Anyone try the ATH-ADG1 yet?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Intro The Meze 12 Classics has been provided to me by the Meze company as part of the official European review tour in exchange for my honest opinion. Later on Meze decided the participants can...
Hello and thanks for getting to my review! Firstly, need to tell you that this DAC/headamp has no battery inside, so those needing something to listen while jogging or walking might need to...
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1429post #21421 of 373293/4/14 at 8:22pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #21422 of 373293/4/14 at 9:05pmpost #21423 of 373293/4/14 at 9:27pmpost #21424 of 373293/4/14 at 10:25pmpost #21425 of 373293/4/14 at 10:30pmQuote:
I'd love to pick up a pair, but with both the T1s and Alpha Dogs coming I doubt I'll be doing so any time soon. Maybe sometime down the road.post #21426 of 373293/4/14 at 11:23pmQuote:
$179 on Amazon right now vs $199 for the Q701. How do the two compare?post #21427 of 373293/5/14 at 1:35am
After a good while I managed to have a long gaming run yesterday and finished Infamous 2 on the PS3.
As usual for Sony 1st Party titles sound samples are better than multiplatform games (see Far Cry 3 and the lack of detail in any sample, smeared and washed out in general) so the Mixamp kinda "shined" . Infamous 2 lacks believable ambience unfortunately (sometimes it's dead silent) but has great music accompanying you throughout the game with big focus on bass and drums and ambience is forgotten during massive battles. In general the sound design is better than the usual multiplat.
I'm still in search for an (mobile) amping device to add to the Mixamp.post #21428 of 373293/5/14 at 1:43am
Well I got the Astro Mixamp Pro yesterday, I think it's great value for money but I think Dolby Headphone is awful. The difference in sound quality between stereo and that was huge when playing Tomb Raider. I can certainly see an advantage in FPS games (which I don't play) but overall, give me stereo any day. Got to decide now if I send it back or keep it, it does have the advantage of allowing me to use a mic in future although this is unlikely, and after looking around I don't see many alternatives for the same price or less (£116). Most DAC/AMP combos I see don't have optical in or are some dodgy make nobody has ever heard of.post #21429 of 373293/5/14 at 2:57amThread StarterPeople keep comparing a headphone stereo to a dsp that mimics a room full lf speakers. Of course there is gonna be a huge difference and DH isn't gonna sound as 'nautral' to a headphone as plain stereo.
Once you get over the shock of it not being a STEREO HEADPHONE sound, you'd see that DH can be quite good, and im not just talking about it's positional cues. People really needtk stop comparing the two, as it's night and day.post #21430 of 373293/5/14 at 3:16am
The trade-off in SQ between Stereo and room-based HRTF for immersion and believability is worth it. Pure stereo gaming and blind spotting or surround feel is a lie. The brain can only "correct" so much but never "create" the feeling of a 3D soundfield out of "simple" stereo. I understand not wanting to give up SQ at all times (as we don't for music) but I personally can "shut it off" for games and movies.
Additionally: Dolby Headphone over an STX or fed to a good DAC/Amp (from a soundcard/device) is a huge difference in SQ over a Mixamp, it's night and day. I remember purely testing SQ in BF3 PC@Xonar STX vs. DD5.1 -> Mixamp, it was shocking, no hyperbole. The Mixamp is just the best we can work with with consoles unless we drop a lot money for a Headzone.
The less the SQ is affected the better of course. Best compromise right now is SBX (Headzone is even a bit better and Realizer the reference) but it's not for consoles.
Edited by Fegefeuer - 3/5/14 at 4:23ampost #21431 of 373293/5/14 at 3:46am
I felt less immersed using the DS on Tomb Raider. Suddenly, those thundering gunshots being fired at me had lost all punch and weight, then there was the intricate sound of water that had now become faint and shallow. Yet I could just as easily tell the direction with the DS turned off. I'm personally going down the route now of thinking that there is no substitute for having 5 physical speakers placed around you and stereo is simply the way forward for headphones. I need to try some different games I think but certainly on that one I wasn't feeling it. Will spend a good few hours with it on tonight and see if I can learn to appreciate it more.
I thought the Mixamp contained a DAC anyway? I'm going to look into this Headzone thing and see if I can tell the difference ifI order it.
This Head Zone seems very old and hard to find. Direct is like £700, not sure I'm willing to part with that tbh.
Edited by Imperatore - 3/5/14 at 4:17ampost #21432 of 373293/5/14 at 4:43am
Of course it has a DAC, else you wouldn't be able to hear anything.
I worded it lazy and actually meant Xonar Essence STX or "DHP soundcard/device --> digital out --> good DAC/AMP" > Mixamp (world's apart in quality).
The Headzone might be old in graphics card cycle terms but it's room HRTF is still better than all that are priced below it. 700 bucks is too much though.
Tomb Raider is more of a game whose sound design relies on ambience, shock/tension rather than listenning for positions/directions. Kinda like Dead Space.
Still, your problem is the Mixamp.
Would be easier for you to get a gaming PC with a good soundcard.post #21433 of 373293/5/14 at 5:12am
I have both but I tend to play more games on consoles these days. I wonder if I'd be happier if I got a decent DAc/AMp like The Mav Audio Tube Magic and just forget about the DS as I've gamed just fine without it for 20 years.post #21434 of 373293/5/14 at 5:41am
Could need some advice with what headphones to buy. Appreciate all the help.
So i mostly play games on ps3, xbox and a few pc games and i am going to start playing ps4 games later this year also. I have never had any headphones for gaming before so i am not sure what would be good for the consoles. I have looked at ATH-M50, Sony MA900, ATH-AD700x, AKG K701, AKG K702, Sennheiser Momentum and Sennheiser HD598. I really liked ATH-M50 but they didnt do very well in positional audio and i am not sure if they would get better at that with the mixamp pro. The ATH-AD700x, AKG K701, AKG K702 and the Sony MA900 are very good at that i read in this forum and they are about the same price in my country except the MA900 which are 50 dollars cheaper. So i really cant decide what would be the best for me and need some advice. And my budget is around 320-350 dollars.
And since i am playing on consoles a mixamp is a must for good sound?
Edited by Kriss92 - 3/5/14 at 8:32ampost #21435 of 373293/5/14 at 7:46am
Ok so I am guessing the amp on the 2011 mixamp is different than the 2013 right? The reason I ask is on my X1's I am having to pump up the volume quite a lot higher than I did with the 2013s.
Can the 2011 run the same types of cans as the 2013 and just as well? Kind of surprised how high I have to crank the volume...
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 32 seconds ago
- › Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp 38 seconds ago
- › Absolute best budget earbuds? 58 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › New CEntrance DACportable dac-amp 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★FAQ in 3rd post!★☆ 3 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition] 5 minutes ago
- › Elemental Watson Class-A Valve/Mosfet Hybrid Headphone Amplifier... 6 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by sonickarma
- › Meze 12 Classics by OSiRiSsk
- › Roland Mobile UA UA-M10 USB Audio Interface by raoultrifan
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear