or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1449

post #21721 of 37410
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

By definition the Mixamp is a DAC, as is any other device that converts digital audio to analog. You can only convert it once.

Yeah, which is why I'm confused.  So basically, using something like a Schiit Modi (or I guess a Bifrost for Optical in) will not work with virtual surround.  The Mixamp/Recon has to be my DAC right now and then I can re-amp through something like a Magni or Vali if I need it (like with a Q701, for example)?

post #21722 of 37410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

Yeah, which is why I'm confused.  So basically, using something like a Schiit Modi (or I guess a Bifrost for Optical in) will not work with virtual surround.  The Mixamp/Recon has to be my DAC right now and then I can re-amp through something like a Magni or Vali if I need it (like with a Q701, for example)?

 

Spot on. While you can use something like the Modi with a game console you'll get more immersion and positioning queues out of a DSP device. The Modi's DAC is technically better but for our purposes it isn't as good as a Mixamp or Recon3D for what we need/want. Running an amp after the DSP is a great way to power a Q701, in fact that's how I ran mine for a long time. Console>Mixamp/Recon>amp>Q701.

post #21723 of 37410
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

Spot on. While you can use something like the Modi with a game console you'll get more immersion and positioning queues out of a DSP device. The Modi's DAC is technically better but for our purposes it isn't as good as a Mixamp or Recon3D for what we need/want. Running an amp after the DSP is a great way to power a Q701, in fact that's how I ran mine for a long time. Console>Mixamp/Recon>amp>Q701.

Thanks, that really good info!  Lasty night I realized that my Q701's are on a different level from the PLYR1.  I mean, obviously, right?  But yeah, it's just so obvious after playing with the PLYR1 for a few hours and then switching to the Q's.  The soundstage is MASSVIE in comparison, the details are more defined, etc.

 

I'm still waiting for my X1's to arrive (damn you, international shipping!) but in the meantime, I'm falling in love with my Q's.  I would love more bass, of course.  Evshrug suggested that a tube amp could help bring out more bass without sacrificing what makes the Q's special.  I was looking at maybe cheaping out and getting a hybrid Schiit Vali.  You used the E12 with yours?

 

I still think the PLYR1 is great for an all-in-one combo that's just easy and simple.  They're no longer on sale for $130 so they're harder to recommend for $180, but I don't dislike them.

post #21724 of 37410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

Thanks, that really good info!  Lasty night I realized that my Q701's are on a different level from the PLYR1.  I mean, obviously, right?  But yeah, it's just so obvious after playing with the PLYR1 for a few hours and then switching to the Q's.  The soundstage is MASSVIE in comparison, the details are more defined, etc.

 

I'm still waiting for my X1's to arrive (damn you, international shipping!) but in the meantime, I'm falling in love with my Q's.  I would love more bass, of course.  Evshrug suggested that a tube amp could help bring out more bass without sacrificing what makes the Q's special.  I was looking at maybe cheaping out and getting a hybrid Schiit Vali.  You used the E12 with yours?

 

I still think the PLYR1 is great for an all-in-one combo that's just easy and simple.  They're no longer on sale for $130 so they're harder to recommend for $180, but I don't dislike them.

 

No, when I had the Q701 I had the Aune T1 as my amp. The Vali is a nice little amp but I had it after I sold off the Q701 so I can't speak to how well they pair. But the Q701 were my dedicated gaming headphones for the longest time. The Vali didn't feel quite as "tubey" as some of the other tube amps I've heard. And I hear you on international shipping. Just ordered the Philips L2's from Italy, it's going to be a short wait before they get in.

post #21725 of 37410
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

No, when I had the Q701 I had the Aune T1 as my amp. The Vali is a nice little amp but I had it after I sold off the Q701 so I can't speak to how well they pair. But the Q701 were my dedicated gaming headphones for the longest time. The Vali didn't feel quite as "tubey" as some of the other tube amps I've heard. And I hear you on international shipping. Just ordered the Philips L2's from Italy, it's going to be a short wait before they get in.

I'm not really up on the dfifference between a tube and a solid state amp.  I'm just going by what I heard.  I see you've owned both the Magni and the Vali.  Would you care to make an educated guess on which would pair better with the Q701?  My (admittedly lacking) understanding is the Vali sacrifices power to give you the tube sound, but it should still have enough power to drive the Q701 just fine...

post #21726 of 37410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

I'm not really up on the dfifference between a tube and a solid state amp.  I'm just going by what I heard.  I see you've owned both the Magni and the Vali.  Would you care to make an educated guess on which would pair better with the Q701?  My (admittedly lacking) understanding is the Vali sacrifices power to give you the tube sound, but it should still have enough power to drive the Q701 just fine...

 

I would assume that the Magni would pair better with the Q701 than the Vali simply based on the fact that the Q is a 62 ohm headphone. The Vali was designed to take on cans in the 250-600 ohm range.

post #21727 of 37410
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

 

I would assume that the Magni would pair better with the Q701 than the Vali simply based on the fact that the Q is a 62 ohm headphone. The Vali was designed to take on cans in the 250-600 ohm range.

Cool, thanks again.  Anyone else with experience with the Q701 and Magni/Vali is welcome to chime in as well.

post #21728 of 37410
No a sound card is a DAC. Just a DAC for gaming with surround. The DACs people talk about here are 2 channel DACs
post #21729 of 37410

Would I be correct in assuming that the Mixamp is the only option for connecting headphones with a separate microphone to a PS3 and 360 that offers voice chat and virtual 7.1 surround sound?

 

If so, can you connect the one Mixamp to both a 360 and PS3 and switch between consoles? I obviously won't be using them at the same time, but I don't want to keep pulling cables out. I know you can a 360 and PC together without messing about, but what about a PS3 and 360?

 

Also, do all the needed cables come with the Mixamp or do I need to find my Playstation and Xbox boxes and route around for the cables?

post #21730 of 37410
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
 

Would I be correct in assuming that the Mixamp is the only option for connecting headphones with a separate microphone to a PS3 and 360 that offers voice chat and virtual 7.1 surround sound?

 

If so, can you connect the one Mixamp to both a 360 and PS3 and switch between consoles? I obviously won't be using them at the same time, but I don't want to keep pulling cables out. I know you can a 360 and PC together without messing about, but what about a PS3 and 360?

 

Also, do all the needed cables come with the Mixamp or do I need to find my Playstation and Xbox boxes and route around for the cables?

 

The Recon3D can also decode 7.1 audio for both the PS3 and 360 and it handles both voice and audio. If you're wanting to have both connected at the same time you'll need some form of switch to select between the two. The necessary cables will come in the box to connect only one device. If you're connecting multiple devices, you'll need an additional TOSLINK cable; two if you're using a switch.

post #21731 of 37410

Hey guys, 

 

I managed to figure out how to get a set of headphones working with the Xbox One with game audio and voice chat using this guide as a core.

 

Here is what you need: (What I used)

 

Headphones (ATH-W11r)

Surround Processor (Turtle Beach DSS)

Mic (Modmic 2.3)

Optical Cable

PC Headset 2 female 3.5mm to mobile phone male 3.5mm adapter

female 3.5mm to 2 male 3.5mm adapter

Xbox Chat Adapter

1/4 to 3.5mm adapter (if necessary)

 

So it gets a bit complicated, but here goes:

 

Headphones to 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter

 

3.5 mm adapter to female 3.5mm to 2 male 3.5mm adapter

 

One male end of the 2 male 3.5mm adapter goes to the DSS

The other male end goes to the headphone female 3.5mm of the PC Headset adapter 

 

DSS goes to Xbox one via optical cable

PC Headset adapter goes to Xbox One controller via Xbox Chat Adapter

 

Modmic goes to mic female 3.5mm of the PC Headset adapter.

 

Essentially you're setting it up like a legacy headset for xbox one. It was crazy figuring out all the adapters, but I did it and it worked very well for Titanfall. 

 

I hope these directions help someone who wants to implement this guide for an Xbox One.

 

Feel free to PM if you have any questions or want to know what adapters I used. 

post #21732 of 37410

Cheers. If I find the hassle switching them back and forth too annoying then I might see what kind of switching system I can rig up.

post #21733 of 37410
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

By definition the Mixamp is a DAC, as is any other device that converts digital audio to analog. You can only convert it once.


I think you should ask someone like mad lust envy about that..i am not too sure about the mix amp..there is analogue to digital convertion aswell as digital to analogue convertion in some dacs!


Edited by martin vegas - 3/15/14 at 5:19pm
post #21734 of 37410
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin vegas View Post


I think you should ask someone like mad lust envy about that..i am not too sure about the mix amp..there is analogue to digital convertion aswell as digital to analogue convertion in some dacs!

 

Yes, there is analog to digital conversion, but the only way those are relevant in a gaming environment is for the mic input. Digital to analog is what you are using when you're talking about headphones and surround processing. Technically they are included in devices like the Recon3D and Mixamp but we don't really talk about the AD converters since there's really not much to talk about.

post #21735 of 37410

Is there a way to have sound on both a computer and PS3 play through the same audio system simultaneously?

 

What I have is a Bifrost as a source running optical into the PS3, but that means I don't have an audio system for my computer whenever I play my PS3.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)