Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
Preamble Whilst I have been an audio enthusiast for many years now, I must admit I have never really been all that interested in using any kind of esoteric cables with my systems. I have always...
Preamble: It is finally happening – Brainwavz Audio is making in-ears with Balanced Armature drivers again. After they were introduced to the public few months ago, the two single-BA...
The Lyra, released back in 2014-15 was refreshed along with Campfire Audio's dynamic and hybrid lineup as the Lyra II, and is a personal single dynamic driver favourite. We would like to thank...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1300
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #19487 of 3787212/29/13 at 12:10amQuote:
I sure hope so, given the price...
...but for what it's worth, I also deem the Stax SR-Lambda (1979 Normal bias model) to also be an excellent all-rounder.post #19488 of 3787212/29/13 at 12:15amThread StarterThe Fidelio X1 can also be added to the mix, though with a little extra emphasis on bass.
The MA900 can too, though some may prefer more emphasis on treble, and a bass that extends lower than the 50hz that the MA900 basically starts out in (in terms of matching at least everything else.)
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/29/13 at 12:16ampost #19489 of 3787212/29/13 at 12:23amThe thing with all rounders is that one will always have you feeling like you want something more. Whether it be more bass, more mids, larger soundstage, etc, ect... something will always be missing. Better to have two headphones that compliment each other towards your needs, if you ask me...
Oh, sorry about our wallets... :Ppost #19490 of 3787212/29/13 at 12:26amThread StarterI dunno, the Alpha Dog is almost the perfect all rounder, IMO. What it may lack may be in a subjective preference of tonality. As far as bass, mids, treble, soundstage, positional cues? It has all of it. I haven't heard a headphone so dialed in to make every aspect of sound...sound so good. I swear, if it had pads like the 1540, that'd be pretty much the best headphone to own since it does everything so well.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/29/13 at 12:28ampost #19491 of 3787212/29/13 at 12:47amThe Alpha would have me craving more bass as it has less than the MD... because even when I had that I wanted more. Hence the 1540...
The K712, for its purpose, had me craving less of a mid bass hump... hence the 1840. At first, I was craving more bass when I was looking for an all rounder... but there were too many trade offs (especially when I was gaming and chatting).
But even with the 1840... I'm left craving more soundstage. So, still looking for that near perfect open headphone. HD800? Yes, when I hit the lotto lol.
I'm happy with the 1540 w/Alpha pads as my closed and 'fun' headphones. That is, until someone let's me demo the TH900.
TH900 + HD800 = every head-fier's dream (or Chico's, at least :P)
Edited by Change is Good - 12/29/13 at 1:08ampost #19492 of 3787212/29/13 at 1:04amQuote:
Did you get to play around with the bass adjustment screw?post #19493 of 3787212/29/13 at 1:13am
From what I've read the screw adjustment has no positive effect, whatsoever, as the enhanced bass isn't well controlled... which would make it redundant to have such a feature, IMO. It's actually the main disappointment Ive read about... along with the actual weight of the headphone. The MD was a bit heavy on my head, sometimes, after extended periods. So I can only imagine the AD. My neck is used to light headphones on my head... like the open AKGs and now the recent Shures.
Again, this is only going from what I've researched... and the last two reviews have confirmed my concerns about the Alpha (for my preference in a closed headphone).
Edited by Change is Good - 12/29/13 at 1:26ampost #19494 of 3787212/29/13 at 2:15amQuote:Originally Posted by Change is Good
The thing with all rounders is that one will always have you feeling like you want something more. Whether it be more bass, more mids, larger soundstage, etc, ect... something will always be missing. Better to have two headphones that compliment each other towards your needs, if you ask me...
Oh, sorry about our wallets... :P
I personally found it the opposite, a good all-rounder will satisfy and prevent me from listening to all my other headphones. I'm perfectly satisfied with my K612 on my hybrid tube amp, it does everything I want it to do very well. It sounds better on all genres and applications than my other headphones as it sounds the most realistic of any headphone I have owned by a long shot and it's an addicting bugger. I never felt the urge for more even though I know of and have heard better headphones and systems.post #19495 of 3787212/29/13 at 7:24am
Sorry to interrupt, but I have some leftover dollars in my pocket and I'm thinking of buying a noice set of headphones for gaming. I took a look at this thread and decided either the AD700X or the PC360 would suite my needs. Of course you can already tell what I'm going to ask next, but which is better? The AD700X has a great soundstage and all that snaz, but is uncomfortable for small headed people like me. While the PC360 has a wunderbar ID and a mic, which I don't have. I don't play FPS all day every day, as I mostly play strategy and RPG games (Skyrim only for the moment) and some Battlefield 4.post #19496 of 3787212/29/13 at 8:14amRainbow,
Was your second post the same as your first?
From what you've said, I'd recommend the PC360 (or the cheaper but essentially the same HD558 with a cheap lapel mic), though I think if you read the guide post and weighed the pros and cons, you would come to the same conclusion (unless you have a higher budget). GL HF.post #19497 of 3787212/29/13 at 8:48amQuote:Originally Posted by RainbowPee
Sorry to interrupt, but I have some leftover dollars in my pocket and I'm thinking of buying a noice set of headphones for gaming. I took a look at this thread and decided either the AD700X or the PC360 would suite my needs. Of course you can already tell what I'm going to ask next, but which is better? The AD700X has a great soundstage and all that snaz, but is uncomfortable for small headed people like me. While the PC360 has a wunderbar ID and a mic, which I don't have. I don't play FPS all day every day, as I mostly play strategy and RPG games (Skyrim only for the moment) and some Battlefield 4.
Get the Sennheiser HD558.post #19498 of 3787212/29/13 at 9:01amQuote:
Growing up I used a machine like this a couple times a week. Many people use it to train their neck for wrestling and such, I used it to train my neck for skiing. This machine is wonderful and it has improved my listening pleasure immensely, as I can wear pretty much any headphone on my head no matter how heavy and still find it comfortable. The Mad Dogs don't feel heavy in the slightest to me, in fact I can completely forget that they're on my head at times.
This is something every headphone aficionado should have in their home.
[disclaimer: this is partially a joke and partially truth]post #19499 of 3787212/29/13 at 9:37amThread Starter
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 38 seconds ago
- › IC - Empire Ears Zeus XIV-XR ADEL Universal with BTG Audio... 1 minute ago
- › Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true? 4 minutes ago
- › Accidental double post plz delete 4 minutes ago
- › New Sony PHA-2A portable DAC 5 minutes ago
- › Natural crossfeed on headphones / earphones for foobar2000 v2.1... 5 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 5 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 5 minutes ago
- › Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player 6 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 6 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5 by NCSUZoSo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by FortisFlyer75
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by twister6
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear