Alright, so I found out about a relatively new software HRTF called "MyEars", what sets this one apart is that you use a web (flash) application to create your own HRTF profile. Interestingly, both it and the company behind Fmod are out of the same town in Australia, so newer Fmod games will have built in support for it. I'm not sure if that means true binaural or not, but I've been testing out my profile in TF2 (a game with its own software sound, so it's a pretty even field for binaural vs. virtual surround), and so far I'm rather impressed. I'm trying to tell if I have any games that have a new enough version of Fmod to support it natively, and if these games give you true binaural audio.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
RHA CL750 – initial impressions Reid Heath Audio are a Scotland-based manufacturer who will be familiar to iFans, with their T10i and T20i all-metal IEMs being prominently displayed in...
Website: LINK Product page: LINK Price: $50 + Shipping The package… The cable arrives in a small cardboard box and just the cable well wrapped inside. Nothing...
The new Crusher wireless from Skullcandy is a great improvement on the old Skullcrushers. The most noticeable improvement is NO EXTERNAL BATTERIES which is very important because a person can spend...
I have been using this for over a year now and use it nearly daily. Extremely versatile component can be used not only for mobile play, but also line out to my receiver (don't yet have funds for...
I purchased these headphones based on reviews, specifications, and looks and I am not disappointed in the least. The initial comfort for the headphones was good, but it took some adjusting to stop...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 237
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3542 of 379621/26/12 at 3:19pmpost #3543 of 379621/26/12 at 3:22pmThread Starterpost #3544 of 379621/26/12 at 3:27pmpost #3545 of 379621/26/12 at 3:50pmThread Starterpost #3546 of 379621/26/12 at 4:12pmQuote:
If you hated the K701 for music, the Q701 you probably won't like. I've found the differences quite large (around 10% improvement), but not enough to make people suddenly love the Q701.
To me, the Q701 just fixes some of the issues I had with the K702. The whole 3 of them.
I don't suggest buying them, but just try them if you ever get a chance. I was never a fan of the K702 for gaming, but love the Q701 for gaming. Most people might find that hard to believe!
Same amps and everything.
My Q701 seems much warmer and fuller sounding than my old K702. The soundstage also feels a lot more accurate and not artificially huge. Not sure how AKG pulled that off.post #3547 of 379621/26/12 at 4:15pmQuote:
Cool. I'm at work right now so I can't mess with it. I'll have to try it.post #3548 of 379621/26/12 at 4:17pmThread Starterpost #3549 of 379621/26/12 at 4:32pmpost #3550 of 379621/26/12 at 4:32pmpost #3551 of 379621/26/12 at 5:13pm
They've been under $250 or quite awhile. If you're patient it's easy to find a pair for even cheaper as an open box from Amazon Warehouse deals. I scored my pair for $235 about 3 months ago. Listed as like new, but wasn't even open. Just had a big dent in the box.
I wish they came in white with the same color of pads as found on the K701.
Kind of annoying how the color you want is always priced higher. Wanted the white colored one for some reason.
Quote:post #3552 of 379621/26/12 at 6:02pmpost #3553 of 379621/26/12 at 6:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Edit: Hmm... are they really fun for music? Because considering how I don't have much use for the DT990 now that I have the D7000s, I might benefit more from the AKGs.
What scares me is that they'll sound reminiscent to the K701 which I hated for music, unless I raped them with bass boosts from the E5 and E7.
....Yeah, the bass didn't have the quantity I desired, and the mids were artificial sounding. Treble and bass QUALITY were great though.
I like them A LOT for music. But If you hated the K701, I'm not sure they could change your opinion much. I think the bass is perfect, not too much and not too little. If you look at the headroom graph for them, that's what you can expect. I don't think the DT990's have too much either. The CALs, do have too much for classical music, but are still OK for other genres - although If I listen to them for too long they could probably give me a headache.
I don't know about the artificial mids, I'm not really sure what that means/sounds like.
Edited by chicolom - 1/26/12 at 6:11pmpost #3554 of 379621/26/12 at 6:53pm
Well the HD 598 are going to market. I just can't take the sound signature and the pads. I know people say that they are some of the most comfortable around I was constantly irritated by the shape and where they clamped. Which is weird because the clamping wasn't hard or painful. I just found myself adjusting them constantly and was never happy with the position. I keep going back to my Superlux with those cheap awful round pads. So oval is out for me. Back to the drawing board.
I think I need to do some reading and research some comparisons between some Beyers and AKG's. More rum first though.
Quick question though will the E17 play nice with the mixamp? Will the dac in it strip Dolby Headphone from the mixamp? I know they are probably stupid questions but I thought I would ask anyways.post #3555 of 379621/26/12 at 6:58pmThread StarterYou absolutely cannot use a DAC with the Mixamp. With the E17, all you will be using is the internal amp. Also, always use the Mixamp as the first part of the audio chain connected directly to the source so Dolby Headphone can be processed.
edit: Guys, looks like I'm shifting priorities. I'm returning the DT990/600, and cancelling the Audio-GD stuff. I will be keeping my D7000.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions 3 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 27 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 39 seconds ago
- › AKG K240DF quick first impressions... Now with pics! 1 minute ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Wyrd 2 for sale 1 minute ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo vs. OPPO HA-2SE Comparison Review 2 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing NightOwl Carbon & NightHawk Carbon. Next Generation... 2 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Jackpot77
- › MEE audio - MMCX SILVER-PLATED CABLE by Zelda
- › Skullcandy Crusher Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphone with Mic -... by fusiondragon
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by mokler
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by mokler
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by td2004
- › Blue Ever Blue Model 1001 by B9Scrambler
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear