or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 216

post #3226 of 37464

Wups. I misread him :)

post #3227 of 37464
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny0990 View Post

Can the C 2.2 be chained with the  astro mixamp? Also, does it come with a remote? I've been contemplating whether to grab it or not.


Yes, the C-2.2 has RCA in, so you would just hook up a 3.5mm male to RCA male cable. The 3.5mm goes into the Mixamp's headphone out.

Somebody please confirm that the Mixamp Pro can output Dolby Headphone audio through the USB. I figured it'd do stereo.

I already know the Mixamp will work properly on PC through an optical out, assuming audio settings on the PC are set to put out Dolby Digital. It is a hassle though, so I just leave PC audio in stereo for my real DACs (E7 now, NFB 3.1 in a few weeks).
post #3228 of 37464

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooplow View Post

Alright, thanks for your replies. So final setup should look something like this:

 

X-fi card > S/pdif > DAC > Headphone

 

Would the card come with the cables, or do I have to purchase seperately? 


Ideally, yes, though the cost of a DAC that can actually outdo the X-Fi Titanium HD or any other internal sound card won't come cheap from what I've heard. It's up to you if you want to use the savings on a basic X-Fi Titanium over the Titanium HD for an external DAC.

 

I don't know about the lower-end Titanium models, but the X-Fi Prelude, X-Fi Forte, and X-Fi Titanium HD all came with Toslink/optical S/PDIF cables. I'd expect no less even from the lower-end cards.

post #3229 of 37464
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post



You have the Mixamp Pro, not the older A40 Mixamp revision, right?



Yep, the Pro 2011 version (I got it in Nov)

post #3230 of 37464

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez82 View Post

Yep, the Pro 2011 version (I got it in Nov)


Well, that's not reassuring. The Mixamp Pro's supposed to have better USB functionality.

 

Did the Windows sound control panel allow you to set the Mixamp to 5.1 or 7.1 instead of plain stereo?

post #3231 of 37464
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 


Well, that's not reassuring. The Mixamp Pro's supposed to have better USB functionality.

 

Did the Windows sound control panel allow you to set the Mixamp to 5.1 or 7.1 instead of plain stereo?



The new MixAmp can switch between 5.1 and 7.1? I thought games don't code in 7.1?

FWIW the old MixAmp switches between surround and stereo by pressing the Dolby Digital button on the amp itself.

post #3232 of 37464
Thread Starter 
No such thing as 7.1. Its still decoding the same way as the original Mixamp. They can state its 7.1 because there aren't any actual speakers, and awhole 360 degree soundfield is virtualized. Hell, they can call it 20.1 and they could get away with it. Its still a 5.1 DD signal turned into Room 2 Dolby Headphone.
post #3233 of 37464
Is the Mixamp Pro wired or wireless? It seems to be kind of vague about it on the Astro website.

EDIT: In retrospect, this seems like a fairly stupid question.
Edited by Tus-Chan - 1/16/12 at 7:12pm
post #3234 of 37464
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 


Well, that's not reassuring. The Mixamp Pro's supposed to have better USB functionality.

 

Did the Windows sound control panel allow you to set the Mixamp to 5.1 or 7.1 instead of plain stereo?


 

The original Version 1 wired mixamp's USB port was for power only - no data was passed through.  The only reason to plug in the USB was for a power source.  The second version of the wired mixamp (now called "Mixamp Pro") had a data USB port, so it could be used for power and for sending/receiving audio.

 

 

Maybe someone should email Astro about whether the wired mixamp can do dolby headphone through USB only - and if so, how to set it up...


Edited by chicolom - 1/16/12 at 7:16pm
post #3235 of 37464

You know I think it's sad that there are so many Astro headphone fans. I mean it seems to be just ignorant gamers. I hope I don't offend anyone. I've just done a lot of research and people with little audio knowledge praise astro's headsets. I feel bad for people spending that amount of money on a mediocre headset. Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me. You have saved me from disappointment.

post #3236 of 37464
Thread Starter 
It's just that they haven't done their homework, and go off whatever stuff like MLG recommends.

These are typically the type of people who think Beats and Bose are what's the best in headphone audio.

I wouldn't call them stupid or anything, just not well informed. The Astro A40 was my first headset because I was looking for the best, and happened upon a site where they were recommended to me. Ironically, I still felt severely underwhelmed by them even though I knew next to nothing about headphones. I then asked for something better where I was recommended the AD700s. That's really what got me into this hobby. They blew me away.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/16/12 at 7:44pm
post #3237 of 37464

People probably become Astro headphone fans because of the pricing too. MixAmp alone just doesn't seem worth it when compared to MixAmp + A40 (or A30), so that attracts buyers.

post #3238 of 37464

Hi guys, I just got a pair DT 880s yesterday evening, truly impressed. I am planning for this setup for gaming, any comments:

 

Xonar DG sound card (for Dolby Headphone) ---> FiiO E11 --> DT880s

post #3239 of 37464


I agree completely. That's why I'm happy I will be getting a headset close to something like the AD700s. :) According to your ratings at least. Would I be wasting money by getting two set of cans? Will something like the DT900s be that much more immersive than the PC 360s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

It's just that they haven't done their homework, and go off whatever stuff like MLG recommends.
These are typically the type of people who think Beats and Bose are what's the best in headphone audio.
I wouldn't call them stupid or anything, just not well informed. The Astro A40 was my first headset because I was looking for the best, and happened upon a site where they were recommended to me. Ironically, I still felt severely underwhelmed by them even though I knew next to nothing about headphones. I then asked for something better where I was recommended the AD700s. That's really what got me into this hobby. They blew me away.


 

post #3240 of 37464
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghost23 View Post


I agree completely. That's why I'm happy I will be getting a headset close to something like the AD700s. :) According to your ratings at least. Would I be wasting money by getting two set of cans? Will something like the DT900s be that much more immersive than the PC 360s?



 


In terms of immersion, the DT990 destroys the PC360. I couldn't see myself with just the PC360 for both competitive and immersive gaming.

To be honest, I've been using just the DT990s lately. Only when I feel the need to chat, do I use the PC360, which is pretty much never now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)