- 1,487 Posts. Joined 10/2011
- Location: Bradford, PA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I purchased these headphones based on reviews, specifications, and looks and I am not disappointed in the least. The initial comfort for the headphones was good, but it took some adjusting to stop...
Disclaimer: The Noble Kaiser Encore sample was provided to me by Noble for the purposes of this review. The Noble K10 was my first Multi-BA earphone. While it might not be the as good as the...
For me the Encore shares the same sound signature as its predecessor Noble Kaiser K-10. There are already 31- K-10 reviews on H.F. including mine. Read what is written about the K-10, then think...
Sorry if my english is not so good. I bought this several days ago (200 euro) so I cannot post an opinion about durability. I use this dac/amp just on pc for everyday use: movies, voice,...
Greetings Head-fi, Today we are going to be checking out another HDSS equipped earphone from the team at Blue Ever Blue; the Model 1001. Based out of Washington, D.C., Blue Ever Blue (BeB) exploded...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1431post #21451 of 379623/5/14 at 9:32pmManaged to get my old d2000 pads on my a40s. Kind of a pain to get on. Not going to mention any frequency response change but the added isolation really helps focus on the smaller details (still not a detail whore though) sounds more like a closed back headphone. Not as comfy over long sessions but I can live with it.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #21452 of 379623/5/14 at 9:35pmpost #21453 of 379623/5/14 at 9:59pmThread StarterIf comfort isn't a big issue, the Monster DNA Pro is the best closed back headphone I've heard under $300. Yes, it's that good, though it's limited for gaming, due to a very good seal, and better stereo use than virtual surround.
And lol, I did say A40 with Denon pads before I edited it out as I wasn't sure.
Change: No money gong to be spent on headphones for a good while. If I was gonna jump back in, it'd have to be something worthwhile for all my uses, like an HE-400i or something. But we're talking much later, and highly unlikely in any case.
I might reacquire a pair of KSC75s, since the cable on my modded PX100-II is starting to open up and expose some wires. Clip ons are something I 100% need in my life.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/5/14 at 10:04pmpost #21454 of 379623/5/14 at 11:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by gr34td3str0y3r
I just created a thread (and poll) based on Mad Lust's list, my tastes, and budget. Check out for yourself. The Fidelio X1 won hands down!
I bought them. They will probably be the last open back cans I buy until I get 500$ cash for some hifiman he-5.
Edit: I really wanted the dt-990 but the more I looked into them everyone says they have a treble spike. That turns me off big time. Everyone says in the x1 reviews smooth the curve is. Few if any frequency spike. And massive bass for open back cans, one of the many reasons they make great gaming cans.
(I really want some Beyer cans at one point. I might get the dt-770 closed back for work)
Edit 2: the ma-900 seem to be discontinued in the use, but they seem to be cheaper and still in production in japan. Some for as low as 16,500 yen. About 165$. But 3 of the other cans that I put in poll are 150 to 180$ http://www.amazon.co.jp/ソニー-MDR-MA900-SONY-ステレオヘッドホン-MA900/dp/B007R99S14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394072863&sr=8-1&keywords=Ma-900
Ah, didn't think about ordering from Japan. It should cheaper than ordering from NA Amazon. If not, I'll add the X1 into consideration. Thanks.post #21455 of 379623/6/14 at 1:12amQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Just like I stated many times before, when you're using the Mixamp or other DH device, you need tk use it EXCLUSIVELY for a few days to a week. THEN go back to stereo.
If you're just using it for a few hours, and basing your impressions off that, well, no wonder you're gonna hate on it. Your brain needs time.
As I stated on the first post, I hated DH at first too.
This is for Imperatore.
Oh yes, I've owned Tomb Raider on 3 systems. IT IS A BAD GAME TO TEST DH AUDIO.
Thanks Mad Lust I am using it constantly now. One thing I did notice... There was an electrical wire crackling behind me somewhere, now I decided to flick to stereo and it sounded like it was very close to my ear, when I turned on DS I noticed that I could almost tell the distance this noise was coming from.
To the person who said something must be wrong with me.. A lof of the stuff you read is subjective, you cannot say someone is wrong because their ears do not interpret something the same as you.post #21456 of 379623/6/14 at 1:35amThread StarterNothing is wrong with you. It really is a jarring difference between stereo and Dolby headphone. Dolby headphone will almost always be a turn off at first. Take it from the guy who spent $250 for the A40/Mixamp system, only to really dislike DH and put everything away for a long time, until I got an AD700 and tried again, this time giving it it's time to let it sink in.
Give it a week Imperatore. Like seriously. Just play your games with DH for week, not ONCE checking back in stereo. If you're playing some games with good audio and positional cues, and let your brain adjust to the virtual surround and difference... a week will be enough time to adjust. You'll be surprised how restricting and bottlenecked the sound will be when you go back to stereo.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/6/14 at 1:37ampost #21457 of 379623/6/14 at 2:33am
I was certainly a lot more at peace with it after last nights session. I came across some enemies outside but I could tell where they were so much so that I had my aim on them as soon as I popped my head around the corner. Not many games on PS4 to try it with yet but I'm coming around slowly :)post #21458 of 379623/6/14 at 6:54amOne of my buddies bought some Astros and didn't know about going into the audio settings and changing the digital audio to Dolby. He'd been listening in stereo. I pointed him in the right direction then made him get on black Ops 2 and go to the audio setting something and put it on the headphone audio setting then told him to close his eyes and do the test. He was blown awaypost #21459 of 379623/6/14 at 7:45amQuote:Originally Posted by gr34td3str0y3r
That's interesting. I have had my mix amp I think a little over 4 years. Using my a40s most of the time. When it got my m100 I had to turn my average volume level down. It will be a week until I get my x1s so I can't talk about them yet. but they are what? 30 ohms? 32? So I would imagine it shouldn't be too much different form the a40s or m100s.
I have heard they have made some different versions of mix amps. Maybe they lowered the output. That's too bad, when I mix in an MP3 player with my game audio and a few drinks I have turned my amp up to 100%.
Yeah and my Senn HD598 are 50 and I need to turn the volume to the max or close to it. Whereas with the 2013 mixamp I did not...I guess they changed it quite a bit?post #21460 of 379623/6/14 at 8:17amQuote:Originally Posted by Kriss92
Could need some advice with what headphones to buy. Appreciate all the help.
So i mostly play games on ps3, xbox and a few pc games and i am going to start playing ps4 games later this year also. I have never had any headphones for gaming before so i am not sure what would be good for the consoles. I have looked at ATH-M50, Sony MA900, ATH-AD700x, AKG K701, AKG K702, Sennheiser Momentum and Sennheiser HD598. I really liked ATH-M50 but they didnt do very well in positional audio and i am not sure if they would get better at that with the mixamp pro. The ATH-AD700x, AKG K701, AKG K702 and the Sony MA900 are very good at that i read in this forum and they are about the same price in my country except the MA900 which are 50 dollars cheaper. So i really cant decide what would be the best for me and need some advice. And my budget is around 320-350 dollars.
And since i am playing on consoles a mixamp is a must for good sound?
Anyone?post #21461 of 379623/6/14 at 8:33ampost #21462 of 379623/6/14 at 9:19amQuote:
Yeah they are not so expensive but they look like they will break easy and how are these compared to ad700x for FPS games?
Also i am wondering how the adjustability is. Will they fit good on people with big heads?post #21463 of 379623/6/14 at 9:30amQuote:
I don't think they'll break easy if you take care of them. They might not have as large of a soundstage as the ad700x, but it will still be VERY good (don't compare numbers). MLE has a large noggin, and he loved the fit, so I would guess they're good there as well.post #21464 of 379623/6/14 at 10:00amQuote:
Alright thanks man, think i will buy these headphones.
They should work good on consoles with the mixamp, correct?
And i was thinking about buying the zalman mic and then maybe get a blue yeti when i got more money. Will these work with the MA900's, the mixamp and ps3/ps4?post #21465 of 379623/6/14 at 11:46am
I think everything is covered in post 1 of this thread.
I'd get a mixamp pro 2011 or 13 or 5.8,a pair of Philips X1, and a v-moda boompro.
Maybe consider a Schiit Magni depending on which mixamp you get.
EDIT for links:
Philips Fidelio X1/28 Premium Over-Ear Headphones
Google mixamp to find used and new ones.....V-MODA BoomPro Gaming, VoIP Headset Headphone with Mic, Black
Edited by Prodeje79 - 3/6/14 at 11:49am
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 1 second ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 2 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 1 minute ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › SpinFit Eartips Thread - The cheapest audio upgrade 3 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by mokler
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by mokler
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by td2004
- › Blue Ever Blue Model 1001 by B9Scrambler
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › SONY digital audio player Walkman NW-WM1Z N (Gold) by Whitigir
- › iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp by Sil3nce
- › HRT - MicroStreamer - High Performance External USB Soundcard and... by Sil3nce
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear