or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 145

post #2161 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTlantiz View Post

@Mad Lust Envy

thanks heaps for this wite up man....****, i can say im an avid gamer and im using steelseries siberia...its good until i read this xD....jawdrop completelytongue_smile.gif

 

hence im planning on getting pc360 or ad700

 

do i need a new soundcard or even an amp to get the full gaming benefits from these headsets? im using a laptop with onboard soundcard btw

 

much love and respect!

 

~bill



For Dolby Headphones you will definitely need a soundcard (or MixAmp? not sure..) which you will want for better sound quality anyway (onboard is ####). The AD700 do not need an amp, not 100% sure about the PC360, but at 50ohm and sensitivity of 112 I'd guess they would be fine without, and could improve with.

post #2162 of 37450
Thread Starter 
My PC360 didn't improve anything remotely near worthwhile with either my E9 or Lyr, so no, they don't need an amp.
post #2163 of 37450
Thread Starter 
Rented Resistance 3 for the PS3. Dolby Headphone does WONDERS for this game with my PC360s. A perfect demo for Dolby Headphone.

Just make sure the PS3 audio settings is set for Dolby Digital, and that the in game audio setting is set to Automatic (the game also has a Headphone and Dolby Pro Logic II options which are the wrong options). I mistakenly had the PS3 settings set to the defaults (I had tested the PS3 with another TV earlier, and it changed my sound settings), which didn't have DD checked. The game sound so flat, with no front/back separation.

The Dolby pro Logic II option in the game was... awful. Nothing like what I remembered Pro Logic II sounding like off the PS2 and Wii through the Mixamp.
post #2164 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Rented Resistance 3 for the PS3. Dolby Headphone does WONDERS for this game with my PC360s. A perfect demo for Dolby Headphone.

Just make sure the PS3 audio settings is set for Dolby Digital, and that the in game audio setting is set to Automatic (the game also has a Headphone and Dolby Pro Logic II options which are the wrong options). I mistakenly had the PS3 settings set to the defaults (I had tested the PS3 with another TV earlier, and it changed my sound settings), which didn't have DD checked. The game sound so flat, with no front/back separation.

The Dolby pro Logic II option in the game was... awful. Nothing like what I remembered Pro Logic II sounding like off the PS2 and Wii through the Mixamp.


i agree. the sound in this game is amazing. i had the game set to dolby digital and i will change to automatic. 
 

 

post #2165 of 37450
Thread Starter 
There is no Dolby Digital option in the game, unless you meant Pro Logic II. Lol. I meant making sure the PS3 audio setting has Dolby Digital checked, and the Resistance 3 audio setting being on Automatic. That is the correct setup for the Dolby Headphone devices (as they're meant to take a Dolby Digital source).
post #2166 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

There is no Dolby Digital option in the game, unless you meant Pro Logic II. Lol. I meant making sure the PS3 audio setting has Dolby Digital checked, and the Resistance 3 audio setting being on Automatic. That is the correct setup for the Dolby Headphone devices (as they're meant to take a Dolby Digital source).


got it. i misspoke. meant pro logic II
 

 

post #2167 of 37450
So I read the whole first post and the last 10 or so pages of the thread. It seems there is a lot of discussion on this. I want to get a mixamp so I can use voice chat, that's a must. I don't really want to add another amp after the mixamp so I guess the best route to go since I want a mic as well would be the PC360 headset? I will be using this for Black Ops on 360.
Edited by NoValidTitle - 9/8/11 at 8:49am
post #2168 of 37450

Nice post man!

 

I have the ax720s and all though they arent they most pleasant sounding headphones they do have placement and soundstage down to a notch (sort of like your AD700s)

 

I have the tritton amp but i cant use it on my current set up right now because my TV is ghetto and wont support the optical connection the ax720 amp needs.

 

How does the a40 mix amp connect? I need to make sure it is capable of use on my current rig before i jump for it

 

thanks

 

 


Edited by Vonx - 9/8/11 at 11:07pm
post #2169 of 37450

Once again guys, if you want to know how to connect the MixAmp, check the company website (AstroGaming.com). They have the manuals in PDF there.

post #2170 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

Once again guys, if you want to know how to connect the MixAmp, check the company website (AstroGaming.com). They have the manuals in PDF there.



already found it. Its optical. Looks like im not getting it :(

post #2171 of 37450

If you want a good competitive gaming headphones when a closed one is required, I'd suggest looking into the KRK KNS-6400. It's a studio monitor that's dirt cheap at $99, doesn't have a lot of bass and has TONS of detail. There's even some forward mids that actually helps in games. Nothing too bad. Probably one of the clearest sounding headphones under $200. The 8400 is also good, but a step down for gaming due to it's more relaxed mids.

 

Trust me, just try the 6400. You can even upgrade it's pads with memory foam which make it one of the most comfortable headphones there is.

 

Another one I'm addicted to for gaming is the K501. It's soundstage is massive, but unlike the K702, nothing feels too distant. It's soundstage is just more accurate. Too bad it's so hard to find. Might be some good competition for the ATH-AD2000, which was an old favorite for gaming.

 

 

 

 

post #2172 of 37450

Vonx: I'm not understanding why your TV has anything to do with supporting optical input for audio. That's got to do with your console. What console are you trying to hook up to you AX720?

post #2173 of 37450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

Vonx: I'm not understanding why your TV has anything to do with supporting optical input for audio. That's got to do with your console. What console are you trying to hook up to you AX720?



My TV uses an adapter that forces me to not be able to use my HDMI cable (with the optical plug) and use a different one entirely that has a different plug in jack. Its easily 15 years old but its my current set up so i cant really do anything about it. I was just hoping the astro didnt use optical and would plug in a different way so that i could still use this TV with my sound whores haha

 

i play sexbox of course, do PSN players even take gaming that seriously as to buy headphones? news to me haha (just kidding, but no seriously) :D

post #2174 of 37450

Ohhhh. Sorry I didn't think of that possibility. Hm, would you say your TV is making you use these cables:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRt2m3-tB2oyFS_AtuiU1QMUOOofLfj3JN-q1bPz6ZJa7chWOEhgg

 

If that's the case, a wired MixAmp will still let you connect it:

top_lg.jpg

 

post #2175 of 37450

To use the mixamp in it's most optimal way, you connect your console directly to the mixamp via optical cable. If your xbox is one of the older ones, the "fat", then you're connecting the console to the tv with xbox AV connector.

 

Yzi0h.jpg

 

You connect the mixamp to this plug, the black square on the back of it (pay no attention to the red arrow). Whether what connection you use to connect your xbox to the tv has nothing to do with the mixamp since it's directly connected to the console and NOT the TV. The only time when you need to purchase another cable that didn't originally come with your xbox is if you're connecting the xbox fat w/hdmi via hdmi to the TV. This should clear everything up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)