Part of the clamping problem was that the ear pads didn't rotate enough to sit directly on my ears. One side of the pad was always pushing harder than the other and the pressure was unequally distributed. If it had sit level on my ears it wouldn't have been as bad.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Bought these bad boys on sale from Harman Audio. Very clear and balanced sound for the price range, I have also had some good Grado SR80i headphones that I gave to my brother but the AKG K550 has...
Introduction Based on the very successful Delta earphones previously, Brainwavz has come up with a second version of the Delta’s, now upgraded with Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity. As these are...
Introduction FiiO X5 3rd generation is the successor of the loved by many X5 2nd generation DAP from FiiO. I requested to be a part of the tour for X5 3rd gen because I really wanted to hear...
After spending over a week of daily listening to these ciems I can confidently say that I have made an excellent choice with these ciems. There is nothing that i can say that hasn't been already...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we'll be checking out a micro-driver that's been, for the most part, well-received around the forums. Their small size, low price, and sonic performance have made them a...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1120post #16786 of 383399/14/13 at 11:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #16787 of 383399/14/13 at 11:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Axel, if you want... I'm planning on loaning my X1 out to the peeps once I get the MA900 back. I may let them go to one of you guys for a little less since I'm gonna ship it out either way. You'd have to wait until Matt, Evs( if you're still interested in demoing a dark/warm headphone now that you've heard the K712), and calpis have had their runs with the MA900.
This ought to be an interesting experience...will the X1 succeed where the HE-400 didn't?
That, of course, being the midrange. I don't like it raspy. I can take it a bit recessed since EQ can fix that, but EQ can't get rid of rough texture that shouldn't be there.
Edited by NamelessPFG - 9/14/13 at 11:40pmpost #16788 of 383399/14/13 at 11:41pmThread StarterYou wanna test them out Nameless? Of course you're one to get the demo...
This is all assuming I haven't sold it.
How's the MA900 treating you? I miss mine, dearly.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 9/14/13 at 11:42pmpost #16789 of 383399/15/13 at 12:03am
BTW, I just picked up some HD650s to audition out of curiosity.
After trying them out last night, they're pretty decent, but they've mainly just reaffirmed my love of the K712s.
Comfort wise, I had kind of forgotten about dat' Sennheiser clamp. Granted this pair isn't that broken in, but still - it can be an issue. . I actually like the way it looks, and I like the lines and curves on Sennheisers full size headphones. I hear they chip paint off a lot though. The AKGs feel much loser and more flexible - I can twist and bend them around all over the place. On the HD650 the whole headphone feels very rigid and not very flexible at all, like a tight piece of plastic. The pads could stand to be a bit deeper. They're not as deep as on the PC360. I'm not a huge fan of how the headband padding fits me either. There's no padding at the very top of the head which feels a little weird. Sort of feels like the Audio Techinica wing system.
Sound wise, the HD650 signature is pretty good. Pretty balanced and with a clear a focus on the mids. That's the same thing I said for the MA900, and the HD650 signature is not too far from the MA900. The differences are the HD650 has more detail, more refinement, and a slightly more natural timbre.
Next to the X1, the HD650 sounds slightly more refined, more mid-rangey, and more intimate. They're also more boring (sorry :p). The HD650s are like a more buttoned-up version of the X1. The X1 is like a more open and fun-titled version of the HD650.
Next to the K712, it has less bass and less overall body. I hear some low bass roll off in the HD650, and the mid bass is weaker. The treble doesn't sound all that different between them. I don't notice a huge difference in air amounts. The lighter more midrangey signature makes the HD650 sound a little more "clear" in an immediate comparison (same as with the Q701), but I don't think they're necessarily more detailed. Mainly more forward and intimate with a mid-range focus. People always say the HD650 is great because it's nice and full sounding, but the K712 does all that better IMO. I still prefer the timbre on the K712. The K712 and HD650 take almost the same volume level on the amp, despite their different impedance.
As for the soundstage....it is on the intimate side :\ To be fair, MLE did warn me about it. The HD650's imaging is actually pretty good (especially given the room it has to work with). The problem is the soundstage itself feels very tightly compacted (at least for a full size open headphone). It sounds like someone is taking their hands and fighting to try and hold all the different sounds in tightly together. With the K712 it sounds like they give up and relax their hands to let the sounds spill out. When I switch to the K712 it almost sounds like someone flipped some 3-D soundstage effect ON. The placement feels much more relaxed and open. The Fidelio X1 also reaches out farther to the left and right than the HD650. Again, the imaging on the HD650 is pretty good, and you could use it for gaming. It just could use more room to work with, and I personally need more soundstage room in a full-size open-headphone like this in order to live with it.
What I like about the HD650 is it has a nice balanced signature with lovely mids and good detail. The intimacy makes the mids very easy to hear. If you love mids and don't mind intimacy, the HD650 can be great. Unfortunately that intimacy is a bit of a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't reach for these when I can get the same performance from the K712 but with a more spacious and open sound. I prefer several things on the K712: It has more body, better low bass, a more natural timbre (IMO), larger instruments AND a larger more open soundstage (yes, both at the same time), and is more comfortable.
MA900s give you a similar signature with a more open sound than the HD650 but with a bit less refinement, less detail, and a bit less natural timbre. I've read how some people prefer the HD650 to the HD800, but I know that wouldn't be me. The HD800 has a delicious soundstage, while the HD650 soundstage leaves a bit of a sour aftertaste in my mouth.
Edited by chicolom - 9/15/13 at 1:39ampost #16790 of 383399/15/13 at 12:11amThread StarterTold you, the MA900 is like a less refined, more open HD650. That's about as close to a comparison as I could give. Similar mid bass and sub bass roll off, intimate mids, and non-descript treble.
And I agree, it is a bit rigid, and the headband padding on top seems a bit awkward (I'd probably buy the headband padding if I owned the D7000), but I found them to be quite comfy overall. The HD650 is one of those headphones (like the MA900) that you can listen to without much if any fatigue. To me, the 650 is a special headphone. Nowadays, I wouldn't find a use for it, when the MA900 is more comfy, cheaper with a similar tonality, and more space, but if pure SQ is a concern, then yeah, I guess the MA900 would be moot when owning an HD650.
I think if the tonality is similar in the K712... that could make them quite a worthy headphone to own, though I personally had zero issues with the Annie, and I'd probably prefer the more intimate mids over the K712.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 9/15/13 at 12:13ampost #16791 of 383399/15/13 at 12:21am
Becareful of the headband on the HD650, the middle part where there is no padding especially. I've seen and heard a few HD650s getting a faint crack down the middle if not handled properly, it doesn't happen right away but it's collective damage that happens over time.post #16792 of 383399/15/13 at 12:26amMad how would u compare the x1 to the 990pro... i want something with a tad less but deeper bass n sone more mids
he 400 seen to maybe fit the bill also how is the x1 i want a slighty more balanced v shape.. but with 990 sound stage actually... i want a deeper sound stage a little less width for sone depth would b a fair trade imopost #16793 of 383399/15/13 at 12:28amQuote:
I wouldn't say the K712 and HD650 are that close. It'd be easier to EQ the X1 to sound like the HD650 and vice a versa than the K712 and HD650. Part of that is because the instruments are closer in size with the X1 and HD650 (both smaller than the K712) and the soundstage and imaging also behaves more similarly between those two (although with different size between them).
The K712 is a special headphone and is one of my all-time favorites.Quote:
Yeah, I've read about that.
This particular pair is in great shape and it will be sold before there's any chances of cracking/paint chipping happening.
Edited by chicolom - 9/15/13 at 12:30ampost #16794 of 383399/15/13 at 12:31amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Mshenay
Mad how would u compare the x1 to the 990pro... i want something with a tad less but deeper bass n sone more mids
he 400 seen to maybe fit the bill also how is the x1 i want a slighty more balanced v shape.. but with 990 sound stage actually... i want a deeper sound stage a little less width for sone depth would b a fair trade imo
I don't think the X1 is gonna satisfy you more than the 990 Pro in terms of deep bass, but it certainly has more mids, and less treble. Soundstage is similar, though the 990 will be wider.post #16795 of 383399/15/13 at 12:37amQuote:
i figured it was mid bass humpy... i just need a tung sol tube for my 990 add a touch of mids... still ill see how the he 400 is... grainy treble worries my a little though but we will cpost #16796 of 383399/15/13 at 1:01amThread StarterThe HE-400 isn't gonna have that mid bass thump that the 990s have, so be warned. the bass is well presented and incredibly linear, but it is NOT emphasized, so don't expect anything near basshead level performance. Just natural bass.post #16797 of 383399/15/13 at 1:23amQuote:
I'm looking forward to the X1 opportunity. Getting to audition more headphones never hurts!
As for the MA900, it's still working alright, though since I still own all my Stax equipment, it's still a secondary headphone. Competent, but I do notice the relative lack of clarity, and that's what ultimately draws me back.
If it's like an HD650 with less overall sound quality and more soundstage...hmmm, I wonder just how much I'd actually like the HD650, especially in comparison to the MA900 itself. Too small of a soundstage can be a big turn-off, even if the sound signature itself is in line with my tastes. (That's where the Uptown certainly suffers; they talked up the soundstage for a closed headphone, but the width was decent at best, and the depth just didn't exist. Does a great job of isolation and making music enjoyable to listen to, though.)post #16798 of 383399/15/13 at 1:28amThread Starterpost #16799 of 383399/15/13 at 2:01amThread StarterWell, next to the MA900, the 650's soundstage is gonna leave you disappointed. The mids, organic tone, and body of the 650 are what makes it special to me. The LCD2 further improves on everything I love about the HD650, other than it also being somewhat walled in terms of soundstage.
Sorry guys, the X1 just sold, so no demo.
At least now I can pay off my brother...
Looks like I'll be full sized headphone-less for about a month.
Don't worry about me, guys. Enjoy the MA900s. We'll see if impulses don't kick in and I find myself buying something else in the meantime.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 9/15/13 at 2:17ampost #16800 of 383399/15/13 at 3:08am
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Hifiman Edition X 1 minute ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread 2 minutes ago
- › MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for round Earpads with a diameter of 80mm and a thickness >... 3 minutes ago
- › SoCal TOTL Electrostatic Festival at The Source AV, Sat Feb 25 11-6 4 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 4 minutes ago
- › iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a... 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 5 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear