or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1565

post #23461 of 37293
I'm the same. I know there'll be a hardware revision and price drop. I can wait for more releases and a smoother overall performance.

The only reason I would have considered a purchase at release would have been for backwards compatibility. Looks like those days are long gone in the console realm.
post #23462 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

I'm the same. I know there'll be a hardware revision and price drop. I can wait for more releases and a smoother overall performance.

The only reason I would have considered a purchase at release would have been for backwards compatibility. Looks like those days are long gone in the console realm.

 

I'm hoping they announce a hardware revision and/or price drop at E3 so I can get one before the Destiny beta...

post #23463 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Mike View Post
 

2 games (one of which is a polished up copy) is a good enough reason to drop $400 on a PS4? I suppose if you have the money, have at it. I'll be waiting until at least the first price drop/hardware revision and it having at least 10 games that I want to play. That being said, I won't ever touch the Xbone. 

Much will depend on just how much of a polished copy it turns out to be...

Plus the first iteration seems to be decent size and all... But I might stick to your strategy, depending on funds...

And as you read my comment, I mentioned more games than those two... but aight :beerchug:

post #23464 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

 

I'm hoping they announce a hardware revision and/or price drop at E3 so I can get one before the Destiny beta...

 

It took over a year for the PS3/360 to get significant price drops so I wouldn't count on it.

post #23465 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Mike View Post
 

 

It took over a year for the PS3/360 to get significant price drops so I wouldn't count on it.

 

Xbone has already had a price drop as well as two game bundles.  $450 for the console+Titanfall or Forza makes it cheaper than the PS4.  I expect Sony to fire back around E3...

post #23466 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

 

Xbone has already had a price drop as well as two game bundles.  $450 for the console+Titanfall or Forza makes it cheaper than the PS4.  I expect Sony to fire back around E3...

Those were limited deals and promotional bundles, not official price drops IIRC. 

post #23467 of 37293
Still, it's a good sign that they've already been working on updating the PS4 system.
post #23468 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Mike View Post
 

Those were limited deals and promotional bundles, not official price drops IIRC.

 

Titanfall bundle is still $499.  The $450 promotion, while limited, was around for quite some time and still shows up now and again.

 

I guess my point is that it effectively doesn't matter if it's "official" or not.  The Xbox price has changed since launch so it's reasonable to expect that we'll see some PS4 love at some point.

post #23469 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

 

Titanfall bundle is still $499.  The $450 promotion, while limited, was around for quite some time and still shows up now and again.

 

I guess my point is that it effectively doesn't matter if it's "official" or not.  The Xbox price has changed since launch so it's reasonable to expect that we'll see some PS4 love at some point.

I think there's lots of PS4 love, no? :cool:

post #23470 of 37293
Meh, they should both just inspire each other (and Nintendo!) to be better. It's funny how polarizing it can be, more like a presidential election rather than headphones/amps where we can say "I like many of these" and/or "these are my favourites," not like consoles where there's like a concern that one of them will be a "wrong" choice... I don't think one is wrong, just that one may personally suit best while there are attractive things about all the consoles.
post #23471 of 37293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Meh, they should both just inspire each other (and Nintendo!) to be better. It's funny how polarizing it can be, more like a presidential election rather than headphones/amps where we can say "I like many of these" and/or "these are my favourites," not like consoles where there's like a concern that one of them will be a "wrong" choice... I don't think one is wrong, just that one may personally suit best while there are attractive things about all the consoles.

 

Well I think one of the reasons it's so polarizing is that cross-platform play isn't a thing.  Even if I go buy a PS4 tomorrow (Cowboom has some lightly used ones for $300!), I won't be able to play CoD with you because I own it on Xbox One and I simply won't be purchasing a second copy of the same ******* game.

 

With headphones, I can listen to the same song with the same DAC and Amp on two different cans.  With a console, I have to buy two consoles, two copies of the game, two online subscriptions, etc.  It's just not realistic that people would do that, so people have to pick just one and then try to convince everyone they know to get on that one so they don't end up in a position where they can only play with half of their friends at a time.  Lame.

post #23472 of 37293

I'm posting this here because this is a strange fix for my issues. This may even work on other devices, so give it a shot.


 


 

I made a post HERE about a problem I've been having using optical out with my Sound Blaster Omni.

Yesterday, I made an interesting discovery during my testing (three posts later).


 

Breif recap:

Windows set at 5.1

Omni Control Panel is set to "headphones" for analog, optical set to copy the analog device in windows and NOT using Dolby Digital Live output encoding (optical is sending PCM 2.0)

With SBX processing enabled, I heard very bad results. I describe it as someone playing with a L/R fade slider, but it was applied to all audio PROCESSED--discrete channels played normally but not SBX HRTF effects.

Switching between "5.1 Surround" and "Headphone" in the Omni Control Panel had no effect with optical. Analog output was properly changing.

Sticking ANYTHING in the headphone out port, while using optical output, fixes this issue by forcing the device to process in a "headphone" mode that works. This does not need to connect to anything, I just stuck an extra 3.5mm adapter in it.


 

The difference is like day and night. I cannot stress enough how much of an improvement sticking something in the headphone port makes.


 

While I've had to do a similar trick before to mute my TV without muting SPDIF passthrough, I never even think about this because it's just so illogical so it shouldn't work. But it does.


 


 

I sugest everyone try this, or something similar, on your devices and see if it improves your results.

post #23473 of 37293
Thread Starter 
I have a PS4 and so far have only bought KZ, COD, and Tomb Raider. Oh, and a few psn games like Strider. To be honest, I could've played almost all of these on PC and PS3 (whichgets the most use).

Really no reason to jump to PS4 just yet, but it's nice to have, since those games look best on it. PC is better, but I dont like playing online on PC has I prefer using a controller.
post #23474 of 37293

On the face of it people could accuse me of being a Sony fanboy given my history, I am not though. My best friend is a Sony fanboy and I constantly have to point out when XBOX has an advantage over Playstation.

 

PS2 vs XBOX: The XBOX came out of the gates swinging with Halo, Rallisport Challenge, Forza and other console exclusives, as well as superior ports of many games due to its greater power. The PS2 however had a well established stable of exclusives, a good existing relationship with developers and didn't insist you buy a remote for DVD playback (seriously MS?). I also wasn't keen on the original XBOX controller due to the black and white buttons. I much preferred the four shoulder button configuration. Also on the subject of controllers, the PS2 supported force feedback wheels (big plus for racing game fans).

 

PS3 vs X360: MS got off to a great start with an improved controller and big titles like COD 2, PGR 3, TDU, Gears of War and Dead Rising. RROD.... Oh dear! PS3 didn't have the smoothest start. While they didn't have any major hardware failures, the launch price was hard to swallow (literally! You try swallowing a huge wad of cash like that). It had noticeably inferior ports of some big games like Fear, The Orange Box, BFBC, you name it the 360 probably had the better version. And then from the heavens, accompanied by angelic chorus came... Uncharted (you may have guessed, I'm a Naughty Dog fan). GTA IV was pretty much identical on both systems which was important for the PS3 and as time went by the majority of multi-platform games became so closely matched for performance and graphics that differences were negligible. One of PS3's biggest strengths has been its exclusive titles. Games that have truly leveraged the PS3's hardware have been arguably more impressive than the 360's best. For a while now, I believe they've both been at fighting strength and the only real decider is what games you prefer.

 

PS4 vs XB1: PS4 has had the technically superior multi-platform titles thus far but the XB1 had a better launch line-up and has been quicker to market with its first heavy hitter, Titanfall. Where it goes from here???

 

An overall difference has been Sony's willingness to support third party hardware. Microsoft always seems to find a way of going the "you want this? Then you'll have to buy the official Microsoft this" route. I've always disliked this attitude and it has been a legitimate issue for me, especially as a FFB wheel user.

 

Edit: I agree with Mad. At the moment there is no screaming rush to buy a PS4. I don't regret buying it, but some more games would be nice.

 

Edit 2: I almost completely forgot to mention about online. It has been well established that for online play, XBOX has been the stronger platform. However in Sony's favour was, no entry fee, less trash talking (from the majority of accounts I've heard about) and Playstation Plus.


Edited by Napalmhardcore - 5/1/14 at 8:15pm
post #23475 of 37293

You guys do know there is a dedicated thread to debate this on, right? ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)