or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 210

post #3136 of 37355

Is the Koss Porta Pro a good choice for gaming? I heard it has good bass.

post #3137 of 37355

It seems my budget has extended some. I was wondering if there are any cans that provide the same convinence as the PC 360s but with better SQ? I came across the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 PC Gaming Premium Digital Headset. How do these compare to the PC 360 in SQ? Do they pare well with the mixamp?

 

It also seems the past couple pages people are saying the wireless mixamp comes with a hiss. I asked MLE about 10 pages back if there was any major difference between wireless and wired mixamp. I play in my living room so the wireless is more practical. Still, I do not want to spend $130 on a mixamp and end up with a noticeable hissing sound. I'm not an audiophile, but my ears are very sensitive to sound. I can pick out small details that will drive me nuts.

 

If the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 PC Gaming Premium Digital Headset much better than the pc 360s, MLE, would you still recommend the DT 990s for immersion? If so which model/ohms? Thanks for future thoughts.

post #3138 of 37355

The MMX 300 are 250 Ohm so I dunno if the mixamp can handle it.  

post #3139 of 37355


Well, then I can always double amp no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post

The MMX 300 are 250 Ohm so I dunno if the mixamp can handle it.  



 

post #3140 of 37355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos View Post

The MMX 300 are 250 Ohm so I dunno if the mixamp can handle it.  



really?  that surprises me cause the mixamp has no trouble at all handling them.  maybe there are different versions?

post #3141 of 37355

Do you own a pair Jae304? If so, how are they? Are you able to compare them to the PC 360s?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae304 View Post



really?  that surprises me cause the mixamp has no trouble at all handling them.  maybe there are different versions?



 

post #3142 of 37355

Based on impedance alone, there's no sure evidence the MixAmp can't handle the MMX. My DT 880 are 250 ohms and the MixAmp can drive them--the knob is pretty "high" (estimated 70-80% max volume) but it is possible.

post #3143 of 37355
Thread Starter 
Amazon through Electronics Expo is selling the New in open box Denon D7000s for $585 again. I had to jump at it. Order has been placed. biggrin.gif

FWIR, Electronics Expo states 'new in open box', because (APPARENTLY) they open the box just to sell the D7000 at lower price. Time will tell. My original D7000 was from them, and I had no issues.



As for the MMX300...

The MMX300 won't have a problem with the Mixamp, based off friends on AVSForum who own them.

The MMX300 will have a funner sound than the PC360, but won't reach the soundstage and overall balance of the PC360. As a whole, I do believe the MMX300 will have a higher quality sound, but won't be as competitive friendly as the PC360. The problem with the MMX300 is like the DT770... some are bass heavy, some are bass light, even the same model... so you don't know which one you're going to get. Going off recent memory, the newer DT770/32ohms are quite bass light, so expect the MMX300 to be the same. Should work well for competitive gaming.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/13/12 at 3:20am
post #3144 of 37355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Amazon through Electronics Expo is selling the New in open box Denon D7000s for $585 again. I had to jump at it. Order has been placed. biggrin.gif
FWIR, Electronics Expo states 'new in open box', because they open the box just to sell the D7000 at lower price. Time will tell. My original D7000 was from them, and I had no issues.
 


I see you've swiftly added it to your list as well dt880smile.png

post #3145 of 37355
Thread Starter 
Hell yeah, those are my babies. I MIGHT...MIGHT return the DT990, that way I can order the C-2.2 amp, asap. I don't want to, but daddy needs some cash money! frown.gif
post #3146 of 37355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghost23 View Post


Well, then I can always double amp no?



 


I'm not totally sure what you mean by double amp, but I think the answer is no.  You don't want to feed an amplified output into a input designed for a line signal.  If you do that, it no longer really matters what headphones you're using as far as sound quality is concerned.

 

post #3147 of 37355
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghost23 View Post

It seems my budget has extended some. I was wondering if there are any cans that provide the same convinence as the PC 360s but with better SQ? I came across the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 PC Gaming Premium Digital Headset. How do these compare to the PC 360 in SQ? Do they pare well with the mixamp?

 

It also seems the past couple pages people are saying the wireless mixamp comes with a hiss. I asked MLE about 10 pages back if there was any major difference between wireless and wired mixamp. I play in my living room so the wireless is more practical. Still, I do not want to spend $130 on a mixamp and end up with a noticeable hissing sound. I'm not an audiophile, but my ears are very sensitive to sound. I can pick out small details that will drive me nuts.

 

If the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 PC Gaming Premium Digital Headset much better than the pc 360s, MLE, would you still recommend the DT 990s for immersion? If so which model/ohms? Thanks for future thoughts.


FWIR, the PC360 and MMX300 are on par with each other, One is open, the other isn't, so they will give you a very different sound. One thing to consider is that if you're gonna be using a mic to talk, I will assume that sound leaking isn't gonna be an issue, as your voice will undoubtedly be louder than whatever sound is leaking from the headphones. I'd get the PC360. The only Premium DT770 I owned was the 600ohm, and it was a rare super bassy one, which I highly doubt the MMX300 will sound anything like. I just know I always prefer the more open soundstage of open cans vs closed. Hell, even the D7000 can't compare to the DT990 in how impressive soundstage can be for games.

If you like some bass, the DT990 Pro would be the can to get for immersion. Assuming you're not gonna use a mic with them, the Mixamp would be enough for the purpose of gaming. The DT990/600 is better, but an external amp after the Mixamp is a definite necessity.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/13/12 at 3:36am
post #3148 of 37355

@ Mad Lust Envy

As the thread is growing rather quickly, you probably missed my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfnity View Post

Hi all,

My first post, but I've read quite a bit recently.

I wrote Mad Lust Envy a PM, but I figured someone else might benefit from the answers to my questions.

I just got the wireless mmixamp 5.8, and the hiss is quite audible for me. I wonder if it is because of the integrated amp (probably the same one as in the wired pro model) or because of the wireless transmission. The transmission should be digital, so that seems rather unlikely as well. I think they just called it 'secure' on the asto HP. I've just tested it directly with my akg k 540 and senns HD 485, but I plan on using it with the o2 amp and Q701phones. I rather like the wireless freedom (with low impedance phones), but the hiss kinda bothers me, as I'd like to use it for movies as well. It's at the same level up to about 12 o'clock and gets noticeably louder from there.

1) Anyways, is the hiss in the 5.8 louder, than in the wired pro model?

2) Would you recommed exchanging it for the pro? I don't care about the extra connectivity on the pro and there's no price difference for me (the cheaper pro would cost the same, if I factor in shipping costs for the exchange).

3) Is the integrated DAC any good? Would be practical to use it for music (via optical out from the PC), as it's probably better than the typical onboard sound card.

4) Does a headphone amp affect the hiss in any way? (good or bad)

The Turtle Beach DSS is supposed to have an even louder hiss than the mixamps. I tried the headphone out on the XP500 base station, and the hiss on the mixamp was louder.

5) Did someone already test the new DSS2?  Is it comparable to the DSS in terms of hiss? Altering the surround angles would be neat, I guess.

 

thx for all your input.
 


I'd also like to contribute with my experiences with the zalman clip-on mic: It's better than headphones without any mic, but that's about it. oyu can record voice messages alright, but especially with closed cans it's rather inconvenient.

 

post #3149 of 37355
Thread Starter 
The wireless hiss is louder than the wired, which is pretty silent in comparison.

As for attaching an external amp, the hiss didn't seem to be affected or amplified. I assume that as long as the extrenal amp is quite itself, you will only hear the hiss from the Mixamp itself. i tried it two ways:

Maxing out the wireless master volume, and controlling the volume with the external amp.

Leaving the Mixamp at a lower volume for less hiss, and raising the volume on the external amp.

The hiss was the same either way, so I'd still recommend maxing out the Mixamp for the most dynamic range.




Also, if you're using insensitive headphones like say the DT990/600ohm, the hiss is almost non-existent, even amplified.

The hiss doesn't bother me enough to replace the wireless for the Pro.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/13/12 at 4:12am
post #3150 of 37355


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post




Maxing out the wireless master volume, and controlling the volume with the external amp.

Leaving the Mixamp at a lower volume for less hiss, and raising the volume on the external amp.

The hiss was the same either way, so I'd still recommend maxing out the Mixamp for the most dynamic range.

 

What is your volume set to on your external amp (E9?) when you max out the mixamp?  Seems like it would be pretty low.  As I'm sure you know, potentiometers don't like to be near the extremes of their range (channel imbalance and what not).  The mixamp should have more distortion at it's extreme loud range too, so the external amp is just amplifying that distortion, right?

 

It seems like the best volume to set the mixamp would be the equivalent of a line-out level signal.  So, say if your external amp gets loud at 11 o'clock when used with a DAC (sending a line out signal), you should set mixamp to a volume level that also makes the external amp get loud at 11 o'clock, making the mixamp create a similar signal level to the line-out signal from the DAC.

 

The E9 is supposed to clip with signals above 2.1 vrms anyway, which I would definitely think a maxed out mixamp would be....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)