Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
A great purchase for under 180 pounds, these headphones blow the direct competition away when it comes to almost everything. They arrive in a nice premium package with a thick, high grade cable for...
A reasonably priced pair of premium Open back headphones. They are well made and super comfortable and have a luxurious appearance well suited to home hi fi use. Unlike other hi fidelity phones...
Disclaimer: Bhavneet from Burson Audio offered to send me the Cable+, with no return required, asking me only to post my honest evaluation of its performance when used with the Chromecast...
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1226post #18376 of 3788711/26/13 at 9:51am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #18377 of 3788711/26/13 at 10:37amQuote:Originally Posted by JeremyR
You can just leave everything plugged in, and use something like this:
Well that's pretty useful but I think it only works with USB headsets\headphones.
What if I used a DAC, will the source be my soundcard ?
Edited by Orion1991 - 11/26/13 at 10:39ampost #18378 of 3788711/26/13 at 10:44amQuote:
Right click on the speaker in your tray, and select playback devices. If you can switch the source manually from there, it will work. If not, it won't.post #18379 of 3788711/26/13 at 10:59amQuote:
Okay I am not sure exactly what you mean here...my question initially was if I connect my headphones to my speakers will the source be my sound card or the speakers, and will the sound differ ? the answer was yes, and those are old speakers so I am guessing its gonna make the sound worse.
Now is there an easier way instead of connecting this and that constantly and have both my speaker and headphone source from the sound card ?post #18380 of 3788711/26/13 at 11:12amQuote:
Not sure what you mean by "constantly". Are you looking for a way to have everything stay connected, and switch what audio device the sound comes out of easily, or are you looking for a way to hook everything up, so you can hook and unhook your headphones often without to much hassle?
to be honest, step one is to hook your headphones up to your speakers, and then your sound card directly, and see if you can tell a difference. If you can't, then just do what is the most convenient for you. If you don't have an amp in your sound card dedicated to headphones, I suspect they will sound the same.
Technically yes, the sound card directly is a better solution, but in practice, you most likely won't be able to tell a difference.
Edited by JeremyR - 11/26/13 at 11:14ampost #18381 of 3788711/26/13 at 11:34amQuote:You CANNOT use the AX720+ with an Xbox One, it does not currently output the needed DDL 5.1 signal out through optical to feed surround to the AX720+ box. To get surround out of an Xbox One, you either need something that accepts an HDMI connection or DTS Connect over optical, and right now the only available devices that can do either of those things are receivers.Originally Posted by jTizMLG
Surround sound is sort of a necessity for competitive gaming and the AX720+ is the cheapest that has that.
Also you can use it not only with the PC but with almost any console.
Another thing is that it lets you balance game/chat volume so you can get the perfect balance between the two, the other headsets you mentioned doesn't have that and I'm 100% sure your not going to like that for online gaming.....nobody does.
The AX720+ is also not the cheapest solution, consoles have the good Turtle Beach DSS available new for about $25-30 on eBay, and there are several surround processing USB sticks for PC.
All the gaming-marketing headphones are a poor value compared to the quality you can get with respected Normal headphones with a separate mic. Some of the Gaming marketed headphones sound decent (like Corsair or Razer), but they're just more expensive than same or better quality options from Sennheiser or Koss.
Edited by Evshrug - 11/26/13 at 11:39ampost #18382 of 3788711/26/13 at 12:34pmQuote:To get surround out of an Xbox One, you either need something that accepts an HDMI connection or DTS Connect over optical, and right now the only available devices that can do either of those things are receivers.
The 2013 Astro Mixamp Pro reports that it is compatible although it won't work for chat until they develop an adapter for the cable connection: see below (from their mouth)Quote:
XBOX ONE COMPATIBILITY
Our headsets will all deliver Dolby® Digital GAME AUDIO on the Xbox One, just like they do for the Xbox 360. However, the chat connector on the controller is now a proprietary connector, meaning that our current products will require an adapter to connect to the controller for Xbox Live voice chat. Fortunately, until this chat adapter is available, the built-in Kinect microphone will provide full voice communication access to Xbox Live while using ASTRO headsets on the Xbox One.post #18383 of 3788711/26/13 at 12:36pmpost #18384 of 3788711/26/13 at 12:36pm
Huh, I'm a little confused now on the cable bit. I'm looking at cables to replace the stock X1 cable, but I don't know what kind of cable i'm supposed to buy. I thought I would get something like this:
But do I need something like this instead?
I'm looking at the headphones and the input for the headphones on my Xonar ST and I can't see any connector that looks like the second one. Anyone mind throwing me a suggestion for a relatively cheap braided cable that I would need for the X1? Totally lost as to which kind of cable I need... I thought it was supposed to be a 3.5MM male Stereo to 3.5MM stereo male...
Edited by raif89 - 11/26/13 at 1:14pmpost #18385 of 3788711/26/13 at 3:47pmQuote:
For replacing the X1's cable, any 3.5mm male-to-male cable will work.
The monoprice "mobile" and mediabridge 3.5mm cables both work fine.
For any other cable questions, there's a whole thread for the X1 you can ask in:
As for the pads, I think the issue is a tad overblown as pads should last years and years if you take good care of the headphone (and don't use it when your all dirty/sweaty).Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by DCB305
The 2013 Astro Mixamp Pro reports that it is compatible although it won't work for chat until they develop an adapter for the cable connection: see below (from their mouth)
What Evs said above is right.
The Xbox One is CURRENTLY missing the Dolby Digital 5.1 output option, which is crucial for dolby headphone surround to function correctly.
Microsoft says that DD 5.1 ouput will be added back later in a system patch. Once that's back, THEN the mixamp will work properly. At the moment it's still "compatible" in that you will get sound from it, but it will only be the upscaled Dolby Pro logic, which is not the same as true Dolby headphone surround.
You will still need whatever chat adapter microsoft comes up with regardless.Quote:
I suppose so.
I think the X1 is a better value, especially when you get it at the ~220-240 price. At that price (two thirds the cost of the K712) your getting more sound for the money IMO. The K712s are great though, and they bring a bit smoother, richer, more refined, and more balanced sound. The X1 is a little more fun with some boomier bass emphasis and slightly more treble sparkle (although still warm).
It's a shame too see Philips repeatedly lose potential X1 sales due to lack of replaceable pads. I've seen it too many times here - enough that it's time for Philips to release a revised X1 (or X2) with removable replaceable pads. The X1 deserves that, as it's too good a headphone to be held back by such a small issue.
Edited by chicolom - 11/26/13 at 3:59pmpost #18386 of 3788711/26/13 at 6:45pm
hello. 2 years ago, with the help of this thread, i purchased the astro mixamp 5.8 tx alongside sennheiser pc360, so that i can soundwhore like a god in call of duty, in xbox 360.
well i am very satisfied. i can pinpoint where everyone is, very very accurately.
the reason i made this post, is that i cannot understand where someone is, if he is above or below me. i can understand all other directions, apart from above and below.
is this a limitation of the headset? a limitation of the mixamp? or both?
and if one of these has a limitation, can someone tell me some alternate to them?
when i purchased the mixamp, it was the best in the market... from what i read today, it still is. or am i wrong? thank youso much
ps1. from what i have searched there isnt afirmware upgrade for my mixamp right?
thank youpost #18387 of 3788711/26/13 at 7:02pmSony Slave and jTizMLG,
RE: Xbox One surround for headphones
Yeah, the Astro can make "fake it" surround from a stereo signal, but it's a lotta reverb and no actual positional accuracy. It needs a Dolby Digital live 5.1 surround signal, which is unavailable on Xbox One until a (yet undisclosed) later date. Hopefully soon right?
Edited by Evshrug - 11/26/13 at 9:29pmpost #18388 of 3788711/26/13 at 7:38pm
my friend why do you say it makes fake surround? i can accurately pinpoint where everyone is shooting from on the map, or where everuone is. i can distinquish between front , bacl, left, right, easily. and i mean EASILY. only thing i dont understand is if someone is above or below me. so why do you say astro mixamp doesnt have positional accuracy. and which mixamp would you suggest that combined with pc360, might solve my little problem? thanxpost #18389 of 3788711/26/13 at 7:42pmQuote:
Maybe a picture would be more helpful? The question I am asking is. Is my convoluted setup even getting me good sound quality?
Headset -> connected -> Turtle Beach DPX decoder box - > connected -> USB Audio Box -> connected -> Computer.
The reason the Audio Box exist is solely because my on board sound card does not have optical in.post #18390 of 3788711/26/13 at 7:50pmQuote:Quote:Originally Posted by BURNIN AMBITION
my friend why do you say it makes fake surround? i can accurately pinpoint where everyone is shooting from on the map, or where everuone is. i can distinquish between front , bacl, left, right, easily. and i mean EASILY. only thing i dont understand is if someone is above or below me. so why do you say astro mixamp doesnt have positional accuracy. and which mixamp would you suggest that combined with pc360, might solve my little problem? thanx
Burning Ambition, Evshrug's "fake" comment was referring to the prior discussion about Dolby Pro Logic. He wasn't talking about Dolby Headphone, which is what YOU are talking about.
As for height cues, I don't think there's anything you can do about it at the moment as the current surround sound DSPs available for Consoles don't really account for any height cues (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
Edited by chicolom - 11/26/13 at 7:51pm
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › grado sr80e 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Which headphones do you use for PC gaming? 1 minute ago
- › Fire sale, several amps 2 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 4 minutes ago
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia 5 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 5 minutes ago
- › Is there a meaningful limit to resolution? Optics analogy to Audio 6 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-7200 6 minutes ago
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear