Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Even at their current $89 price, I consider the Klipsch R6s an excellent value. They are fundamentally honest about what you put into them. Although they reveal a great deal about each recording,...
With my head laid back, eyes closed, and feet tapping to the beat, I can’t help but be thankful for some of the audio equipment that I have. Thankfully, Justin Weber, owner of Ampsandsound,...
Acknowledgment It’s always a privilege to check out new gear in exchange for your honest opinion. Thanks, iFi, for letting me in on this particular party. I’ve been borrowing this unit...
Introduction I have recently had the good fortune to review 1More’s excellent Triple Driver 1001 In Ear Monitors and their MK802 Bluetooth full-sized headphone and was left extremely impressed...
As the rabbit hole of summit-fi in-ear monitors gets deeper and deeper, I find myself encountering the same issues over and over. Most of the high end multiple armature driver in-ear monitors in...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1495post #22411 of 374003/31/14 at 2:37pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #22412 of 374003/31/14 at 2:38pmpost #22413 of 374003/31/14 at 2:46pm
Being British I know exactly how to deal with this situation.
*Speaking very slowly and loudly* Dooo Yooouuu Speeeaaak Engliiish?post #22414 of 374003/31/14 at 2:49pmQuote:
Get a mic from amazon..just go on amazon and read all the mic reviews..you don't have to spend a lot..as long as it's clear and loud enough for gamer chat!post #22415 of 374003/31/14 at 2:58pmpost #22416 of 374003/31/14 at 3:00pmQuote:
I'm looking at mics now. I'm still weighing up my options. Still would prefer a boom mic if I'm honest, but I'm not ruling out anything at the moment.post #22417 of 374003/31/14 at 5:48pmpost #22418 of 374003/31/14 at 5:50pmI also have to say I hate all of you that bought out the hd650s amazon had used for just over $300 lol. I wanted to wait and save. For the 560 but I have tm joint syndrome and wearing headphones can get fatiguing so I decided to wait and see how recovery goes before spending that much on headphones. Went to purchase the senns and what do ya know... Gonepost #22419 of 374003/31/14 at 6:12pm
Speaking of that bug, the HE-400 is ~$250 on Razordog right now (with the velour pads). I know the 400i is coming out soon, but this sounds like a great deal. MLE makes them sound like a very attractive alternative to the X1 if you have a nice amp (hi, Change!) and don't mind the loss of the Boom-pro.post #22420 of 374003/31/14 at 6:26pmQuote:There's always gonna be a new latest and greatest, and a sale on last year's latest and greatest.Originally Posted by Stillhart
I thought I was doing a really good job of not buying expensive desktop amps...
I thought the M50 might be a good portable for travelling. I don't really want to use open headphones on an airplane and I don't super want to travel with big fragile $200+ cans anyhow. But I'm worried that my $200+ headphones have spoiled me for $75 headphones. lol
But you're right. If I'm spending any more money right now, it'll be on an amp. There will always be another super sale when I'm ready to get another pair of headphones.
The thing about the M-80, it was a surprise hit and very well received by itself. Unlike the Sony MA900 you're thinking of (which has no direct descendant), the V-MODA XS is an improved replacement that also adds folding hinges.
I like my M-100, fun sound and super durable, I used them a lot when I first got them, but then I got caught up in analyzing the differences between Q701 and K712 and swapping pads (which so far I can only conclude that the differences are both minute and take practice to hear, probably not worth the price difference in my opinion, BUT overall I prefer the K712 and would in my financial situation choose to keep that one of the two).post #22421 of 374003/31/14 at 6:36pm
I have a video review of me testing them out, but I never posted it because I spent at least 5 minutes noticing just how much the sound is affected by anything close to the earcups. If you didn't think there was a big difference between open vs closed headphones, put these on and try holding up your hands even a foot away from the driver to hear how the sound changes, no joke it's in my vid.post #22422 of 374003/31/14 at 6:40pmI decided not to care about virtual surround so keep that in mind. And i already have cal. Just been looking for something wireless for use with pc and consoles in 100usd range... to watch movies from a tv connected to pc. And going a cable across the room is less than fine solution. Same goes for console gaming. Even tho cal is prolly superior than any wireless headset, i coul use something wireless.post #22423 of 374003/31/14 at 6:55pmDoes the Sony still work wirelessly with PCs? Even if you don't care about surround (or can't use it with PC), part of the $100 is paying for it anyway. There are other wireless options. I personally just use speakers in the situation you describe.
Edited by Evshrug - 3/31/14 at 6:56pmpost #22424 of 374003/31/14 at 6:59pmI would not mind good vss but ive tested that with my xonar dg, cal an dolby heasphone and even tho it was working, i disliked the sq with processing of dh.
cal headband is just too hard and cables are starting to get long in a teeth for me.
Yes that sony thingh is said to work with pc ans ps4..
i was also thinking about something comfortable with detachable cable so i could switch to what ineed but there is nothing interesting. Cal i really the Best headphine in 100usd range
Edited by HiCZoK - 3/31/14 at 7:01pmpost #22425 of 374003/31/14 at 8:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by Evshrug
I'm gonna stop you right there and say the HE400 is going to sound bad without a strong amp that adds mids (so not a versatile, neutral amp and definitely not weak amps). The highs are high but they didn't bother me, what bothered me is the mids are not just recessed but sucked out to the point that sometimes lead vocals sound like backing vocals to the drums and instruments hitting the midbass. A colored amp can help a bit, and the headphone's flavor suits some specific genres well, but with other genres (smokey intimate vocals, jazz, songs featuring a diverse variety of instruments) it will just never sound right.
I have a video review of me testing them out, but I never posted it because I spent at least 5 minutes noticing just how much the sound is affected by anything close to the earcups. If you didn't think there was a big difference between open vs closed headphones, put these on and try holding up your hands even a foot away from the driver to hear how the sound changes, no joke it's in my vid.
Weird, okay. I will stay away from the PM cans until I'm ready to spend more than a few hundred bucks on the hobby.
On a side note, I decide tonight that I'm going to sell my X1 and keep the Q701. Since I did the bass mod, the Q701 has much more acceptable levels of bass and slightly less mids and highs. Honestly, I thought the sound moved a lot closer to the X1 (which I wanted) and it made it a harder choice (which I didn't).
But I was listening to this album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw12zvPubyc (the bass kicks in about 9 mins in) on my Q's and thought, "Hey, I'm going to try it on my X1! With that bass, it should kick ass!" And what happened? I lost my sparkle in the highs, lost some soundstage, and got that "flabby" bass. Like it was great bass, but it just felt so imprecise after the Q's; more bass at the expense of detail in the bass.
I guess I'm not a "basshead". I still think the X1 is super fun and a great all-arounder. I just like the sound of the Q701 (modded) better and I'd rather put that money towards an amp for my Q701. As soon as I sell em, I can afford a nice $189 amp...
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Beats Solo3 Wireless - Impressions Thread 42 seconds ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 2 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio HA-160 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Music to test your headphones 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 7 minutes ago
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › iFi Audio iEMatch Headphone Travel Accessory by Hisoundfi
- › Soundaware Esther by ambchang
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Hisoundfi
- › HiFiMAN Edition S by Aornic
- › Accutone Taurus by mark2410
- › Remax RM 305M Aluminum Earbud by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear