- 16,397 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Disclaimer: The Noble Kaiser Encore sample was provided to me by Noble for the purposes of this review. The Noble K10 was my first Multi-BA earphone. While it might not be the as good as the...
For me the Encore shares the same sound signature as its predecessor Noble Kaiser K-10. There are already 31- K-10 reviews on H.F. including mine. Read what is written about the K-10, then think...
Sorry if my english is not so good. I bought this several days ago (200 euro) so I cannot post an opinion about durability. I use this dac/amp just on pc for everyday use: movies, voice,...
Greetings Head-fi, Today we are going to be checking out another HDSS equipped earphone from the team at Blue Ever Blue; the Model 1001. Based out of Washington, D.C., Blue Ever Blue (BeB) exploded...
Disclaimer I would like to give a special thanks to Pandora for having these sent out to me. I am not affiliated with Brainwavz in any way and this product was given in exchange for my honest...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 118post #1756 of 379626/26/11 at 11:32amThread StarterIf your soundcard is Dolby Headphone enabled, then yes, its all you need for 7.1 VIRTUAL surround, as long as the games you play have a Dolby Digital option.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1757 of 379626/26/11 at 11:55am
I thought your games only had to have 5.1/7.1 surround options, or is that synonymous with Dolby Digital?
Anyway, I'm now thinking of just going PC360 or HD598. They're the cheapest of my options, and I'm pretty sure that whatever I buy will blow me away after years of onboard sound and crappy cans. I'll try and get my hands on the HD598, somehow, before purcashing so I can test them and see what the fuss is about the supposedly weak bass. I'd go for the PC360 (which are just HD595s right?) but I've heard the HD598 has more bass and is in general a small but noticeable upgrade. Fact or Fiction?
I know they won't, or shouldn't, need amping out of a Xonar Essence ST but I really like to have a volume knob somewhere on my desk for on the fly volume adjusting so I'm looking into amps a bit. Apparently the Schiit Asgard has great synergy with the HD598, but it's a bit pricey (for me) at $250. Unless they're a great investment and would do well with other, better cans in the future (I have no illusions about the fact you people will ruin me before long)? Does the Mixamp sound good with the two cans I mentioned? I think I heard it mention it has Bass Boost? Any good? Or is the FiiO E9 a better choice at that pricepoint? Note: I'd just buy the E9, I have no need for a portable dac/amp. Also, does the E9 come with a cover of sorts to hide the E7 port? Any other suggestions?
Speaking of DACs, is it possible/worth it to go:
Xonar Essence ST -> S/PDIF -> DAC -> AMP -> Cans and still retain Dolby Headphone? Or is the Dolby Headphone magic only added during the digital to analog conversion process (I'm guessing no, but I'm curious)?post #1758 of 379626/26/11 at 12:29pmQuote:
But my old Logitech G35 wouls play all games with surround without the game having dolby headphone or digital support.post #1759 of 379626/26/11 at 12:41pmQuote:
It isnt the Dolby Headphone driver, if the game have the Dolby Digital codec, the 7.1 surround will work just fine. If you have an 7.1 HT, you will need the dolby digital codec, or the DTS, so 90% have this codec.
post #1760 of 379626/26/11 at 1:29pm
Ok, i'm a little confused here, do i need Dolby Digital IIz or Dolby headphone to be able to get 7.1 or better?
And is there anyway i can get Dolby Headphone or something like it when i connect the D7000 to my PS3?post #1761 of 379626/26/11 at 1:38pm
If you want simulated surround sound in your headphones you need DH (dolby headphone.) This is the ONLY thing that will give you surround sound. Only some devices have this. Astro mixamp, turtle beach dds, some sound cards and some receivers for home theaters.
You are confusing me wondering about 7.1 Anything DH can handle up to 7.1 but the xbox and the ps3 don't support 7.1 only 5.1. It's not hard to figure out,
Console/optical cable/mixamp or dds/ headphone. And you're done. You have the ultimate gaming setup.
The ps3 is the same as xbox you connect via optical cable.post #1762 of 379626/26/11 at 1:55pm
I wouldn't call dolby 5.1 or 7.1 or anything, its stereo, but with better positioning. Sound can come from any direction, not just 5 set spots. It works on every game I own too, including Minecraft, so I don't think games specificly need support for it. It can give better instrument seperation in music, but you take a hit in the sound quality.post #1763 of 379626/26/11 at 2:06pmThread StarterI wouldn't call it anything near stereo. The only time it sounds like an expanded stereo is if you don't have a Dolby Digital signal for these devices to process to Dolby Headphone. You NEED to make sure you're getting a DD signal, otherwise, you won't hear it properly. Games like Minecraft are just getting expanded stereo.
DH sounds like MORE than 7.1. There are absolutely no speaker cues. The sound is coming from all around you.post #1764 of 379626/26/11 at 2:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
I wouldn't call it anything near stereo. The only time it sounds like an expanded stereo is if you don't have a Dolby Digital signal for these devices to process to Dolby Headphone. You NEED to make sure you're getting a DD signal, otherwise, you won't hear it properly. Games like Minecraft are just getting expanded stereo.
DH sounds like MORE than 7.1. There are absolutely no speaker cues. The sound is coming from all around you.
Do i need an amp for the Dolby Digital or does my soundcard have it?
post #1765 of 379626/26/11 at 2:26pmThread Starterpost #1766 of 379626/26/11 at 3:01pmpost #1767 of 379626/26/11 at 3:21pmpost #1768 of 379626/27/11 at 11:53ampost #1769 of 379626/27/11 at 11:54am
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 8 seconds ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 27 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 28 seconds ago
- › Ranking the stars - Flinkenick's Flagship 16 IEM shootout 35 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 2 minutes ago
- › Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp 3 minutes ago
- › Is there a meaningful limit to resolution? Optics analogy to Audio 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by td2004
- › Blue Ever Blue Model 1001 by B9Scrambler
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › SONY digital audio player Walkman NW-WM1Z N (Gold) by Whitigir
- › iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp by Sil3nce
- › HRT - MicroStreamer - High Performance External USB Soundcard and... by Sil3nce
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Sil3nce
- › Chord MoJo by Sil3nce
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear