or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1561

post #23401 of 37324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Video wasn't bad, nice British accent.
No "free" 3D audio mentioned, just some HDMI output options. Also stuff like you can use the touchpad as a cursor to type with, you can turn off HDCP while gaming, and there's a big new video clip editing suite (and you can export videos to USB flash sticks with FAT32 formatting).

 

So basically a bunch of stuff that looks good in the marketing materials, but nobody will ever use.  Got it.  ;)

post #23402 of 37324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Video wasn't bad, nice British accent.
No "free" 3D audio mentioned, just some HDMI output options. Also stuff like you can use the touchpad as a cursor to type with, you can turn off HDCP while gaming, and there's a big new video clip editing suite (and you can export videos to USB flash sticks with FAT32 formatting).


You can still only put the videos up on facebook..twitch is now in 720p..you can upload to a 32gb memory stick..i will check it out if you can upload to youtube from a 16gb memory stick, but I doubt it!


Edited by martin vegas - 4/30/14 at 9:40am
post #23403 of 37324
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin vegas View Post
 

Did they ever fix the issue whereby the audio would come out through both HDMI and optical? I don't know why they changed that from how it was on PS3.

post #23404 of 37324
If you can put a common-format video file on a USB stick, you can open it on a computer and post it anywhere.

Mine plays audio through both at (relatively) the same time. I just turn the volume all the way down on my TV/Monitor.
Edited by Evshrug - 4/30/14 at 9:16am
post #23405 of 37324
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsmarsterx View Post
 

 

STX only supports Dolby headphone. DHTv4 is the latest Dolby dsp algorithm, which is currently in Phoebus, U7. 

 

 

 

don't worry. it shouldn't affect anything. 

 

So what you're saying is the STX is outdated compared to the Phoebus or do they have different purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Used to be something that bothered me a lot, so when I heard Creative's option I was overjoyed how natural it sounded by comparison. Now however, I can honestly say my brain adjusted, it's not that I ignore it now, I actually don't perceive echo while gaming anymore unless I just switched from my Recon3D to my DSS.
I never heard echoing with Creative's THX TruStudio Pro or SBX Pro Studio processing, it all seems to be a tonal and volume balance change that seems more realistic to me.
?

Not sure what you are saying by this. You mean you had the STX and dropped it for creative and like creative now?

post #23406 of 37324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

If you can put a common-format video file on a USB stick, you can open it on a computer and post it anywhere.

Mine plays audio through both at (relatively) the same time. I just turn the volume all the way down on my TV/Monitor.


I have just tried with a 16gb one but it wouldn't work..only 32gb and up will work..i have a 4gb one and two 8gb ones and a 16gb one..if I see a 32gb one for cheap somewhere I will try again!

post #23407 of 37324
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistencelies View Post
 

 

So what you're saying is the STX is outdated compared to the Phoebus or do they have different purpose?

 

 

imo, not outdated at all . STX has the superior amp compared to Phoebus.

 

Everyone might have a difference opinion when it comes to dsp algorithms, but for me I prefer DHTv4. that doesn't mean Dolby Headphone or any other algorithm is inferior to DHT. it just preference thing.  and I'm not sure about the specs of upcoming STX 2. may be it will come up with DHTv4.


Edited by appsmarsterx - 4/30/14 at 9:50am
post #23408 of 37324
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsmarsterx View Post
 

 

imo, not outdated at all . STX has the superior amp compared to Phoebus.

 

Everyone might have a difference opinion when it comes to dsp algorithms, but for me I prefer DHTv4. that doesn't mean Dolby Headphone is inferior to DHT. it just preference thing.  and I'm not sure about the specs of upcoming STX 2. may be it will come up with DHTv4.

I also discovered that when I use DH I can hear myself talk in game (I have my mic hooked up to the card as well) and it's odd. I think under the mic settings I need to uncheck local mic or something. I read the settings online today at work. Will have to check that out at home. I just hope the DH1 setting is less echoey. I came from a razer kraken 7.1 and it is def a big difference in sound. I am prob going to do the bass mod to my Q701's as well.

post #23409 of 37324

I think I'm going to have to do some extensive testing with my Omni on a variety of games. I keep hearing a sound that could be described as a pop, but I'd personally describe it as a tuk or ch(u)k sound (not sure how best to describe it). I'm pretty sure it is digital clipping. I don't know if this is something that has developed, or if it's a case of me not having noticed it before, and that because I'm now aware of it I'm listening out for it. Whatever the case, it is driving me nuts.


Edited by Napalmhardcore - 4/30/14 at 12:21pm
post #23410 of 37324
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistencelies View Post

Not sure what you are saying by this. You mean you had the STX and dropped it for creative and like creative now?
I've never had an STX, but I do have a Mixamp and DSS which use DH mode 2 (you can't adjust it).

Honestly, I would make sure you don't have your computer set to monitor or playback sounds (aka play them "twice"), or not to sound weird but make sure you aren't hearing sounds from your computer speakers the same time as your headphones. I've had my TV playing the same time as my headphones a few times (slightly delayed), and it took me a while to realize two things were playing the audio. Your comment about hearing your own mic audio is what makes me suspect this, like you're hearing the game and you're hearing a second copy of output after adding in the mic to the mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin vegas View Post


I have just tried with a 16gb one but it wouldn't work..only 32gb and up will work..i have a 4gb one and two 8gb ones and a 16gb one..if I see a 32gb one for cheap somewhere I will try again!
In the video, he says the flash drive has to be formatted to FAT32 format type, your other flash sticks might need to be erased and reformatted.
post #23411 of 37324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


I've never had an STX, but I do have a Mixamp and DSS which use DH mode 2 (you can't adjust it).

Honestly, I would make sure you don't have your computer set to monitor or playback sounds (aka play them "twice"), or not to sound weird but make sure you aren't hearing sounds from your computer speakers the same time as your headphones. I've had my TV playing the same time as my headphones a few times (slightly delayed), and it took me a while to realize two things were playing the audio. Your comment about hearing your own mic audio is what makes me suspect this, like you're hearing the game and you're hearing a second copy of output after adding in the mic to the mix.
In the video, he says the flash drive has to be formatted to FAT32 format type, your other flash sticks might need to be erased and reformatted.

 I will try again Evshrug..first I thought t had to be 32gb,,but it's just called flash 32!

post #23412 of 37324
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin vegas View Post


 I will try again Evshrug..first I thought t had to be 32gb,,but it's just called flash 32!

FAT32, it's mentioned at 1:05 in this video and 1:40 in the PS4 update video you posted.
Edited by Evshrug - 4/30/14 at 2:56pm
post #23413 of 37324

It worked mate.. I am uploading it to youtube now..i will post the video on here when it's good to go!


Edited by martin vegas - 4/30/14 at 3:32pm
post #23414 of 37324

I got my K712 PROs yesterday! Opened them up and put them on my head and I was instantly impressed by the comfort of these cans. I have an EXTREMELY sensitive head and I find it really easy to get headaches if I'm wearing any over ears that have more than a bit of clamping force. 

 

As for the listening test, I only have my Nexus 5, PS4 controller and gaming PC headphone jacks to use as sources. I will be getting my Astro Mixamp back tomorrow as I had to send them out to (hopefully) get them fixed or replaced. I'll have to wait until I get the Mixamp back to test these out with virtual surround. 

 

They sound quite amazing compared to any other headphones that I have heard and they seem to indeed be a jack of all trades headphone. Running them from my current not-so-great sources, they seem to be great with all genres of music. I also briefly tested them out on Borderlands 2 (wonderful game by the way) and they seem to work well for gaming from what I've heard. My only issue with them is that the highs seem to be slightly harsh on my ears.

 

Will an amp help fix my problems with the highs? I have definitely noticed that they need to be amped as I am running them at close to max volume from both my Nexus and my PC so I am wondering if the sound will greatly improve with some amping. I'm thinking of going with the Magni as an amp. Not quite sure if I should go ahead and purchase the Modi as well for music listening. The shipping to Canada will be just over $30 whether I get one or both. I'm thinking that I should just order the stack and get it over with (and also save $30 in shipping).

post #23415 of 37324
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1471 View Post
 

I got my K712 PROs yesterday! Opened them up and put them on my head and I was instantly impressed by the comfort of these cans. I have an EXTREMELY sensitive head and I find it really easy to get headaches if I'm wearing any over ears that have more than a bit of clamping force. 

 

As for the listening test, I only have my Nexus 5, PS4 controller and gaming PC headphone jacks to use as sources. I will be getting my Astro Mixamp back tomorrow as I had to send them out to (hopefully) get them fixed or replaced. I'll have to wait until I get the Mixamp back to test these out with virtual surround. 

 

They sound quite amazing compared to any other headphones that I have heard and they seem to indeed be a jack of all trades headphone. Running them from my current not-so-great sources, they seem to be great with all genres of music. I also briefly tested them out on Borderlands 2 (wonderful game by the way) and they seem to work well for gaming from what I've heard. My only issue with them is that the highs seem to be slightly harsh on my ears.

 

Will an amp help fix my problems with the highs? I have definitely noticed that they need to be amped as I am running them at close to max volume from both my Nexus and my PC so I am wondering if the sound will greatly improve with some amping. I'm thinking of going with the Magni as an amp. Not quite sure if I should go ahead and purchase the Modi as well for music listening. The shipping to Canada will be just over $30 whether I get one or both. I'm thinking that I should just order the stack and get it over with (and also save $30 in shipping).

 

Yes, as mentioned a zillion times, amping helps these a lot.  If you get a slightly "warmer" amp, it should help tame the highs a bit as well.  The Schiit Vali is generally recommended as a better pairing for the AKG's than the Magni because of this.

 

Regarding the Modi, I'd say that depends on your sound card.  I have found that the difference between the Omni and Modi is pretty subtle.  Once I spent a lot of time listening for the differences, I think I trained my ears to hear them better.  But it wasn't anything dramatic.  I'd almost suggest skipping the Modi if you have a decent sound card and upgrading to something in a higher price bracket.

 

BTW, if you do have a decent sound card, you're going to want a DAC with optical input rather than USB.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)