- 5,097 Posts. Joined 3/2009
- Location: Pittsburgh, PA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
Company 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears) is a well-known maker of top-level multidriver IEMs. They are offering a big range of models, but the most attractive feature of their earphones is APEX...
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1099post #16471 of 379109/5/13 at 4:27pmThank goodness there isn't a smattering of gorgeous pictures populating the thread to seduce me. Well... Chico posted a few.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #16472 of 379109/5/13 at 4:28pmpost #16473 of 379109/5/13 at 4:33pmQuote:
I'll just let Mad review them for ya when I get mine...post #16474 of 379109/5/13 at 4:38pmpost #16475 of 379109/5/13 at 4:41pm
Ugh, why did AKG have to make so many rehashes of the same thing? T_T
K 701 (8-bump)
K 702 65th Anniversary Edition
What's next, the K 777 77th Anniversary Edition, 77 ohms with a new revolutionary 77 pm diaphragm for €777.77 and only 77 are made?
Edited by miceblue - 9/5/13 at 4:48pmpost #16476 of 379109/5/13 at 4:44pmpost #16477 of 379109/5/13 at 6:40pmI think part of why we see rehashes is because they're already quite good, and as a brand they have a reputation to continue. If people are using them in the music industry for monitoring mixes (actually possible compared to some other "studio" headphones), then they actually have to be able to predict what sound they get and how to master the tracks.
I could go for a 250 ohm AKG.post #16478 of 379109/5/13 at 7:29pmQuote:That's still quite expensive for a dynamic set, and one that demands powerful amplification to boot...
I can only hope it's worth it.post #16479 of 379109/5/13 at 7:36pmThread Starterpost #16480 of 379109/5/13 at 9:37pmQuote:You mean like... A Sennheiser HD800 killer?
*scratches chin strap*
I mean, consider the quality jump from the HD650 to the 800 in the areas of soundstage and "unveiled," while not having fatiguingly bright treble (well, it is for some, but FWIR I surmise (guess) that it is less so than, say, the DT990. Imagine if AKG made a similar price-no-object headphone with similar gains in soundstage and transparency quality...
Which reminds me, what I SHOULD do instead of buying another headphone, find someone willing to trade or loan a DT880. I've wanted the exotic AKG for longer than I've been curious about the Beyerdynamics, but it's still on my audio shortlist as unheard. The one guy living nearby who offered to meet & share disappeared. Can't be more treble-fatiguing than the AD700, right? Anyone care to share impressions?
Edited by Evshrug - 9/5/13 at 9:41pmpost #16481 of 379109/5/13 at 11:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by 0verlord
It looks like the PC 360s are $170 on Amazon. I would need a sound card to go with them. I currently do not own any high quality headphones or headsets, just a few cheap communications headsets. This would be a first for me. Is this worth jumping on or should I look for something in the $100 range?
Wow... those PC360s are $100 cheaper than what they are here in Canada. Too bad Sennheisers clamp too hard on my big head. I ended up hacking together my own gaming headset.
Argh... still too new to properly insert images.
EDIT: yay, I can insert image links now.
ATH-AD700 + 3.5mm female jack + 3.5mm male plug + soldering iron + V-Moda BoomPro Microphone = ~$150 convertible gaming headset (with inline mute & volume control) that can also be used to chat on my smartphone. :D I was initially looking at the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headset Gear for the mod but the $100 price tag really turned me off. Then my local headphonebar got some V-Moda BoomPros in for $33 so I jumped on it and did the mod right away. It's not the greatest boom mic because I find the boom a tad short and it's a tiny bit loose in the 3.5mm jack, but for $33+tax, I can't really complain, especially since it comes with that nifty adapter that allows you to use it on smartphone as well as a standard headphone+mic port on a computer.Quote:
Ah, I didn't really notice that they were angled because the stiffer spring foam really turned me off of them.
Edited by AvroArrow - 9/9/13 at 4:49pmpost #16482 of 379109/5/13 at 11:25pmThread StarterI really wish the MA900 had a removable cable...
MA900 + V-moda boompro = all the headset anyone would ever need.
Hmm... I'm interested in the HD239 and/or PX100-II for away use.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 9/5/13 at 11:35pmpost #16483 of 379109/5/13 at 11:42pm
I shipped my iCan off for replacement. I already really miss the 3D holographic switch. Music just sounds flat without it.
I picked up a simple little outlet ON/OF switch at the store to use with the next one, so I don't have to yank the cord out every time. I'm paranoid that that could have messed it up somehow.
Edited by chicolom - 9/5/13 at 11:44pmpost #16484 of 379109/6/13 at 12:29ampost #16485 of 379109/6/13 at 12:43am
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Getting AKG K701s repaired 2 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 19 seconds ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 1 minute ago
- › Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › What can I use to replace headphone's mesh? 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 2 minutes ago
- › Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing) 5 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Looking for a good Closed Back 6 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear