or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 281

post #4201 of 37327

If not the 990 Pro, why not the 770 Pro 80 ohm?

post #4202 of 37327

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperCzar View Post

If not the 990 Pro, why not the 770 Pro 80 ohm?


As he said , they are too bassy to be used in games so....

 

post #4203 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post

 


As he said , they are too bassy to be used in games so....

 



Thats really a matter of preference. I have the 770 pro 80 and I find them to be very nice for gaming and I have no problems sound whoring in mw3 (only fps I play). You really need to try headphones out before you make up your mind. I went through 3 pairs before I landed on these

post #4204 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post

 

As he said , they are too bassy to be used in games so....

 

I saw a nice article by NwAvGuy a while back that showed if you use them with a nice low output impedance source they don't sound nearly as boomy as everyone seems to claim. Also, as I'm used to my 8" sub right under my computer desk, the Beyers aren't anywhere near as skull rattling unless I go out of my way to EQ them, so YMMV with them. Worth trying them out as they meet all your requirements IMO.

post #4205 of 37327

Ok, so I've decided to get good Sennheiser headphones for my PC games. The HD 598 mentioned in this guide is far to expensive for me. The cheaper HD 558 however doesn't seem too bad in price, but I am still hesitating. My dad told me that PC audio won't get much better than what a HD 518 can drive, which again is cheaper than the HD 558. I'll be using headphones with a Sound Blaster X-Fi.

Between the HD 558 and the HD 518, which one do you recommend?

post #4206 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladzilla View Post



ok how does the detail not carry over from music to games? 



Because the majority of the game audio is highly compressed. Unlike music where you get to control the source some what.


Edited by Hailin - 2/21/12 at 7:00pm
post #4207 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by silikone View Post

Ok, so I've decided to get good Sennheiser headphones for my PC games. The HD 598 mentioned in this guide is far to expensive for me. The cheaper HD 558 however doesn't seem too bad in price, but I am still hesitating. My dad told me that PC audio won't get much better than what a HD 518 can drive, which again is cheaper than the HD 558. I'll be using headphones with a Sound Blaster X-Fi.

Between the HD 558 and the HD 518, which one do you recommend?



I am running the HD598 out of the my pc audio front port with a Realtek HD onboard. Your X-Fi is a much better card then my setup. They run more then loud enough to make my ears ring. (It runs more then loud enough for my Beyers which are 250ohm. Yes I know ohms rating isn't everything)

I would say HD558's because you can remove the foam in them to see if you like the sound. The foam mod is completely reversible. Read this review of the HD558 here to help with your choice.

Problem is in the 518 range you have a lot of different choices that are probably better. /shrug

 

Edit: I really need to read what I am writing.


Edited by Hailin - 2/21/12 at 7:05pm
post #4208 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by silikone View Post
Ok, so I've decided to get good Sennheiser headphones for my PC games. The HD 598 mentioned in this guide is far to expensive for me. The cheaper HD 558 however doesn't seem too bad in price, but I am still hesitating. My dad told me that PC audio won't get much better than what a HD 518 can drive, which again is cheaper than the HD 558. I'll be using headphones with a Sound Blaster X-Fi.

Between the HD 558 and the HD 518, which one do you recommend?

"my dad told me that "PC audio" (which is?) won't get much better than what a HD518 can drive?

Need more details on what he is saying.

 

Senn HD518 are a good choice for built in sound....but.

You can get the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, sells for $30 and some places (like Fry's) have a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Digital (Dolby Virtual Headphone, 5.1 surround sound).

The Xonar DG can easily power the HD558 (50-Ohm).

You can always go cheap and get the Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) headphones.
 

 

 

post #4209 of 37327

the dt770 pros should only bother you if you are hyper competetive.  The explosive actions might take precedence over foot steps which are more useful to you than the quality of an explosion near you.

 

If you dont need that level of competition by all means the 770's are the safest choice for immersion.  Because lets face it, hearing foot steps the way you do in some of these games is just exploiting the way sounds are reflected in the game world rather than it being realistic.

post #4210 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjikiran View Post

the dt770 pros should only bother you if you are hyper competetive.  The explosive actions might take precedence over foot steps which are more useful to you than the quality of an explosion near you.

 

If you dont need that level of competition by all means the 770's are the safest choice for immersion.  Because lets face it, hearing foot steps the way you do in some of these games is just exploiting the way sounds are reflected in the game world rather than it being realistic.

 

I love when I'm wearing my 770s and I can hear people through the ceiling above me in BF3 and know exactly where they are with CMSS, so priceless.

post #4211 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

"my dad told me that "PC audio" (which is?) won't get much better than what a HD518 can drive?

Need more details on what he is saying.

 

 



I think he implied that sound cards aren't good enough. He has a stereo digital-to-analog converter worth thousands, which I believe is what he refers to as good enough. Since all headphones in the 500 series have the same impedance, I don't quite believe that a decent sound card won't make a difference between the three.

post #4212 of 37327
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjikiran View Post

the dt770 pros should only bother you if you are hyper competetive.  The explosive actions might take precedence over foot steps which are more useful to you than the quality of an explosion near you.

 

If you dont need that level of competition by all means the 770's are the safest choice for immersion.  Because lets face it, hearing foot steps the way you do in some of these games is just exploiting the way sounds are reflected in the game world rather than it being realistic.


Very wise words.

The DT770 Pro 80 is usually found at the same price as the DT990 pro. I would say the DT990 pro is NOTICEABLY better than the 770 Pro 80s. At times, Amazon has a listing for the DT990 pros for around $170. I'd go for them at that price, no problem. At least for you guys. Too much mid bass for me, but I'm sensitive to mid bass as it gives me headaches if it's too tipped upward.

I'd only recommend the 770 Pro 80 IF you needed isolation/noise leakage control, and a whopping amount of bass. They are a a great can for immersion, no denying it, and they have probably the very best surround sound positioning I've ever heard.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/21/12 at 8:22pm
post #4213 of 37327
Thread Starter 
In about 15 hours or less, I expect a Vita in my hands, dammit! biggrin.gif

Next week is also SSX week. Then Mass Effect 3 after that.... OMG... games are coming!
post #4214 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by silikone View Post
I think he implied that sound cards aren't good enough. He has a stereo digital-to-analog converter worth thousands, which I believe is what he refers to as good enough. Since all headphones in the 500 series have the same impedance, I don't quite believe that a decent sound card won't make a difference between the three.

Yes the 518, 558 & 598 are all 50-Ohm.

The 518 will do fine on an unamped connection, but does not improve that much when amped.

Where as the 558 & 598 will improve more when amped, surpassing the 518.
 

 

 

post #4215 of 37327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailin View Post



Because the majority of the game audio is highly compressed. Unlike music where you get to control the source some what.

Dang I thought I found a great all around set
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)