Alright, so I found out about a relatively new software HRTF called "MyEars", what sets this one apart is that you use a web (flash) application to create your own HRTF profile. Interestingly, both it and the company behind Fmod are out of the same town in Australia, so newer Fmod games will have built in support for it. I'm not sure if that means true binaural or not, but I've been testing out my profile in TF2 (a game with its own software sound, so it's a pretty even field for binaural vs. virtual surround), and so far I'm rather impressed. I'm trying to tell if I have any games that have a new enough version of Fmod to support it natively, and if these games give you true binaural audio.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction With thanks to my esteemed colleague and front page superstar @glassmonkey for fronting this review spectacular. 3 cheers also go out to Iain and the rest of the RHA team for...
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 237
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3542 of 374671/26/12 at 3:19pmpost #3543 of 374671/26/12 at 3:22pmThread Starterpost #3544 of 374671/26/12 at 3:27pmpost #3545 of 374671/26/12 at 3:50pmThread Starterpost #3546 of 374671/26/12 at 4:12pmQuote:
If you hated the K701 for music, the Q701 you probably won't like. I've found the differences quite large (around 10% improvement), but not enough to make people suddenly love the Q701.
To me, the Q701 just fixes some of the issues I had with the K702. The whole 3 of them.
I don't suggest buying them, but just try them if you ever get a chance. I was never a fan of the K702 for gaming, but love the Q701 for gaming. Most people might find that hard to believe!
Same amps and everything.
My Q701 seems much warmer and fuller sounding than my old K702. The soundstage also feels a lot more accurate and not artificially huge. Not sure how AKG pulled that off.post #3547 of 374671/26/12 at 4:15pmQuote:
Cool. I'm at work right now so I can't mess with it. I'll have to try it.post #3548 of 374671/26/12 at 4:17pmThread Starterpost #3549 of 374671/26/12 at 4:32pmpost #3550 of 374671/26/12 at 4:32pmpost #3551 of 374671/26/12 at 5:13pm
They've been under $250 or quite awhile. If you're patient it's easy to find a pair for even cheaper as an open box from Amazon Warehouse deals. I scored my pair for $235 about 3 months ago. Listed as like new, but wasn't even open. Just had a big dent in the box.
I wish they came in white with the same color of pads as found on the K701.
Kind of annoying how the color you want is always priced higher. Wanted the white colored one for some reason.
Quote:post #3552 of 374671/26/12 at 6:02pmpost #3553 of 374671/26/12 at 6:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Edit: Hmm... are they really fun for music? Because considering how I don't have much use for the DT990 now that I have the D7000s, I might benefit more from the AKGs.
What scares me is that they'll sound reminiscent to the K701 which I hated for music, unless I raped them with bass boosts from the E5 and E7.
....Yeah, the bass didn't have the quantity I desired, and the mids were artificial sounding. Treble and bass QUALITY were great though.
I like them A LOT for music. But If you hated the K701, I'm not sure they could change your opinion much. I think the bass is perfect, not too much and not too little. If you look at the headroom graph for them, that's what you can expect. I don't think the DT990's have too much either. The CALs, do have too much for classical music, but are still OK for other genres - although If I listen to them for too long they could probably give me a headache.
I don't know about the artificial mids, I'm not really sure what that means/sounds like.
Edited by chicolom - 1/26/12 at 6:11pmpost #3554 of 374671/26/12 at 6:53pm
Well the HD 598 are going to market. I just can't take the sound signature and the pads. I know people say that they are some of the most comfortable around I was constantly irritated by the shape and where they clamped. Which is weird because the clamping wasn't hard or painful. I just found myself adjusting them constantly and was never happy with the position. I keep going back to my Superlux with those cheap awful round pads. So oval is out for me. Back to the drawing board.
I think I need to do some reading and research some comparisons between some Beyers and AKG's. More rum first though.
Quick question though will the E17 play nice with the mixamp? Will the dac in it strip Dolby Headphone from the mixamp? I know they are probably stupid questions but I thought I would ask anyways.post #3555 of 374671/26/12 at 6:58pmThread StarterYou absolutely cannot use a DAC with the Mixamp. With the E17, all you will be using is the internal amp. Also, always use the Mixamp as the first part of the audio chain connected directly to the source so Dolby Headphone can be processed.
edit: Guys, looks like I'm shifting priorities. I'm returning the DT990/600, and cancelling the Audio-GD stuff. I will be keeping my D7000.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 1 minute ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 1 minute ago
- › iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page... 3 minutes ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones you regretted buying the most 5 minutes ago
- › E-MU Wooden Series Headphones 6 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 8 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 8 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 10 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 33 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 15 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Takeanidea
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear