Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Preamble: I have already reviewed some of 1MORE’s and Xiaomi’s audio products in the past and all of them offered a great sound experience for their very reasonable price point. The...
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1081post #16201 of 374638/30/13 at 2:07am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #16202 of 374638/30/13 at 2:08amThread StarterHmm... it's worth checking, though it looks more dense than the legit 990 pads. For the MA900, the less dense, the better the chance that the sound won't get screwed up.
None of you with 880s/990s? Man.post #16203 of 374638/30/13 at 2:10am
Reading over the past 15 pages made me forget that I really wanted to build a new computer XD
I'll get back to you tomorrow, I have some vintage beyers (need to find them) that might work. Not sure about the conditions of the pads though.
Edited by calpis - 8/30/13 at 2:15ampost #16204 of 374638/30/13 at 2:17amThread StarterAs for the loans, I do realize two of you have Annies/Q701, so I'm SAYING if you really want to demo the MA900 bear in mind that they're not on the same level as the AKGs. Think of these as the cheaper alternative to the 70x/Annie/HD6x0 with more comfort and less demand for amping.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/30/13 at 2:21ampost #16205 of 374638/30/13 at 10:05am
Which one would you choose? The Astro a40 2013 @ $150 (headset only) or the Creative Aurvana Live + Antlion Modmic @ $90... I'm looking for something good all around for music/competitive gaming. I listen to rap mainly, but I occasionally listen to other genres.I currently have the 2011 Astro mixamp as well. Also, I was wondering, for those that own the modmic, how is the sound quality on xbl in comparison to the original $20 wired ms headset or the astros?post #16206 of 374638/30/13 at 10:58amI already tried the K240 MKII's pleather and velour pads, doesn't help the sound, makes the bass overkill and muddies up the sound, can't see the K242 pads being much different. Only pads I know of I see likely being good for the MA900 are the DT880/990 pads.
Edited by kman1211 - 8/30/13 at 11:04ampost #16207 of 374638/30/13 at 11:00ampost #16208 of 374638/30/13 at 12:05pmQuote:
Since the HD558 is still mostly my main headphone for music and games, what I can tell you in terms of immersiveness is that it isn't actually all that good in this department. Not horrible mind you, but because the HD558 doesn't really extend that deep in bass, there's really not much immersiveness factor here.
So if you're to watch movies, the HD558's mids might be too forward (clean though!) and overpowering all the low-end details. The HD598 is even more bass shy than the HD558, but has a slightly more refined sound overall. The AD700? Well, it has zero bass so yeah...
The HD558 is another one of those decent all-rounders that doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but doesn't fail in anything either. The bass is what I would say, adequate for gaming and movies... but certainly, not immersive enough.
Reason I've stuck with it is because I love angled drivers and I've always liked the clamp on Sennheiser headphones, comfort basically.post #16209 of 374638/30/13 at 12:42pmQuote:
AKG K240/K242HD headphones use an ear pad that is slightly larger then the ear pads on the Beyer DT770/DT880/DT990 headphones.post #16210 of 374638/30/13 at 2:47pm
I've been playing with the V-Moda M-80 the past couple days. I picked up Bioshock Infinite since it's now available on Mac and I've given the M-80 several hours of head time. I've also played a little Borderlands 2, mainly to test out the V-Moda BoomPro mic cable in multiplayer.
For staters, I really enjoy the M-80 as a portable headset. Get that out of the way right up front. They sound great both directly off the Macbook Pro as well as through my Recon 3D USB. The BoomPro cable, from what my teammates have said, is clear and crisp without any noticeable major delays in voice chat. Voice quality is on par with my Modmic v1, and it's easier to use since the Macbook has a TRRS connection so there's no need for an adapter like I use with the Modmic. Granted that advantage is missing as soon as another device comes into the mix, such as my Recon 3D or my Aune T1 amp. But at least V-Moda was kind enough to include a Y-adapter for just such a situation. It does an excellent job splitting the signals for my Recon 3D when using it as an amp/DSP. Another reason why I think they're excellent portables is the build quality and the included hard shell case for transportation. These things are built like the tanks of the headphone world. I foresee these going everywhere with me when I'm traveling as they don't require any additional hardware, when gaming in stereo of course.
Now for home gaming use, they would not be my first pick. When I weighed them against both my Mad Dogs (3.1 rev) and my AKG Q701 they left me wanting in different areas. Next to both headphones, the M-80 lacked depth. Not surprising considering it's up against full sized around ear headphones. The soundstage was about the same for both the M-80 and the Mad Dogs. Next to the MDs, I find that I lose some of the immersion and overall feel of the game audio. But that's not necessarily a full negative, as the M-80 does an excellent job of bringing forward the voice work and sets it apart from the ambiance. Elizabeth's voice was more focused towards me than with the Mad Dogs. Both are considered relatively neutral headphones with a slight warmth to the body. Would I want to use the Mad Dogs directly off my Macbook or even the Recon 3D? No, not really. There's a serious lack of power there which causes them to miss a lot of the presentation. So I would want to have a nice desktop amp behind them powering the Mad Dogs properly. I feel like I can't compare my Q701s with the M-80s properly yet, as I've been focusing more on comparing 2 closed headphones so they'd be on a more even playing field. Adding an amp to the M-80s doesn't help much at all, from what I noticed. Sure you get minor improvements here and there but overall it's a very efficient headphone and was designed to be able to run directly off an MP3 or CD player. One last quick note for home, I also have not yet tried them with my Mixamp 5.8. I'm not a huge console gamer. I primarily play on my computer either in OS X or Win8.
Music wise, I didn't give them a whole lot of time A/Bing with my other headphones. But they handled almost every genre I threw at them and reproduced wonderful sounds. I say almost, as my ska music wasn't as energetic as I'm use to hearing. But the M-80s seem to lack sparkle. And that makes sense, as they're a more mid and bass centric design. They don't focus on the upper range as much, so some of the brass comes off as flat when I listen. This could also be due in part to the recordings themselves. But again, not a whole lot of music time with them.
These impressions are from 2 days of experience with the M-80s. Not a long time I know so these are relatively early impressions still. Hopefully my stream of consciousness writing didn't lose anyone too often along the way.post #16211 of 374638/30/13 at 5:16pmpost #16212 of 374638/30/13 at 5:43pm
Mad, I really hope Dan sends you a pair of Alpha Dogs to review. I may wait until after then to determine if I will buy the K712 or just upgrade my MDs to the Alphas with the money I get after selling the Anniversary. If the soundstage on the Alphas score around a 9 then that will be the route I take.post #16213 of 374638/30/13 at 5:57pmQuote:
Thanks for the impressions. Makes perfect sense to me.
Also, feel free to hop in here:post #16214 of 374638/30/13 at 9:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Change is Good
Mad, I really hope Dan sends you a pair of Alpha Dogs to review. I may wait until after then to determine if I will buy the K712 or just upgrade my MDs to the Alphas with the money I get after selling the Anniversary. If the soundstage on the Alphas score around a 9 then that will be the route I take.
If that was aimed at me, I won't be. If it was aimed at MLE, he's on the list Dan (Mr. Speakers) created for the tour. I'm hoping MLE draws an early lot in the chain. You know, so I have less time to think about it. :p I only post occasionally even though I'm reading the forums multiple times a day. One of Dan's requirements was 1000+ post count. I'm not anywhere near that.post #16215 of 374638/30/13 at 9:59pmThread StarterMy problem is that I dont have a legitimate amp to power them well. Anyone wanna lend me a desktop amp for September? Lol.
I don't see myself buying any for now.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page... 35 seconds ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 1 minute ago
- › Headphones that block out most sound 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 (2nd Generation) vs. Sennheiser HD 598 Cs... 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear