or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 252

post #3766 of 37369
Thread Starter 
That game is terrible. Audio is good, but I never felt that Battlefield, Bad Company, or MoH had much in the way of actual directional audio cues, so I wouldn't call them great for virtual surround.
post #3767 of 37369

Hi livingplastic,

 

I read your post on the previous page regarding amps for console play and one of those mentioned is the asus xonar usb 2.0.

 

I cant find any information from my searching wether this will work with My HD555's for dolby headphone sound on the ps3? I was just hoping you could confirm that it is compatible. I dont mind getting additonal cables etc if need be but it would nice to have a portable solution i can use with pc and ps3.


Many thanks in advance

post #3768 of 37369
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnybaby View Post
Hi livingplastic,

I read your post on the previous page regarding amps for console play and one of those mentioned is the asus xonar usb 2.0.

I cant find any information from my searching wether this will work with My HD555's for dolby headphone sound on the ps3? I was just hoping you could confirm that it is compatible. I dont mind getting additonal cables etc if need be but it would nice to have a portable solution i can use with pc and ps3.


Asus Xonar USB 2.0?, are talking about the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card?

The U3 will work with the Senn HD555, on the Windows PC.

The Asus Xonar U3 will not work on the PS3, to the best of my knowledge.

 

 

post #3769 of 37369

Thanks for that PurpleAngel.

 

Yes it didnt seem as if it could, just I read Livingplastic's post and it was listed along with the astro mixamp as a console ready alternative :)

 

Any suggestions about which to go for regarding multi platform support. I have no need for the voice part, just interested in having accurate surround for gaming.

 

 

post #3770 of 37369
Thread Starter 
Get the Turtle Beach DSS 2. Its cheap, and doesn't come with voice chat, but adds functions to personalize DH.
post #3771 of 37369

DSS2 is pretty legit, not as powerful as the Tritton decoder box, but there is no (not that I can hear anyways) noise. I have the PC360 mainly for gaming and use the DSS2 when I do not need the chat as it allows me to EQ the mids up to better hear my foes or in SP to increase immersion. Definitely would need an amp for harder to drive headphones but does a good job with the Senn PC360. On another note I do get aberrations when things get hectic, COD Ground War, with both the Tritton decoder and the DSS2, I don't know if it's due to the decoders processing or what though.

post #3772 of 37369

would be nice if a company would put out a product that combines the benefits of all 3 (Astro mixamp, Tritton decoder, & Dss2). I would like one that allows 3rd party headphones and mics or headsets (Astro), has a puck similar to Tritton (mic on/off switch, voice volume control & game volume control independent of one another), and the EQ (although something more customizable) of the DSS2. Is that asking too much.

post #3773 of 37369
Thread Starter 
How good is the personalization of virtual speaker placement? Aka surround angles.

I dunno how that would help in pure positioning, as DH has a pretty convincing virtual speaker placement, but I'd like to know how well rear speaker placement can get if you move them further behind you as opposed to 45 degrees at default. Rear positional cues have always been DH's weakest area, though with good headphones, it's not much of an issue.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/3/12 at 2:05pm
post #3774 of 37369

I haven't really done a thorough comparison on the VSP yet. I think for me to better gauge that aspect I would need some sort of control type testing in a private match as regular game play is too erratic. I'd do it if someone wants to help me, I game on PS3.

post #3775 of 37369
Thread Starter 
Usually what I do (if you have BLOPS), is to go to combat training and play against bots. When they're busy shooting each other, turn your character around as to hear the gunshots and all behind you.
post #3776 of 37369

It would still not be controlled to where I can really compare apples to apples, but I will give it a shot when i get some time and will report back.

post #3777 of 37369

Sometimes, I find a game with a stationary noisy object, like a noisy generator or fire pit or something like that and walk around it.

post #3778 of 37369
Thread Starter 
The problem with controlled testing is that DH actually works better when you're in the middle of thick action and not TRYING to get positional cues. Like certain speaker tests (like THX), rear placements will never sound like they are behind you. It's only when you're not focused on it that they will actually sound like they're behind you, IMHO.
post #3779 of 37369
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

Sometimes, I find a game with a stationary noisy object, like a noisy generator or fire pit or something like that and walk around it.


That's something I tend to do more than I wanna admit. biggrin.gif

Problem is some games do it better than others. DH is very finicky.
post #3780 of 37369

will try with black ops and let you guys know. The EQ'ing, although leaves a lot to be desired, is very helpful in bringing out certain frequencies to the front. It is a nice feature especially with such a more or less neutral can like the PC360. I also was expecting it to have some noise and was pleasantly surprised it didn't. I would still like the Trittonmixds unit.

 

Quote:
would be nice if a company would put out a product that combines the benefits of all 3 (Astro mixamp, Tritton decoder, & Dss2). I would like one that allows 3rd party headphones and mics or headsets (Astro), has a puck similar to Tritton (mic on/off switch, voice volume control & game volume control independent of one another), and the EQ (although something more customizable) of the DSS2. Is that asking too much.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)