or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 161

post #2401 of 37458

Ok, guys. I have another question for you. I have a fairly high end Soundblaster Soundcard. I'm not sure of which model it is, but it is a Fatality X-FI Pro blah blah. It was top of the line as of a year or two ago. I also have a fairly high end Yamaha receiver capable of 7.1 surround sound, I believe I listed the model number elsewhere. Finally, I have the Mixamp 5.8.

 

Which should I use to power my PC 360's for Computer gaming? Should I hook the headphones directly up to the Soundcard? Should I hook the headphones up to my receiver, with only an HDMI running from my soundcard to my Yamaha, or should I work the Mixamp into the picture? I'm a bit lost, as it isn't quite so simple as it will be with console gaming.

post #2402 of 37458

llSol: I think we've given as many recommendations as we can give, it's time for you to make a choice based on the information we've made available.

 

Evarin: start with the end in mind--in this case, using stereo headphones to simulate surround sound. The MixAmp can obviously do that, it's what the product was designed for, but it needs your sound card to have the right inputs. As was pointed out a page or 2 ago, you need to ensure that your sound card can output a 5.1/7.1 signal, and the MixAmp in particular requires a digital/optical input.

post #2403 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlSol View Post
What would the final answer be? Which headphone+amp would you buy if you were me?

As i habe previously stated, the main factor, to me, is to have a great and immersive experience and, just in a second time, a competitive one (the ideal Marks would then be 9fun/7comp or something like that.. Do you think it's possible with headphones+amp in my price range?? (also, do you think that with an amp that features bass boost, like mixamp, the overall sound of the Ad700s would benefit from that, thus improving the "fun" factor?)

thanks again!


My ATH-AD700s when hooked up to my Essence STX sound a little "fuuny" in the bass.

It's trying harder to make the bass it can not do.

 

 

post #2404 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evarin View Post
Ok, guys. I have another question for you. I have a fairly high end Soundblaster Soundcard. I'm not sure of which model it is, but it is a Fatality X-FI Pro blah blah. It was top of the line as of a year or two ago. I also have a fairly high end Yamaha receiver capable of 7.1 surround sound, I believe I listed the model number elsewhere. Finally, I have the Mixamp 5.8.

Which should I use to power my PC 360's for Computer gaming? Should I hook the headphones directly up to the Soundcard? Should I hook the headphones up to my receiver, with only an HDMI running from my soundcard to my Yamaha, or should I work the Mixamp into the picture? I'm a bit lost, as it isn't quite so simple as it will be with console gaming.


I think the Yamaha and the Astro Mix-Amp are about equal.

The Mix-Amp can do Dolby headphone and Yamaha has Silent Cinema, which functions like Dolby Headphone.

The Sound Blaster has CMSS-3D for headphones.

The Yamaha would be best for Blu-ray movies.

For FPS, the Sound Blasters CMSS-3D might have a slight edge for location.

Some games sound better/fuller with Dolby over CMSS-3D.

I do not know if games have audio designed specifically to work with Yamaha's Silent Cinema.

Now Yamaha's Silent Cinema maybe was designed by really smart and experienced audio engineers.

Personally, I would use the Yamaha, It should have the best sound quality and I do not play FPS.

 

 

post #2405 of 37458

Thanks again, guys. I had the package shipped to the wrong damn house, so now I need to wait another 2-5 days before I get my hands on them. Fun times.

post #2406 of 37458

Imo i find the fostex t50rp better for gaming then the dt880.

 

Your ability to judge where the sounds are comeing from are better, due to dynamic drivers and the cup and such, what fostex have done is made it sound better with virtual sound.

 

You guys should try the t50rp for gaming, soundstage is big enough along with the odd way it sounds i find dolby headphone makes these t50rp well put it bluntly with me i prefer dolby headphone off.

 

I find the sound and the sound waves to be narrower on the dt880 compared to t50rp.

 

This headphone makes you feel as if you were there plus the clarity is alot and without careful listening it is the t50rp as it always gets your attention.

 

I have owned the pc 350 and well i prefer the t50rp over that.


Edited by holylucifer - 11/23/11 at 2:05pm
post #2407 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evarin View Post

As stupid as it sounds, I am just going to go with the PC 360's. I've read up to page .... 107 and I just can't make up my mind on the higher-end headphones. I am now regretting buying the Mixamp 5.8 due to possibility of hissing. I imagine this will drive me up the wall more than anything else. I should have bought a wired amp, but I didn't know enough at the time to be wary of it. I need to take a break from reading all this stuff. Denon2000, DT770-990's, A900's, HD 595's, E9's or Lyr amps...It is enough to drive a noob like myself crazy.


 

After a couple of weeks with my Astro Mixamp 5.8 and PC360, I can attest to the fact that I DO hear some hiss.  However, I can only hear it when there is no sound playing and I am in a quiet environment.  Addtionally, you can easily defeat the hiss by turning the volume control on the headset down a little, and then boosting the volume on the mixamp 5.8 rx a little to compensate.  Doing so effectively decreases the noise floor, making the hiss go away completely (for me and my hearing at least).

 

Overall I'm pretty happy with this combo.  I was a little surprised (and very impressed) by the fit and finish of the mixamp unit.  The base has a nice weighty feel, and the RX unit is solid.  The knobs have a very nice feel when adjusting volume or audio mix.  My only two real complaints about my setup are:

 

1) microphone position is very far forward such that it can catch your breath (however I have fine tuned it to a point where this does not seem as severe)

2) excessive cable length running from the PC360 to the mixamp 5.8 rx.  Moving/walking around with the mixamp 5.8 is actually a mild tripping hazard, because if I'm not careful I could easily see myself tripping over the excess cable.  It also somewhat defeats the wireless aspect of the 5.8 if I have to drag along a giant coil of headphone cable everywhere I walk.  I intend to fix this by cutting the PC360 headphone cable and soldering in an inline 4-pole TRRS jack on the headphones.  Then have 2 connector cables- one short one for use with the mixamp (also will negate the need for the Y-splitter), and one long one for use on the PC.  Anyone know a good source for these parts (M+F TRRS connectors, 4-conductor cable)?

 

Lastly, since I also have surround sound speakers, I utilize the optical pass-through function of the mixamp base, running another optical cable from the mixamp to my receiver.  It's slightly inconvenient in that the mixamp has to be on in order for the passthrough to function.  So the mixamp is basically on all the time whenever I want to hear audio of any sort.  Not a big deal but I had read somewhere that the optical passthrough was supposed to work even if the power was off.  Nevertheless, having it work like it does (as a signal booster/repeater, and not just a passive passthrough) is probably for the better in my case, since I also utilize a toslink switch to have multiple devices deliver audio to the mixamp's optical input.  I had to do a fair bit of cable juggling just to get a reliable optical signal through the switch and into the mixamp.  (As an aside, it would seem not all optical cables are built the same, and a longer cable does not necessarily equate to a weaker signal.  In my setup I could not get a reliable signal out of a 6-ft optical cable, but when I replaced it with a 12-ft I had lying around, it worked fine.  I think the "quality" of an optical cable will really come down to the connector ends.)  If the mixamp's passthrough was passive, there would be no way my receiver would actually receive the passed-along signal- it would be far too weak by that point.  As it is now, it gets a strong bright optical signal from the mixamp.

post #2408 of 37458

 

Quote:
Lastly, since I also have surround sound speakers, I utilize the optical pass-through function of the mixamp base, running another optical cable from the mixamp to my receiver.  It's slightly inconvenient in that the mixamp has to be on in order for the passthrough to function.  So the mixamp is basically on all the time whenever I want to hear audio of any sort.  Not a big deal but I had read somewhere that the optical passthrough was supposed to work even if the power was off.  Nevertheless, having it work like it does (as a signal booster/repeater, and not just a passive passthrough) is probably for the better in my case, since I also utilize a toslink switch to have multiple devices deliver audio to the mixamp's optical input.  I had to do a fair bit of cable juggling just to get a reliable optical signal through the switch and into the mixamp.  (As an aside, it would seem not all optical cables are built the same, and a longer cable does not necessarily equate to a weaker signal.  In my setup I could not get a reliable signal out of a 6-ft optical cable, but when I replaced it with a 12-ft I had lying around, it worked fine.  I think the "quality" of an optical cable will really come down to the connector ends.)  If the mixamp's passthrough was passive, there would be no way my receiver would actually receive the passed-along signal- it would be far too weak by that point.  As it is now, it gets a strong bright optical signal from the mixamp.

 

This is a bit over my head, but I may have to re-read it a bit and see if I will need to do something similar. I currently have sound/video running from my cable box to my receiver via a HDMI cable, then from my receiver to my TV via another HDMI. The TV is of course muted, but you do so for the picture. I then have a TURK (HDMI splitter) which runs from all of my systems (PS3, 360, PC) to my receiver so that it automatically switches over to what is on and routes it to the TV/Receiver. The Wii I wasn't using for the longest, but I will likely just run a digital optical cord to directly to the mix-amp, and Component video to the TV and solely use the headphones.

 

Wires, wires everywhere, but not a drop to drink. Or something.

 

PS

 

It seems I wont be getting my Sennheisers until next Tuesday. So much for a (last) Thursday rush delivery! With tomorrow being Turkey day, and UPS having Friday - Sunday off, rush shipping amounts to the package going out Monday and getting here Tuesday. Awesome!

post #2409 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by holylucifer View Post

Imo i find the fostex t50rp better for gaming then the dt880.

 

Your ability to judge where the sounds are comeing from are better, due to dynamic drivers and the cup and such, what fostex have done is made it sound better with virtual sound.

 

You guys should try the t50rp for gaming, soundstage is big enough along with the odd way it sounds i find dolby headphone makes these t50rp well put it bluntly with me i prefer dolby headphone off.

 

I find the sound and the sound waves to be narrower on the dt880 compared to t50rp.

 

This headphone makes you feel as if you were there plus the clarity is alot and without careful listening it is the t50rp as it always gets your attention.

 

I have owned the pc 350 and well i prefer the t50rp over that.



That would be something if these headphones do beat out the DT880, as they are significantly cheaper. I don't think MLE posts in this thread anymore, but i'd be interested to see how they stack up to all the other ones he has used. Still, one more name to consider for my next purchase. Thanks for the info, Holylucifer.

post #2410 of 37458

I wish the wired Mixamp had an optical passthrough. It would open up a world of possibilities for me in regards to using a dedicated DAC with a Xbox while maintaining convenient chat functionality. Oh well.

post #2411 of 37458

Any thoughts on upcoming AKG K 550 ?

http://uk.akg.com/akg-k550-uk.html

post #2412 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyopl View Post

Any thoughts on upcoming AKG K 550 ?

http://uk.akg.com/akg-k550-uk.html


 

Hmm...

 

"

  • Real Image Engineering for accurate definition and impression of width, distance and depth
  • Closed-back design for a fully personal listening experience  "

 

Sort of contradictory...

post #2413 of 37458

 

Guys, see my thread here about my experiences looking for the best audiophile surround sound setup...most of you reading this thread will be in the same boat as me, so read here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582062/need-serious-advice-setup-needed-for-bf3-gaming-music-listening#post_7918472

 

 

continuing on...

 

okay so i shall look for a new sound card capable of powering a good number of ohms...

HT | OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

vs

ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card

 

Which one is better?

 

Speaking of which...the more ohms the louder the headphone can perform correct? or is there more to it than just loudness of the speakers?

 

 

 

Here are my options for headphone:

 

Denon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphones $349.95

Audio Technica ATH-AD900 Audiophile Open-Air Dynamic Headphones $200

AKG K702 Headphones $251.00

AudioTechnica ATH-A700 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones $135.95

Fischer Audio FA-011 $118.00

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Open Studio Headphones 250 Ohms $169.99

 

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones $103.99

 

 

Audio Technica ATH-A700 Headphones $120.37

 

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones $103.99

 

AKG K702 Headphones $251.00

 

i see more that i like...will have to add soon...

 

But which of these regardless of price will be the best option for me considering i will get the 200 dollarish sound card with amp built in....capable of 600 ohms???

post #2414 of 37458
More ohms DOES NOT equal to more loudness/volume. That is absolutely wrong.
Ohms is a measurement of impedance, which in general is *somewhat* inversely related to volume; i.e. high impedance headphones need the volume cranked higher. But even that is a gross generalisation.
post #2415 of 37458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

More ohms DOES NOT equal to more loudness/volume. That is absolutely wrong.
Ohms is a measurement of impedance, which in general is *somewhat* inversely related to volume; i.e. high impedance headphones need the volume cranked higher. But even that is a gross generalisation.


so what does it mean then? more ohms = ?????

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)