I am absolutely torn between the Q701's and DT990 Pro 250's, I've been reading here for over a week and just can't make my decision. Hoping you all can help me to make my decision, here are my constraints, facts, and plans:
- The best headphones I have ever owned are $10 earbuds, seriously. This is my first good pair and I'm really looking forward to them.
- These will be used 99.9% of the time for gaming, primarily FPS games like Battlefield 4 (Titanfall, The Division, etc.) in the future.
- The DT990 Pro 250's are $50 cheaper and I am on as tight of a budget as possible
- My sound card will be the Sound Blaster Z
- I will have to budget on my amp, I am thinking something like the O2 or Fiio E9
Questions I am looking to finally answer:
1) Which headphones should I go for, given the above?
2) Any other recommendations on sound card within the <$80 range? Or is the Sound Blaster Z the way to go with this pricepoint?
3) Any recommendations on a different amp within the < $125 range? If not, does the O2 or E9 match up better to the headphones you chose?
I'd recommend the DT990 as the safer choice for your first audiophile headphone, especially if used mostly for immersive FPS gaming. The Q701 will give you less bass and better positional accuracy but less immersion than the DT990. The DTs do have a bit of a treble spike though.
The problem is they are both somewhat different, the DT990 being slightly U shaped [more bass & treble, less mids] and the Q701 being more of an N shaped headphone [less bass, more mids & treble].
I'd still probably go for the DT990 solely for gaming though [Can't you get the Philips Fidelio X1 for a similar price? I think that'd be the best fit for you]
O2 is probably the best amp, more neutral. The E9 is warmer but IT DOES NOT synergize well with the AKGs in general so the O2 is a more versatile option. The Xonar DX/XD is a very good choice, cheaper too. Has a good DAC in it.