I am drooling at the size of those cups! So is this your neutral balanced can you were searching for?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
There seems to be a lot of issues with the sound quality for these 2nd gen Bose phones. These came out before wireless headphones were in any significant use, and when few other companies were...
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 1058post #15856 of 374538/16/13 at 7:54pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #15857 of 374538/16/13 at 8:17pmThread StarterTo be honest with you, they really sound like something Sennheiser would put out, not Sony. I'd say they're on par with say, the HD558/598, but even more open. They're just good headphones for the money. What sets them apart is that ridiculous comfort level, openness, and weight. I'm inclined to say these will be my pair when the X1 bass fatigue starts kicking in.
I've also been finding the X1 clamping a little bit. It's either that, or the fact that I'm sick and just a little clamp is bothering me.
These wouldn't replace the Annies for me (if I still owned them), but I do prefer them over everything else for comfort. There is literally zero issues with comfort. Absolutely no heat build up, no neck problems, nothing. Well, if there is ONE thing, the cloth pads may get itchy for some. Hasn't on me, but I did hear about it.
Due to this comfort, this makes a better alternative for the X1 than anything else.post #15858 of 374538/16/13 at 8:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
I'm in love.
Comfort is a PERFECT 10. No lie. These are the most comfortable full sized headphone I have ever worn. They are also the most open in both sound and design. They are also the LIGHTEST full sized headphone I've worn in awhile. (195g)
Bought them for $178.
First impressions: Think middleground between Q701 and K702 Annie. Not as refined as either, but less fatiguing than the Q701 (no upper mid glare) with more bass, and not as full/warm as the Annie.
The bass is definitely not as rich as the X1's, but the mids are better. The MA900 is definitely more linear sounding than the X1. The X1 is more lively and energetic, as well as more refined.
The MA900 is a really well balanced, very open/spacious, and ultimate in comfort headphone.
I'm particularly surprised by how good the bass is despite having absolutely no seal whatsoever.
Apparently the MA900 and F1 both have impedance compensators:
So this is good news for those with higher output impedance amps like the E9.
Nowhere near the best at any one thing compared to all I have heard, but for the price, these are just no brainer, solid all-rounders. Comfort king, easy to drive, well balanced, and very spacious.
Damn. DAMN. MAD!
The appeal from your description is amazing. Edit: It seems like you like every "next" headphone better than the last one. Yeah, after kinda missing the lightweight of my AD700's, and after experiencing the rare bit of glare on the Q801 if not amped with my tube amp... Definitely elaborate on soundstage, please?
They aren't exactly gorgeous to look at though, are they? Somewhere between plain, and exaggerated oversized (where the q701 look big but at least balanced aesthetically, these Sony's look downright dork, and not in a "proud of it" purple like another headphone I could mention.)
Edited by Evshrug - 8/16/13 at 8:25pmpost #15859 of 374538/16/13 at 8:41pmThread StarterWell, I wouldn't say they're better than anything I've recently reviewed. But they're really solid all rounders for the price, and the comfort kills all else.
I'm still not comfortable explaining stereo soundstage. All I know is that it's incredibly open/spacious. I wonder how it will sound with virtual surround.
Yes, they're pretty plain and basic looking. But they're not gaudy or anything. I guess the plastic keeps the weight down...post #15860 of 374538/16/13 at 9:00pm
Ah so you got them, such great all-rounders. To me they sound like a mixture of the HD 600 and Q701, just a little less refined, a bit of a hybrid sound of AKG and Senn to me. They are built of plastic and metal, the arms, yokes, and grills are a magnesium alloy. They are great with virtual surround.
Edited by kman1211 - 8/16/13 at 9:02pmpost #15861 of 374538/16/13 at 9:52pmQuote:
Sweet! I had a feeling you had gotten a pair of these and were waiting for them to come in.
While I think I have a pretty good idea of the signature, anything you can detail about the soundstage would be great. I keep seeing mixed opinions on it, especially regarding the imaging. Some people say it's too spread out and foggy, while others say it's sharp. Also, how deep are the earcups on them, and how much do the pads compress? It's kind of hard to tell from pictures.
By complete coincidence I just snagged a pair of them myself today from that cheap ebay listing that's up. I've been curious about them for a long time about them, and that price was enough to finally convince me to bite on them. I'll say up front that I'm pretty much getting them solely to audition the soundstage on them. Since I'm such a soundstage whore, if it turns out to be great in that area, I may keep them. If not though, I can't really see myself keeping them since I don't expect them to be able to compete with the Anniversaries or X1s. I'll have to see if the sig is nice, of course. Also, I have a feeling the comfort will not be a 10 for me because my ears will probably touch the drivers, and it might even turn out to be a deal breaker. Anyways, they won't be hear until sometime next week though, so I won't steal any of your thunder. Please proceed...post #15862 of 374538/16/13 at 11:01pmThread StarterThe pads are quite thin but soft and not problematic at all. My ears just BARELY touch the driver padding, and I don't see it ever being a problem. It's too soft, too light to be anything less than extremely comfy. Definitely no ear crushing here. the pads compress easily if you force them to, but the headphones have very little clamping force and are so light, so they won' truly compress all the way. The cups aren't deep at all in the front, but the back is QUITE deep, with the space left where the opening is as well. There is a space in there where you may be able to add cotton to the underside and raise the pads if you want.
I've never been one to truly gauge soundstage off a stereo signal. I can only really comment on soundstage once I get to gaming. Like I said, based off what I've heard so far (not much), it is very spacious and open, so I'm sure you'll love the soundstage. Time will tell if it's positional cues are diffused sounding or focused... treble isn't exactly sharp so I'm leaning on probably just a hint diffused.
They don't compare to the Annies or X1, but as a super comfy alternative, with a non fatiguing signature, and super open sound, I think they're great. For you though, I don't see how they can fit with what you already own. You're pretty set with those two, IMHO. These would be very situational for you, I'd say.
As a fan of the Q701, I think the tonal balance will feel close to home here, with less upper mids, and smoother sound. Can't say if it's fuller sounding overall though. The bass is pretty well presented here.
OH YEAH, despite what pictures may say, the cups are actually NOT that big. The AKGs AND the X1 cups are both considerably bigger. Crazy, 70mm drivers with standard sized cups. It just looks huge because the headband and arms are so thin.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/16/13 at 11:03pmpost #15863 of 374538/17/13 at 12:11ampost #15864 of 374538/17/13 at 1:21amThread StarterIt's not a bassy headphone by any means. It does bass like the Q701. It rolls off early, truth be told, but it's well balanced and definitely present.
Good thing I have the E12. That bass boost really brings these to life.
Depending on how good they are for gaming, these will probably be my TV show/anime watching headphones due to their comfort and more upfront mids than the X1. Other than that, X1 will take priority for most things.
Anyone with Q701/Annies don't really need to test these out, I'd say. It's definitely not on the same level. Get it if you want something super light and comfy, easy to drive, open, and non-fatiguing.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/17/13 at 1:45ampost #15865 of 374538/17/13 at 1:55am
I've been interested in purchasing Sennheiser PC 360's, from what I've searched has been getting consistent love (albeit heavily weighted by price) but it seems to fit my bill of having a great FPS soundstage, while maintaining build quality and pretty decent mic quality. Would I need an amp or something to drive this headset? I have a Astro Mixamp and don't know if that would be sufficient, or if I'm even better off doing on-board audio.
Also, any feedback on the Sennheiser PC 350 SEs and PC 363D, I've heard they improved on the bass on atleast the 350SEs but don't know how reliable feedback has been on either of these doofy USB soundcard gimmicks aside.
Thankspost #15866 of 374538/17/13 at 2:16amThread Starterpost #15867 of 374538/17/13 at 2:25ampost #15868 of 374538/17/13 at 2:51amThread Starterpost #15869 of 374538/17/13 at 3:45ampost #15870 of 374538/17/13 at 4:51amThread Starter
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Vape-Fi 24 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › 2017 UK Head-Fi Meet (April 2nd @ Milton Keynes) 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › ORIOLUS HYBRID IEM (MKI) - price reduced! 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › DAPs that play Apple M4A files? 3 minutes ago
- › Looking to upgrade my amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄ ★☆ 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear