- 16,373 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Even at their current $89 price, I consider the Klipsch R6s an excellent value. They are fundamentally honest about what you put into them. Although they reveal a great deal about each recording,...
With my head laid back, eyes closed, and feet tapping to the beat, I can’t help but be thankful for some of the audio equipment that I have. Thankfully, Justin Weber, owner of Ampsandsound,...
Acknowledgment It’s always a privilege to check out new gear in exchange for your honest opinion. Thanks, iFi, for letting me in on this particular party. I’ve been borrowing this unit...
Introduction I have recently had the good fortune to review 1More’s excellent Triple Driver 1001 In Ear Monitors and their MK802 Bluetooth full-sized headphone and was left extremely impressed...
As the rabbit hole of summit-fi in-ear monitors gets deeper and deeper, I find myself encountering the same issues over and over. Most of the high end multiple armature driver in-ear monitors in...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 118post #1756 of 374006/26/11 at 11:32amThread StarterIf your soundcard is Dolby Headphone enabled, then yes, its all you need for 7.1 VIRTUAL surround, as long as the games you play have a Dolby Digital option.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1757 of 374006/26/11 at 11:55am
I thought your games only had to have 5.1/7.1 surround options, or is that synonymous with Dolby Digital?
Anyway, I'm now thinking of just going PC360 or HD598. They're the cheapest of my options, and I'm pretty sure that whatever I buy will blow me away after years of onboard sound and crappy cans. I'll try and get my hands on the HD598, somehow, before purcashing so I can test them and see what the fuss is about the supposedly weak bass. I'd go for the PC360 (which are just HD595s right?) but I've heard the HD598 has more bass and is in general a small but noticeable upgrade. Fact or Fiction?
I know they won't, or shouldn't, need amping out of a Xonar Essence ST but I really like to have a volume knob somewhere on my desk for on the fly volume adjusting so I'm looking into amps a bit. Apparently the Schiit Asgard has great synergy with the HD598, but it's a bit pricey (for me) at $250. Unless they're a great investment and would do well with other, better cans in the future (I have no illusions about the fact you people will ruin me before long)? Does the Mixamp sound good with the two cans I mentioned? I think I heard it mention it has Bass Boost? Any good? Or is the FiiO E9 a better choice at that pricepoint? Note: I'd just buy the E9, I have no need for a portable dac/amp. Also, does the E9 come with a cover of sorts to hide the E7 port? Any other suggestions?
Speaking of DACs, is it possible/worth it to go:
Xonar Essence ST -> S/PDIF -> DAC -> AMP -> Cans and still retain Dolby Headphone? Or is the Dolby Headphone magic only added during the digital to analog conversion process (I'm guessing no, but I'm curious)?post #1758 of 374006/26/11 at 12:29pmQuote:
But my old Logitech G35 wouls play all games with surround without the game having dolby headphone or digital support.post #1759 of 374006/26/11 at 12:41pmQuote:
It isnt the Dolby Headphone driver, if the game have the Dolby Digital codec, the 7.1 surround will work just fine. If you have an 7.1 HT, you will need the dolby digital codec, or the DTS, so 90% have this codec.
post #1760 of 374006/26/11 at 1:29pm
Ok, i'm a little confused here, do i need Dolby Digital IIz or Dolby headphone to be able to get 7.1 or better?
And is there anyway i can get Dolby Headphone or something like it when i connect the D7000 to my PS3?post #1761 of 374006/26/11 at 1:38pm
If you want simulated surround sound in your headphones you need DH (dolby headphone.) This is the ONLY thing that will give you surround sound. Only some devices have this. Astro mixamp, turtle beach dds, some sound cards and some receivers for home theaters.
You are confusing me wondering about 7.1 Anything DH can handle up to 7.1 but the xbox and the ps3 don't support 7.1 only 5.1. It's not hard to figure out,
Console/optical cable/mixamp or dds/ headphone. And you're done. You have the ultimate gaming setup.
The ps3 is the same as xbox you connect via optical cable.post #1762 of 374006/26/11 at 1:55pm
I wouldn't call dolby 5.1 or 7.1 or anything, its stereo, but with better positioning. Sound can come from any direction, not just 5 set spots. It works on every game I own too, including Minecraft, so I don't think games specificly need support for it. It can give better instrument seperation in music, but you take a hit in the sound quality.post #1763 of 374006/26/11 at 2:06pmThread StarterI wouldn't call it anything near stereo. The only time it sounds like an expanded stereo is if you don't have a Dolby Digital signal for these devices to process to Dolby Headphone. You NEED to make sure you're getting a DD signal, otherwise, you won't hear it properly. Games like Minecraft are just getting expanded stereo.
DH sounds like MORE than 7.1. There are absolutely no speaker cues. The sound is coming from all around you.post #1764 of 374006/26/11 at 2:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
I wouldn't call it anything near stereo. The only time it sounds like an expanded stereo is if you don't have a Dolby Digital signal for these devices to process to Dolby Headphone. You NEED to make sure you're getting a DD signal, otherwise, you won't hear it properly. Games like Minecraft are just getting expanded stereo.
DH sounds like MORE than 7.1. There are absolutely no speaker cues. The sound is coming from all around you.
Do i need an amp for the Dolby Digital or does my soundcard have it?
post #1765 of 374006/26/11 at 2:26pmThread Starterpost #1766 of 374006/26/11 at 3:01pmpost #1767 of 374006/26/11 at 3:21pmpost #1768 of 374006/27/11 at 11:53ampost #1769 of 374006/27/11 at 11:54am
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a new pair of headphones/System upgrade 1 minute ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★FAQ in 3rd post!★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 3 minutes ago
- › PRICE LOWERED Shozy Cygnus 3 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Mentor - 10 driver per ear CIEM with Hybrid Cable -... 3 minutes ago
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › iFi Audio iEMatch Headphone Travel Accessory by Hisoundfi
- › Soundaware Esther by ambchang
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Hisoundfi
- › HiFiMAN Edition S by Aornic
- › Accutone Taurus by mark2410
- › Remax RM 305M Aluminum Earbud by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear