or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 253

post #3781 of 37400
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnybaby View Post

Hi livingplastic,

 

I read your post on the previous page regarding amps for console play and one of those mentioned is the asus xonar usb 2.0.

 

I cant find any information from my searching wether this will work with My HD555's for dolby headphone sound on the ps3? I was just hoping you could confirm that it is compatible. I dont mind getting additonal cables etc if need be but it would nice to have a portable solution i can use with pc and ps3.


Many thanks in advance



Opps.. Sorry about that. Either when I looked it up on google and saw something that made it look like it was compatible or mabey I just assumed because it was usb. Thats some real poop tho if it doesn't. They would have a lot more of the market covered if it was compatible. Boo

post #3782 of 37400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

That game is terrible. Audio is good, but I never felt that Battlefield, Bad Company, or MoH had much in the way of actual directional audio cues, so I wouldn't call them great for virtual surround.



What would you recommend as a game that does have good DH sound? Positional cues or just really good in general. Here is some of the stuff I have on steam. IDK if any of that matters just if you see something that catches your eye. And ofcoarse games outside of this is very welcome. I have access to alot of different games at the moment.

 

Also what about movies? Do you have any recommendations there either? ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 03 20.25.jpgScreenHunter_02 Feb. 03 20.25.jpg

post #3783 of 37400

As software audio games go TF2 has nice positional audio. Considering that Dolby Headphone doesn't care about hardware versus software, it's a pretty good choice. 

post #3784 of 37400

Hello Mad Lust Envy,

 

I followed your advice and bought the Sennheiser PC 360. As a soundcard, I chose the Asus Xonar D1. But I have some questions regarding the settings of the soundcard. Hopefully, someone can help me so I can get the best out of my headset. This is how my Xonar Menu looks like: CLICK.

 

My questions:

- I chose 'game mode', best option I guess? Other options are hi-fi, music and movie.

- Soundchannel: I chose two because I have a headset (2 speakers = 2 channels I guess)

- Samplespeed: I chose the highest setting, 192Khz

- Analog Out: Headphones (again, I have a headset. But what's the difference with the 'soundchannel' option?)

- SPDIF out: I didn't select the 'PCM option' because I have no clue what it means. In that checkbox, I can chose between PCM and Dolby Digital Live

- At default, Dolby Headphone is selected but 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter isn't. Good settings for gaming? And what about the Dolby Pro logic?

- At the bottom right corner, there is a button which says 'GX'. Should I highlight it or not? Google learned me it is Asus' version of 'Creative Alchemy' (whatever that might be) but most people advice to turn it off.

 

Ok guys, I know I have a lot of questions but I want it to be perfect before I connect my headset. :D If you got more tips/advice for me, let me know! I really appreciate it!

 

Thanks in advance and have a good day!

 


Edited by Brick T0p - 2/4/12 at 11:39am
post #3785 of 37400
Thread Starter 
post #3786 of 37400

Would a Fiio E7 Work well with an AD700 for gaming?

 

 

I already have a Xonar DG, would I notice much of a difference if I used the E7?

 

Also, the E5 is ridiculously cheaper, where does that into the mix?

 

Thanks

post #3787 of 37400
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingplastic View Post

A huge help! This makes the asus gui make a ton more sense now. My questions remaining is what gain should I have the hd555 set for the medium or the highest it will go? Also I'm still confused by the "DX" , "GX" and "HF" or hi fi options. I don't see a DX button and it looks like I can't have Hi Fi turned on with dolby headphone turned on. I think I would like to have the highest gain turned on but I don't want to damage my headphones if that would happen.



I would go with setting the gain for medium but just pick which ever fits your volume preferances best. You wont damage the headphone by using the higher gain as you go deaf before that.

 

The GX button is used to simulate EAX effects in older games I think. But instead all it seems to do is to cause crashes, lock-ups etc of the computer so just turn it off and forget about it.

Hi Fi im not sure what it does but I have it turned off for some reason.

DX im not sure where that is so carnt help there.

 

As for game/film suggestions I quite like Left 4 Dead 2 and Call of Pripyat I remember being good but I havnt played that in awhile. Iv found all films work well with it but action scences seem to be able to show it off the DH more.

post #3788 of 37400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapy View Post



I would go with setting the gain for medium but just pick which ever fits your volume preferances best. You wont damage the headphone by using the higher gain as you go deaf before that.

 

The GX button is used to simulate EAX effects in older games I think. But instead all it seems to do is to cause crashes, lock-ups etc of the computer so just turn it off and forget about it.

Hi Fi im not sure what it does but I have it turned off for some reason.

DX im not sure where that is so carnt help there.

 

As for game/film suggestions I quite like Left 4 Dead 2 and Call of Pripyat I remember being good but I havnt played that in awhile. Iv found all films work well with it but action scences seem to be able to show it off the DH more.



Ahhh.. A good reason to start playing some STALKER again. That's helpful with the GX button. I don't think there is a DX button so don't worry about that. I think Hi-Fi will be used for music but I'm just not sure if it does anything. Perhaps a SPDIF out only kind of thing. THe medium gain is the correct choice. I tried it with the High Gain and it was just too bright and sparkly even at low volumes.

 

Waiting on my Stax now. Guy waited a week to ship it Ahhh :(

post #3789 of 37400

Got my Creative Aurvana Live! today.  I am extremely pleased with them.  They're exactly what I was looking for.  I think they improve on the AX720 headset in every way.  

 

IMHO, the 720 headset sounds very chunky (almost v-shaped).  I enjoyed this sound for quite some time until I tried the PC360 which really brought the 720's lack of clarity to light.  Unfortunately, I found the PC360 and HD558 to be abrasive, fatiguing, and borderline tinny to my ears. Then again, I must really like warm sounding headphones.  To my ears, the CAL is a great middle ground.  I find them to have all of the immersive qualities of the 720 without compromising clarity.

 

post #3790 of 37400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick T0p View Post
I followed your advice and bought the Sennheiser PC 360. As a soundcard, I chose the Asus Xonar D1. But I have some questions regarding the settings of the soundcard. Hopefully, someone can help me so I can get the best out of my headset. This is how my Xonar Menu looks like: CLICK.

My questions:

- I chose 'game mode', best option I guess? Other options are hi-fi, music and movie.

- Soundchannel: I chose two because I have a headset (2 speakers = 2 channels I guess)

- Samplespeed: I chose the highest setting, 192Khz

- Analog Out: Headphones (again, I have a headset. But what's the difference with the 'soundchannel' option?)

- SPDIF out: I didn't select the 'PCM option' because I have no clue what it means. In that checkbox, I can chose between PCM and Dolby Digital Live

- At default, Dolby Headphone is selected but 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter isn't. Good settings for gaming? And what about the Dolby Pro logic?

- At the bottom right corner, there is a button which says 'GX'. Should I highlight it or not? Google learned me it is Asus' version of 'Creative Alchemy' (whatever that might be) but most people advice to turn it off.

Ok guys, I know I have a lot of questions but I want it to be perfect before I connect my headset. :D If you got more tips/advice for me, let me know! I really appreciate it!

I'm far from a gaming expert, but here is my two cents.

Game mode sounds right.

Sound Channel, I believe you would set it to 7.1 channel for surround sound with headphones.

Analog out, Headphone (after all a headset is just a headphone with a mic).

S/PDIF  PCM is uncompressed audio, but I've heard that it's only 2-channel with S/PDIF, Dolby Digital live needs to have a decoder at the other end of the S/PDIF cable.

GX is Asus's way of trying to emulate EAX 5.0, mixed results.

 

Hopefully someone with more knowledge, will have better answers.
 

 

 

post #3791 of 37400

I just picked up a xonar dx to play around with myself and was wondering the same thing. I would love to know exactly what the sound channels do. The control panel seems to recommend using 8 for gaming, I don't know why. I have windows set to 7.1 with the control panel set to headphones and the sample rate at 48khz. Other than that I just enable dolby headphone with the second option, cinema. It sounds good to me. I was really impressed with the way that DH sounds in Skyrim. Now that is a big improvement over cmss-3d. 

post #3792 of 37400

My K702s came in.  I'll start comparing them to the Q701s....

 

EDIT:  OK, right away I can tell the bass is DEFINITELY different.  Q701s have more bass.  Sounds like a bass boosted K702....


Edited by chicolom - 2/4/12 at 5:17pm
post #3793 of 37400
Thread Starter 
How much different? TRY and explain, fool! biggrin.gif

<3

What you say will most likely be the deciding factor on whether I get them or not. I've already made the decision to purchase the NFB 5 which should have plenty of power for the foreseeable future, as well as a DAC. rolleyes.gif

The price is considerably less than the $800+ I was almost about to spend on the DAC/AMP, so it leaves me with some money for a complimentary open can. wink.gif
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/4/12 at 5:23pm
post #3794 of 37400
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

My K702s came in.  I'll start comparing them to the Q701s....

 

EDIT:  OK, right away I can tell the bass is DEFINITELY different.  Q701s have more bass.  Sounds like a bass boosted K702....


Score one for the graphs!

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=703&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=2931

post #3795 of 37400
Thread Starter 
maverick, I know this will sound disappointing, but I ended up going with the Audio GD NFB 5 as my DAC/AMP. It has a lot of power and has a DAC. Assuming I like it enough for the D7000, it will keep me from getting something considerably more expensive, and opening funds for the Q701.

I don't have golden ears, so assuming it's 'good enough', I'll be happy with it. I'm more interested in headphones anyways.

With the 2 ohm output impedance (perfect for anything above 16 ohms)

3500mW/25 ohm (D7000 + LOTS of powah) eek.gif
1800mW/50 ohm
900mW/100 ohm
300mW/300 ohm
150mW/600 ohm (almost twice the power of the E9 at 600ohms).

134

It's gonna cost me around $400 in total, compared to 2x as much as I was going to spend on the other, less powerful equipment. I know power ain't everything, but it should help with something like the AKGs, or even Orthos (with that power)...
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/4/12 at 5:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)