- 16,417 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
JOMO PLB (Pretty Little Beast) IEM Review - Expatinjapan `Oh you pretty things` - David Bowie Jomo Audio PLB, Opus#3 Dap and Double Helix Cable. JOMO PLB (Pretty little...
In the present state of portable audio markets, with one-upmanship of driver counts (and prices) fast becoming the norm, Campfire Audio has blazed its own path by offering immaculately crafted,...
VIDEO REVIEW ALL REVIEWS ARE CREATED BY SOULSIKREVIEWS.COM AND MORE DETAILED REVIEW CAN BE FOUND ON THE WEBSITE INTRODUCTION We reviewed the VE Monk Plus recently and fell in love with it. The...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1470post #22036 of 388003/22/14 at 10:56amThread StarterNope. You can score them on Ebay, various websites here and there, but you may get lucky and find one at the Microsoft online store. That's where they were selling recently.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #22037 of 388003/22/14 at 11:37ampost #22038 of 388003/22/14 at 12:23pm
There's a "Shell Shocker" deal at Newegg for the blue DNA On-ear for $79 after rebate. I tried these at a store and couldn't get over the on-ear feel. But if you into that kind of thing, seems like a pretty sweet deal.post #22039 of 388003/22/14 at 10:44pmpost #22040 of 388003/22/14 at 10:46pm
For music and for gaming they are among one of the most boring headphones I've ever heard. Bass and bottom end in general is plainly done badly in those for a Sennheiser product and it's also one of those where they sound too airy, unnatural. Other complaints of all that line are price (the 598 is very expensive for what you get) and reliability issues (they break).
The thing is all that "555 line" is hyped to death because they are internet champs of non into mid or hi-fi people defending their purchase, not realizing it's on the bottom level of the sennheiser products, the ones to avoid, those made in china (the good Senn products are made in Ireland and in Germany) and those that don't get reviewed by technical sites.
Was reading this thread and someone even claimed that with cable and wiring modding they can get to the 600/650 level (mid-fi, a complete tier altogether), which is impossible without changing the drivers, frame design and materials; plus when modding it necessarily means losing in some aspects. It's like comparing a bmw 325 with a m5.
Furthermore, I was reading headfonia comments on this (yep I know) and someone wrote he preferred the 595 over the 800, which is the usual mistake of preferring what you use over what's being tested for 5 seconds with different music just because of being used to the former.
But yeah, they are pretty good for soundwhoring which is an aspect of headphones for gaming. Wouldn't recommend it to the masses for that use though, as they are really boring, technically flawed and expensive for what you get, but they do work as a one trick pony.
I still want to know if there really is a proper world class headphone for music (above the 600/650 and AKG level) that at the same time is great for fun gaming and for soundwhoring, all that with proper testing, comparison, setup (amp, dolby headphone dac), technical knowledge, good gameplay level and everything. There are lots of greats for both uses or one in particular, but so far none tested that's spectacular for both. I know one day someone will :P
On this the theoretical best among the usual suspects should be the HD800, but I think even that one is not really worth purchasing right now because some aspects should come improved from factory being their current top of the line.
Edited by avens - 3/22/14 at 11:29pmpost #22041 of 388003/23/14 at 12:11amThread StarterBoring is purely subjective. I find the HD558 to be well balanced with an all rounder type signature. I've heard better, and I've heard worse. For the price, the 558 is a very good headphone that excels in comfort, soundstage, and positional cues. yes, they don't have any exciting bumps in the frequency that give anything an extra amount of energy, but has a generalized sound signature that doesn't do anything particularly wrong.
As for the build quality, I dunno where you're getting this from as the build issues were resolved years ago. Unless you're an absolute animal, I don't see these breaking under normal use whatsoever.
I do agree, that neither the 558 or 598 come anywhere near the level of the HD650. That is utter hyperbole to me.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/23/14 at 12:14ampost #22042 of 388003/23/14 at 12:18ampost #22043 of 388003/23/14 at 12:23amThread Starterpost #22044 of 388003/23/14 at 12:29amYea, I've read ablut some Best Buys having them on display. Thought yours might have had them up. They're on sale, there, for $200 I think.
If you can find a working pair to test... I advise you do...
Still wish I had a working pair when I bought them...post #22045 of 388003/23/14 at 12:38amThread StarterI went to Best Buy last Sunday, and OMG, they had three DNA Pros up for demos... and all of them were broken in the same spots as mine. Ironically, the multiple DNA On Ears all looked and played perfectly. It just confirmed that the it's a QC issue with the Pros.post #22046 of 388003/23/14 at 12:40ampost #22047 of 388003/23/14 at 12:50amThread StarterIn the DNA focus group sub-forum, the review was pasted, as well as extra comments. If they're keeping an eye on the impressions from us who received them, I'm sure they'll do something about it.
One thing i saw is the new line of Beats headphones. One thing that immediately stuck out is that every single model has some aluminum or some alloy-ish parts and extension arms, etc. You can tell they adopted all the feedback they received about their shoddy build quality of the older models. I hope Monster does the same, because the DNA Pro really is a damn good headphone.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/23/14 at 12:52ampost #22048 of 388003/23/14 at 12:50amGood to know.
And speaking of issues, I really hope AKG addresses the K545. That was a damn good headphone.... and I only heard one side! lol
Edited by Change is Good - 3/23/14 at 12:52ampost #22049 of 388003/23/14 at 12:53amThread Starter
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 4 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 4 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 5 minutes ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 6 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 7 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further. 8 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 9 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by krenky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear