But how it does in music? I know I can't go wrong with it, but should anyone of the others I've said do a better job?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1415
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #21212 of 374672/23/14 at 12:54pmQuote:
Depends on what music genres you listen to... and what your sound preferences are...post #21213 of 374672/23/14 at 1:27pmQuote:
As I said here:Quote:Originally Posted by Lucas Bezerra
Hi guys, I hope I get some good advice here =). Let's say it, I need the "best headphones" (I know this word doesn't exist in therms of audio, but...) that I can get for competitive first person shooter gaming sessions that also MUST fit a rock lover requirements for a outstanding eargasm. As I'm a starter, my budget for the HP is something like $250 (the less, the better). The HP will be paired with a Creative Soundblaster Z as I need a good 3D view of my enemies/mates location and, IF needed, a Schiit Magni Amplifier can be also put in the cart (you can also make your point here). Maybe I use it on my guitar amp too. I'm gonna use it for something like 8h/day at the vacations, so it needs to be very comfortable and pleasant (my Porta Pro bends my hair almost permanently and this makes me very, very angry). I'm not going to say the music-to-gaming using time ratio because I really think I need something good at both, but if you want cut anything out, I prefer the music quality over the gaming (not too much). Said that statements and after read this Guide, I think these are my options: AKG Q701 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 vs Beyerdynamic DT990 vs Philips Fidelio X1 vs Sony MA900 vs HiFiMAN HE-400. What do you think? If I forgot anything that can make your recommendation easier just tell me and I will add it. A little help from the thread starter would be also very appreciated. Thanks in advance to all you and sorry for any English Grammar murdering,
I want a good HP for competitive FPS games and music. I almost only like rock and, as I said above, and want the most outstanding experience possible with it (understand rock as The Black Keys, RHCP, The Offspring, Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters... these kinds). I'm in a really bad doubt here...
Edited by Lucas Bezerra - 2/23/14 at 1:29pmpost #21214 of 374672/23/14 at 1:30pmpost #21215 of 374672/23/14 at 1:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
That's one hell of a dip at 1khz. Yes, the midrange is lower than the bass and treble. IIRC, upper bass turns to midrange after 300hz or so, which is when that graph starts dipping. At 1khz, it starts it's gradual climb towards treble, where it peaks. Everything between the upper bass and treble is dipping to the 1khz mark.
I see. I think the K540's have insane clarity and timbre for their price, even more clarity and slightly better timbre than the Shure SRH-840's, which is way more expensive. The only thing that's really bothering me is that the vocals sound pushed back.post #21216 of 374672/23/14 at 2:23pmQuote:
I agree. Headphone "Surround" is decent but it's no way positionally (or simple panning) as good as SBX/DH/CMSS.post #21217 of 374672/23/14 at 2:49pmpost #21218 of 374672/23/14 at 3:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by 3X0
Never made the pretense of surround. It's a really good stereo mix compared against BF3.
Not sure how it compares to BL2 but that's my other good reference point. You don't need DH or CMSS-3D to get superb imaging from that game, despite the stereo mix.
If you compare the three games BF3 is the only one that sounds purely L/R with no center or spatial cues and needs a DSP to be half-decent. I wouldn't be surprised if BF3 was a step back compared to BFBC2, but I'm too lazy to fire that one up.
Of course if you're using headphones with garbage imaging to begin with it won't help much.
Are you sure you've played these games? BFBC2 was garbage with directional accuracy. BF3 was a huge step up and BF4 is just as good.post #21219 of 374672/23/14 at 3:41pmQuote:
Don't remember enough about BFBC2. I know that BF3 is terrible with directional sound (DSP is basically necessary), and BF4 is not.post #21220 of 374672/23/14 at 4:02pmQuote:
Do you happen to have any idea what the BoomPro would be like in regards to noise cancelling? I share a room and my current condenser mic picks up absolutely everything and was looking at the BoomPro hoping that it would cancel out my roommates voice as well as the various other noises in the house.post #21221 of 374672/23/14 at 8:05pmpost #21222 of 374672/24/14 at 12:39am
Hi guys, I don't know if this would be the right place to mention this, but I just tried a mod that I would recommend for people with the AD 700 headphones.
As I would imagine, this headphone would cause some people discomfort after an hour due to the thin pads. This happened to me as well, so I tried to switch the pads out. The pads are thin and rather awkwardly shaped, so I had to look for pads that could fit without damage.
I noticed that, using the pads from my Superlux HD 681 Evo (I would assume K240 pads would work as well). My initial impressions using the velour pads from the HD 681 was that the soundstage was even larger and the treble was more sparkly. Using the pleather pads, I felt that the bass was definitely a bit stronger, while directional cues seemed easier to detect. I didn't feel that the pads altered the sound very distinctly. These are all initial impressions, so take these observations with a bit of salt.
If anyone can try this mod and tell me their impressions as well, I would appreciate it.
Edited by FruityGayGuy - 2/24/14 at 12:46ampost #21223 of 374672/24/14 at 12:42amQuote:AKG K545 (2.5mm, need confirmation w/2.5mm adapter)
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Focal Spirit Pro, Classic
Monster DNA On Ear, DNA Pro
MrSpeakers Mad Dog (single ended version)
NAD Viso HP50
Philips Fidelio X1
Ultrasone Pro 900, 2900 (need confirmation)
Vmoda M80, M100, LP2
Thanks for confirming this for me. Looking forward to buying one.
I have the UE6000, MDR 1R and Q40 of the list. how do these headphones rate as gamer headphones?
Nad HP50 and the COP is probably my next buys.post #21224 of 374672/24/14 at 2:11amQuote:
Are you going to keep them all (if you like them)?post #21225 of 374672/24/14 at 2:20amThread StarterI haven't reviewed those headphones. Since I haven't heard/reviewed them, no way will I say whether they're good or not. As closed, isolating headphones, I don't think I'd like them that much for gaming. Open is the way to go for me, save for a few exceptions like the Alpha Dog (which won't even work with the BoomPro). I have NOT confirmed the Ultrasones, and calpis has told me the jacks are recessed, so it may NOT work for those Ultrasones.
That list is just a list stating what the BoomPro WOULD connect to. It is not a recommendations list. I bolded the X1, because that IS a recommended headphone for gaming.
If I get someone else ask me the same thing about those headphones off that list, I will be removing the list (nothing against you, just I don't want the same question asked about headphones I haven't tested) and changing it to a list of headphones I recommend with the BoomPro. Since I have not owned/tested almost ANY good headphones with a detachable 3.5mm cable that would be good for gaming, the list would be quite miniscule.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/24/14 at 2:30am
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 29 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 2 minutes ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 2 minutes ago
- › [Reviewers Wanted] World Tour for Cayin i5 - Android based AK4490... 3 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 4 minutes ago
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia - NEW Products + Flagship Upgrade Program! 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 8 minutes ago
- › Nordost Heimdall headphone cable 9 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 10 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Takeanidea
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear