or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1307

post #19591 of 37352
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

For now, the MA900 is special enough to keep and so is the X1...
Though to put things into perspective - in my situation, the Q701 can be had for just over 300 USD, the 612 Pros are 200 USD, the K701 is 250 USD, K702 goes for over 350 USD and last, but not least, the K712 pro is 600 USD...
I'd like to not break the bank obviously, but the K712 are out as a first AKG purchase.
The 612 Pro seem like a very good deal as it basically is the Amazon price, 8 bump K701 is close behind... and quite a bit cheaper than the Qs [especially if the newer one is identical... I also like the looks better and non-removable cables shouldn't be a problem.]

So its a toss-up between the newer K701s and the 612s.
Any amps and DACs better for them than the E09k around a similar price? [ideally, a DAC+amp around 300USD, or an amp around 200...]

Any thoughts, Change is Good, others?
Thanks, appreciate it.

Hmm, I see. Well, if you can withstand the bumps I'd say the Q701 would be your best bet... as it doesn't overlap as much with the MA900 as the K712 would. I have no experience with the 612 so can't comment, there.
Edited by Change is Good - 1/3/14 at 2:00am
post #19592 of 37352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post


Hmm, I see. Well, if you can withstand the bumps I'd say the Q701 would be your best bet. I have no experience with the 612 so can't comnent, there.

I was thinking the K701 rather than the Q701... many sources indicate that the newer Ks [8 bumps 701 and 702] sound the same as the Qs.

And 50 bucks cheaper is 50 bucks.

There is an authorized dealer who offers both the Q701 and K702 for the same price [that is roughly 300] while the K701 is 250 and K612 is 200...

But I am just repeating myself :P

Regardless, if K701=Q701, then =>K701>Q701 :D

 

If not then I dunno... Its a again a toss-up...

 

I wish someone could clarify the new vs old Ks once and for all :]

post #19593 of 37352
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

I was thinking the K701 rather than the Q701... many sources indicate that the newer Ks [8 bumps 701 and 702] sound the same as the Qs.

And 50 bucks cheaper is 50 bucks.

There is an authorized dealer who offers both the Q701 and K702 for the same price [that is roughly 300] while the K701 is 250 and K612 is 200...

But I am just repeating myself :P

Regardless, if K701=Q701, then =>K701>Q701 :D

 

If not then I dunno... Its a again a toss-up...

 

I wish someone could clarify the new vs old Ks once and for all :]

 

Yea, I guess you're right. I only suggested the Q because of the detachable cable (my preference). I can't comment on the difference in sound as I never heard the original K701.

post #19594 of 37352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Yea, I guess you're right. I only suggested the Q because of the detachable cable (my preference). I can't comment on the difference in sound as I never heard the original K701.

Which AKGs have you heard?
post #19595 of 37352
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

2011 Mixamp + A30 Headset, for $109.99 shipped.

 

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Astro-Gaming-A30-Wired-Audio-System/productID.253781900

 

That's a pretty good deal.

 

A brand new Mixamp with a cheap headset bundled with it, free of charge? I'll admit, that IS tempting.

 

But I just don't have the money or any real need for it right now. If anything, I'd mainly want it for use with my MMX 300, particularly chat mixing, but it's by no means imperative.

post #19596 of 37352
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post


Which AKGs have you heard?

 

Q701, K702 AE, K712

post #19597 of 37352
Thread Starter 
Hmm, if only that deal were around when I bought my 2011 Mixamp, I'd have went for it, in a heartbeat, well obvioucly, since i bought my 2011 Mixamp for near that price.
post #19598 of 37352

I definitely would get it for my nephew if I had the extra money, right now.

post #19599 of 37352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Q701, K702 AE, K712

How different are the Q701. and the K702AE?
Have you tried interchanging their pads to see if the pads indeed make a lot of difference?
Thanks
post #19600 of 37352
Thread Starter 
K702 AE and Q701 are 99.9% the same IF YOU use the same pads. The AE was a hint warmer (like a miniscule amount of a HINT), but without a side by side comparison (which I did), you wouldn't know which is which based on sound alone, IF THEY USE THE SAME PADS. The pad differences are what makes the AE and Q701 sound like two different headphones. So owning both pads effectively gives you both headphones.

If you have the Q701, buy some AE pads = basically instant Annie, but with headband bumps.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/3/14 at 6:08am
post #19601 of 37352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

K702 AE and Q701 are 99.9% the same IF YOU use the same pads. The AE was a hint warmer (like a miniscule amount of a HINT), but without a side by side comparison (which I did), you wouldn't know which is which based on sound alone, IF THEY USE THE SAME PADS. The pad differences are what makes the AE and Q701 sound like two different headphones. So owning both pads effectively gives you both headphones.

If you have the Q701, buy some AE pads = basically instant Annie, but with headband bumps.

What's the difference between the AKG K612 and the Philips X1? I'm doubting between those 2 headphones.

post #19602 of 37352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

K702 AE and Q701 are 99.9% the same IF YOU use the same pads. The AE was a hint warmer (like a miniscule amount of a HINT), but without a side by side comparison (which I did), you wouldn't know which is which based on sound alone, IF THEY USE THE SAME PADS. The pad differences are what makes the AE and Q701 sound like two different headphones. So owning both pads effectively gives you both headphones.

If you have the Q701, buy some AE pads = basically instant Annie, but with headband bumps.

Following that logic the Q701 must then be the same as the K701/2 as the annie edition only has different pads and. Cosmetics...
Correct me if I am wrong.
post #19603 of 37352

What's the best amp/DAC option and best replacement cable in Europe for the Fidelio X1? Also, how does the X1 compare to the AKG K612.

post #19604 of 37352

oh gosh deleted all...


Edited by Nokami - 1/3/14 at 10:27am
post #19605 of 37352
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

Following that logic the Q701 must then be the same as the K701/2 as the annie edition only has different pads and. Cosmetics...
Correct me if I am wrong.

I can only speak for the Q701 and Annies, since I owned a very old K701 that sounded a bit different from the Q701, and has gone through an extra bump, pad, and sonic changes, and I haven't heard a standard K702.



As for K612 and X1, i haven't heard the K612, but I'm betting it's a bit more polite, and less bassy than the X1. Going by graphs, both have a very clean/balanced mid to treble range, with the X1 having a peak at 10khz that isn't offensive at all to my ears, certainly no DT990 type peak. The X1 will be easy to drive, and i hear the K612 demands some decent amping. Willing to be the K612 is incredibly comfortable, if going by how the Annie with Q701 pads feels. The X1 is excellent in comfort.


Nokami, AD700x if you really need footstep whoring.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/3/14 at 9:45am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)