Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Dynamic headphones by the primarily planar producing HiFiman, very good value(especially if you live in america). Detailed and strong treble, decent mids and midbass yet a little light on lower...
Confusingly, I think Sennheiser is rebranding the Momentum In-Ear (M2 IEi) headphones as HD 1 In-Ear – specifications and appearance are identical. I bought these when my Klipsch S4i started...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONEvery so often as a reviewer you get a surprise – something not quite expected. Sometimes its...
Hello, This is my first review on Head-Fi, or anywhere else for that matter. I will not go through the normal paces of creating a review based on the set pattern of product history, build and...
The detail, imaging, and sound-staging are accurate and bring your headphones the neutral platform they need in order to perform the way their engineers intended. The DAC is the high point of...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1300
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #19487 of 3826612/29/13 at 12:10amQuote:
I sure hope so, given the price...
...but for what it's worth, I also deem the Stax SR-Lambda (1979 Normal bias model) to also be an excellent all-rounder.post #19488 of 3826612/29/13 at 12:15amThread StarterThe Fidelio X1 can also be added to the mix, though with a little extra emphasis on bass.
The MA900 can too, though some may prefer more emphasis on treble, and a bass that extends lower than the 50hz that the MA900 basically starts out in (in terms of matching at least everything else.)
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/29/13 at 12:16ampost #19489 of 3826612/29/13 at 12:23amThe thing with all rounders is that one will always have you feeling like you want something more. Whether it be more bass, more mids, larger soundstage, etc, ect... something will always be missing. Better to have two headphones that compliment each other towards your needs, if you ask me...
Oh, sorry about our wallets... :Ppost #19490 of 3826612/29/13 at 12:26amThread StarterI dunno, the Alpha Dog is almost the perfect all rounder, IMO. What it may lack may be in a subjective preference of tonality. As far as bass, mids, treble, soundstage, positional cues? It has all of it. I haven't heard a headphone so dialed in to make every aspect of sound...sound so good. I swear, if it had pads like the 1540, that'd be pretty much the best headphone to own since it does everything so well.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/29/13 at 12:28ampost #19491 of 3826612/29/13 at 12:47amThe Alpha would have me craving more bass as it has less than the MD... because even when I had that I wanted more. Hence the 1540...
The K712, for its purpose, had me craving less of a mid bass hump... hence the 1840. At first, I was craving more bass when I was looking for an all rounder... but there were too many trade offs (especially when I was gaming and chatting).
But even with the 1840... I'm left craving more soundstage. So, still looking for that near perfect open headphone. HD800? Yes, when I hit the lotto lol.
I'm happy with the 1540 w/Alpha pads as my closed and 'fun' headphones. That is, until someone let's me demo the TH900.
TH900 + HD800 = every head-fier's dream (or Chico's, at least :P)
Edited by Change is Good - 12/29/13 at 1:08ampost #19492 of 3826612/29/13 at 1:04amQuote:
Did you get to play around with the bass adjustment screw?post #19493 of 3826612/29/13 at 1:13am
From what I've read the screw adjustment has no positive effect, whatsoever, as the enhanced bass isn't well controlled... which would make it redundant to have such a feature, IMO. It's actually the main disappointment Ive read about... along with the actual weight of the headphone. The MD was a bit heavy on my head, sometimes, after extended periods. So I can only imagine the AD. My neck is used to light headphones on my head... like the open AKGs and now the recent Shures.
Again, this is only going from what I've researched... and the last two reviews have confirmed my concerns about the Alpha (for my preference in a closed headphone).
Edited by Change is Good - 12/29/13 at 1:26ampost #19494 of 3826612/29/13 at 2:15amQuote:Originally Posted by Change is Good
The thing with all rounders is that one will always have you feeling like you want something more. Whether it be more bass, more mids, larger soundstage, etc, ect... something will always be missing. Better to have two headphones that compliment each other towards your needs, if you ask me...
Oh, sorry about our wallets... :P
I personally found it the opposite, a good all-rounder will satisfy and prevent me from listening to all my other headphones. I'm perfectly satisfied with my K612 on my hybrid tube amp, it does everything I want it to do very well. It sounds better on all genres and applications than my other headphones as it sounds the most realistic of any headphone I have owned by a long shot and it's an addicting bugger. I never felt the urge for more even though I know of and have heard better headphones and systems.post #19495 of 3826612/29/13 at 7:24am
Sorry to interrupt, but I have some leftover dollars in my pocket and I'm thinking of buying a noice set of headphones for gaming. I took a look at this thread and decided either the AD700X or the PC360 would suite my needs. Of course you can already tell what I'm going to ask next, but which is better? The AD700X has a great soundstage and all that snaz, but is uncomfortable for small headed people like me. While the PC360 has a wunderbar ID and a mic, which I don't have. I don't play FPS all day every day, as I mostly play strategy and RPG games (Skyrim only for the moment) and some Battlefield 4.post #19496 of 3826612/29/13 at 8:14amRainbow,
Was your second post the same as your first?
From what you've said, I'd recommend the PC360 (or the cheaper but essentially the same HD558 with a cheap lapel mic), though I think if you read the guide post and weighed the pros and cons, you would come to the same conclusion (unless you have a higher budget). GL HF.post #19497 of 3826612/29/13 at 8:48amQuote:Originally Posted by RainbowPee
Sorry to interrupt, but I have some leftover dollars in my pocket and I'm thinking of buying a noice set of headphones for gaming. I took a look at this thread and decided either the AD700X or the PC360 would suite my needs. Of course you can already tell what I'm going to ask next, but which is better? The AD700X has a great soundstage and all that snaz, but is uncomfortable for small headed people like me. While the PC360 has a wunderbar ID and a mic, which I don't have. I don't play FPS all day every day, as I mostly play strategy and RPG games (Skyrim only for the moment) and some Battlefield 4.
Get the Sennheiser HD558.post #19498 of 3826612/29/13 at 9:01amQuote:
Growing up I used a machine like this a couple times a week. Many people use it to train their neck for wrestling and such, I used it to train my neck for skiing. This machine is wonderful and it has improved my listening pleasure immensely, as I can wear pretty much any headphone on my head no matter how heavy and still find it comfortable. The Mad Dogs don't feel heavy in the slightest to me, in fact I can completely forget that they're on my head at times.
This is something every headphone aficionado should have in their home.
[disclaimer: this is partially a joke and partially truth]post #19499 of 3826612/29/13 at 9:37amThread Starter
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 18 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 19 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 33 seconds ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes W900 Hybrid Flagship Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90) 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800- Like new - 6 minutes ago
- › Need help with choosing Dac/amp for AKG K712 Pro 7 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by B9Scrambler
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by TwinACStacks
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by SOULSIK
- › Brainwavz B200 by earfonia
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear