or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1364

post #20446 of 37466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
 

 

It was part of a focus group. Originally, the headphones were supposed to go to the focus group well before the public release of the headphones, but it got held up a bit. As it turned out, though, by the time the participants in the focus group got the headphones (which I think some did before its public release), and then had the chance to listen to and evaluate them, the DNA Pro was on the shelves. Because the original focus group schedule was supposed to be earlier than it turned out in actuality, the participants were asked not to discuss the headphones prior to its release. I didn't communicate clearly to the participants that the headphone was indeed actually out by the time they'd had a chance to spend some real time with them, only because I wasn't 100% clear on what the actual embargo date was.

 

Only when pre-release embargoes are involved is there any need to clear a review's posting date/time. Sorry for the confusion, Mad Lust Envy.

Ahh. Embargo dates. That makes complete sense.

post #20447 of 37466

Looks like I'll finally get to hear the E7. Picked up a used one on Amazon for $22.88 shipped. If nothing else it will replace my ELE-D02 at the office. But I may also use it for gaming until my Geek Pulse comes later this year.

post #20448 of 37466
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

It was part of a focus group. Originally, the headphones were supposed to go to the focus group well before the public release of the headphones, but it got held up a bit. As it turned out, though, by the time the participants in the focus group got the headphones (which I think some did before its public release), and then had the chance to listen to and evaluate them, the DNA Pro was on the shelves. Because the original focus group schedule was supposed to be earlier than it turned out in actuality, the participants were asked not to discuss the headphones prior to its release. I didn't communicate clearly to the participants that the headphone was indeed actually out by the time they'd had a chance to spend some real time with them, only because I wasn't 100% clear on what the actual embargo date was.

Only when pre-release embargoes are involved is there any need to clear a review's posting date/time. Sorry for the confusion, Mad Lust Envy.

No prob, Jude. Even with that delay I still didn't manage to get around to editing the last bit of changes, lol.
post #20449 of 37466

Hey a few questions for you guys.

 

On the review of the dt770 pro, you say it would be very good for gaming but the bass lets it down. If you are gaming on PC and have the luxury of EQ'ing the base to be very low, would they be worthy of top competitive gaming headphones?

 

With that in mind, what would you consider best for gaming/music out of these two? I already have creative sound card for EQ

 

A) DT 770 PRO 80 + Fiio E18

B) ATH-M50 + ATH700x + Fiio E5

post #20450 of 37466

Just got my TB DSS 1 in the mail today. I gotta say for what I have heard so far I am pleasantly surprised. I really did not have much hope for this little thing but it does work decently well. So far my only complaint is that when using them with my brothers modded grados sr60is the volume control sucks. Its gets loud pretty fast on the dial with these headphones.  It probably wont be an issue when connecting it to my Project Ember amp, and alpha dogs. Also there was quite a bit of sibilance in the girls voice from Battlefield 4, however the grados are a harsh headphone so it may not have been the DSS's fault.

post #20451 of 37466
After researching and mulling my options over I've currently settled on the Q701 for $200 (instead of some AD700 I was originally leaning towards). I want headphones with a strong emphasis in competitive FPS gameplay but I like how the Q701 are just a touch more fun than something like the old AD700's. Since I'm about ready to purchase is there anything else I should consider? Is there anything coming out soon that's worth waiting for? I can go up to around $250.
post #20452 of 37466
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRusko View Post
 

Hey a few questions for you guys.

 

On the review of the dt770 pro, you say it would be very good for gaming but the bass lets it down. If you are gaming on PC and have the luxury of EQ'ing the base to be very low, would they be worthy of top competitive gaming headphones?

 

With that in mind, what would you consider best for gaming/music out of these two? I already have creative sound card for EQ

 

A) DT 770 PRO 80 + Fiio E18

B) ATH-M50 + ATH700x + Fiio E5

I would think the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones would be an improvement on the ATH-M50 and do decently well for surround sound gaming.

post #20453 of 37466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper View Post

After researching and mulling my options over I've currently settled on the Q701 for $200 (instead of some AD700 I was originally leaning towards). I want headphones with a strong emphasis in competitive FPS gameplay but I like how the Q701 are just a touch more fun than something like the old AD700's. Since I'm about ready to purchase is there anything else I should consider? Is there anything coming out soon that's worth waiting for? I can go up to around $250.
The Q701 is amazing form competitive gaming. Go ahead and make the purchase with confidence. Just make sure you power them accordingly.
post #20454 of 37466
Hey guys, I'm back! There have been like 25 new pages since last time (and, I see, a new MLE review! Nice one Mad, tho FYI being "adamant" about something is to stick to your guns about something... I'm often adamant, despite my name, lol).

Anything I miss, or need to respond to? Btw, the SB Z must be mailed back soon, so I'll be forced to set up the Omni. Lol. Work has finally begun slowing down.
post #20455 of 37466
I think someone asked about the M100 for gaimg a couple times. I tagged you to respond, but I see you were gone for a while lol.

Welcome back...
post #20456 of 37466
Ooh snap!
Well, if I put the K712 as a 10 for fav gaming headphone, I would put the Q701 at 9.5 (needs tube amp to create depth of image), MA900 at 8.5 for gaming (great imaging and surround, but were more dull for me), the AD700 at about 8 (lean bass and some treble grain but otherwise have a fair helping of surround special sauce for their price), the M100 is at 7 or 6.5 (surprising imaging for closed can, more interesting than MA900 tho not as natural imaging, bass-weighted sound, long-term comfort and bass-fatigue issues for me, but totally a serviceable closed can) about tied with the Koss KSC75 sound (different character tho), stereo gaming with my decent Sony desktop speakers at about a 3 (good and comfortable, but without surround is like playing with one arm tied behind my back, not as good separation between sounds as with headphones), and finally the speakers built-in to my Panasonic TV at about .5 or something (not fun, not competitive because it's basically mono sound, audio is more like an alert rather than a radar or alternate-environment).

That's just a relative order based just on what I'd like to use for gaming, without extensively breaking it all down. The M-100 wins a place in my collection as a good closed headphone, that's it's biggest stand-out in this line-up but it's sound is fundamentally good.

My take may differ from Mad's... I agree with his AD700 Amazon review, but I'd wager that he'd place the M-100 above the AD700 and a bit below the ma900 based on enjoying gaming with the M-100. I'll have to send them to him sometime, but I don't want to make shipping a hardship :P
Edited by Evshrug - 1/26/14 at 11:31pm
post #20457 of 37466
Evshrug, at $400 do you think the K712 is worth twice the price of the $200 Q701?
post #20458 of 37466
Eh, neoooooooooooh... It's gonna come down to personal taste, sonically they're close, but you may value the K712's differences more than the quantity of difference. The K712 is "there" for me, but the q701 is "very nearly there."

I don't think the price difference is worth it, but on the other hand I often feel happy enough with the K712 sound even without a special amp and careful tube rolling: I've lately been using the K712 plugged straight into my DSS and SoundBlaster Z without double-amping, which is worth considering (it still scales up with equipment). I only jumped on the K712 because I got it on sale, but if money was tight I'd sell it and keep the Q701 (or give the K612 a try, I really want to). If you find the K712 on sale, it may be worth it long-term.
Edited by Evshrug - 1/26/14 at 11:29pm
post #20459 of 37466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

I only jumped on the K712 because I got it on sale, but if money was tight I'd sell it and keep the Q701 (or give the K612 a try, I really want to). If you find the K712 on sale, it may be worth it long-term.

 

I still don't understand why you still have BOTH the Q701 and K712.  It doesn't make sense to me to keep both of them around, when you can swap pads and get very nearly the same effect as owning both - but for much, much cheaper.

 

If it were me, I would keep the K712, sell the Q701, then buy Q701 pads.

post #20460 of 37466
Because I'm bad about selling things, once I own them. Also stuff like wanting to try to hear the difference of a pad swap before I sell one, but by the time I get home from work I don't feel like mucking around and just want to jump straight into playing a game.

How's your PC build coming? And the FiiO device petition?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)