Lol, the only thing they changed about the 2011 revamp is that pads. The pads add more bass. Same drivers, same headphones.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 23post #331 of 386542/1/11 at 9:10pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #332 of 386542/1/11 at 10:03pm
When I used to game, the general concensus was that you needed the headphones to have a USB. I noticed that a few of the cans don't come with USB attachments, the rest I'm unsure of. Do you find it as important, or do you use an adapter?post #333 of 386542/1/11 at 10:18pm
The Astro Mixamp, being the key factor in this thread, is connected via USB to either PC or consoles (for different reasons). This allows any conventional headphone to be used, so no USB connection is needed from the headphones themselves.post #334 of 386542/1/11 at 10:21pmpost #335 of 386542/1/11 at 10:53pm
If you're talking about headphones/headsets that come with a USB sound card or device of sorts, the Mixamp acts in place of this and provides far superior results.
A lot of this information is already available on the first page and post of this thread. If you need more specific information on the Mixamp itself, the official page is here.post #336 of 386542/2/11 at 12:01am
Arc, you mentioned CS so I'm guessing you game on the PC? I really hope you don't play CS on the xbox, haha. Anyways, a soundcard will grant the same effect as a mixamp, granted you get an X-fi or a card with dolby headphone.post #337 of 386542/2/11 at 3:16amQuote:I really hope you don't play CS on the xbox, haha. Anyways, a soundcard will grant the same effect as a mixamp, granted you get an X-fi or a card with dolby headphone.
+1 PC Gaming using a soundcard with Dolby Headphone (ASUS Xonar) is a far better solution than using a mixamp (flexible config & better audio as standard).
Does the mixamp even have a DAC for direct PC use via USB?post #338 of 386542/2/11 at 5:10amQuote:
Yes. See page 25.post #339 of 386542/2/11 at 10:46amQuote:Originally Posted by jronan2Quote:Originally Posted by StylesQuote:Originally Posted by jronan2
I want a gaming solution before anything. I have a nice set up xbox slim wired controller, razr onza on the way, viewsonic 2250 led monitor astro mixamp 2010. Right now i'm running the razer carcharias just because i got them for so cheap and the sound quality is actually really good. The mic on it blows tho for some reason the mixamp doesn't power it well enough becuase the mic is crazy sensitive on pc. I did try the DT990 very quickly didn't really give it a deserving shot but I do like to play with a mic. I have thought about the pc 360's but on the mlg forum it just that a lot of people didn't think they were as amazing as they hoped they would be. I would take your opinion over many tho since you do have audiophile quality equipment and a lot of experience with headphones since your always changing lol. I'm gonna try and be patient tho and continue to research, but to me its stupis to have a $130 mixamp with a $70 headset
From your set up it looks like your on top of your game comp wise with those tools. I missed the pre order on the Onza, blam! sucks. I can say that the mic on the Beyer MMX 300 is top notch and the sound cant be touched by the A40 set. See my pics.
how much did the mmx 330's cost? Prices I'm looking at are mighty pricey, def an option to consider tho. If I'm going to sacrifice for a headset tho it's def got to have a very good mic tho. Like I said I'm a member over at MLG forums and everyone raved about the razer carcharias being up to par with many headsets and even better than most. I can vouch for the sound quality they really are good, it's just the mic is really bad its not responsive at all i almost have to yell for anyone to hear me clearly. If the mic was somewhat decent we wouldn't be having this convo. And I don't even use my mic that often I find with black ops I talk less and less. When i was playing Reach I was communicating every match. Even though I don't use my mic that often I really want to have that option when things get serious. It looks like the PC 360 or MMX 300 are probably the best option. I dont care how good the reviews are on the 2011 a40 headset I probably won't even consider it.
Gaming is a hobby for me and I play Reach with people that count on communication. We have leagues that are for fun, but we play to win! I got my MMX 300 for $250 from earphonesolutions.com before x-mas on special. A week later they went back up to $300. I bought the mixamp for $120 new. It was basically my x-mas gift "from my wife" this year, lol. But I wouldn't have it any other way now. I play in a dedicated gaming room at my house so I guess you could say I take it seriously. The sound is the best I have had with no hiss like I have had with wireless Dolby Digital set ups from Turtlebeach. I hear sounds in games that I hadn't heard before. The mic is na adult mic as in the boom places the mic correctly. All others that I have used don't place the mic in front of your mouth. I'll get a pic of mine with the foam off, nice build and design and there is more technical stuff about it on Beyer's site you should read for yourself as well. I would love to do a side by side with mine and the PC 360, but I know I like the closed sound I get from the MMX 300 for sure. I am going to add a headphone amp soon to get the total soundstage I know I can get out of them. I'm going to try the E9 and the Asgard, one of them will end up at work for my music desk top set up for work and the other will be for the mixamp and gaming.post #340 of 386542/2/11 at 12:00pm
A dedicated room..that's pretty sick! I have a corner of my room dedicated to gaming I should post some pictures of my set up it's pretty basic, but real clean and makes sense a lot of people seem to like it. I think I'm going to go with the PC360's if I can get them for $180. The MMX 300 is just too expensive at this point and even tho there closed I have the DT990 already to mess around with gaming. When I play Need For Speed or Forza 3 the DT 990's will be used. But I'm done for a while lol. Since christmas I have bought dt990, e7/e9 combo, astro mixamp, ipod touch 4th gen, xbox slim cuz i got red ring on christmas day lol, and the ath m50's were a present from my gf. So whatever happens I am done for a while and gonna enjoy this stuff. I'm getting like Mad Lust Envy I can't do that anymore lol. Anyone give me the most reliable/cheapest place to buy? I'm thinking ebay right?post #341 of 386542/2/11 at 12:20pm
The price is good for those and you did just get a ton of stuff.
For everyone following this thread I would like to know if you have gamed with your Mixamp -> E9 -> DT990? If so how was that set up compared to running just the Mixamp -> DT990?
sent you a pm too.post #342 of 386542/2/11 at 12:40pmQuote:
I need more time to test out the e9 mixamp dt 990 but they sounded real good i didn't know the soundstage was so big, pleasantly surprised. I didn't use them that much tho because i can't stand playing without a mic, and i only had everything for a short time. They will be used for my racing games before anything, and for fps when i don't care about communicating.
post #343 of 386542/2/11 at 5:00pmpost #344 of 386542/2/11 at 5:47pm
Quote:Originally Posted by Xpresser
Doorbell just rang and....
I bought the PC 360 off ebay 1 week ago today from razordogdeals2008. It was shipped from Minnesota to Oregon. Highly recommended seller. Make him an offer.
Bought them off the same dude for $179 like 3 hours ago lol..he had the best track record and best prices...what shipping service does he use?post #345 of 386542/2/11 at 5:57pm
UPS. I got it for $180 so we are right there. No padding/peanuts in packaging but everything looks fine. There is absolutely zero documentation from Sennheiser. Not even a warranty card in the box. No big deal but I think it's the first time I've seen nothing in a box except for the product itself. I looked on Youtube (PC 360 Unboxing) to confirm I didn't get a return or open item. Watched 3 different videos and they were all the same...just the headset in the box.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Music Game IX 9 seconds ago
- › They might be Kings: Focal Utopia, Sony MDR-Z1R, HiFiMan HE1000 V2... 28 seconds ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 44 seconds ago
- › Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › The earphone game just got a lot more SIRIUS. The new five driver... 3 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 4 minutes ago
- › Classical music discussion, what do you like? 5 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 5 minutes ago
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear