He is curiouslustenvy.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 955
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #14312 of 374416/14/13 at 2:50pmQuote:
I tried it at a local store the other day for about an hour. Definitely not enough time to come to any conclusions, but it was long enough for me to know there's no room or want in my journey for a pretty colored basshead can. I'm sure it's going to be something people consider to be "end game" material who want a bass heavy signature and could be the last in their line before hitting the diminishing returns factor. I'm just not the target for that signature.post #14313 of 374416/14/13 at 2:52pmpost #14314 of 374416/14/13 at 2:58pm
You would get a much more educated answer from Chico than you would ever get from me since he has experience with both. Maybe he'll chime in here, but my initial feeling is, absolutely not.
Edited by roguegeek - 6/14/13 at 4:19pmpost #14315 of 374416/14/13 at 3:12pmpost #14316 of 374416/14/13 at 3:13pmpost #14317 of 374416/14/13 at 4:19pmpost #14318 of 374416/14/13 at 5:08pmpost #14319 of 374416/14/13 at 7:22pmThread StarterQuote:
That's how I feel as well. Two different kinds of awesome. The Annie is more balanced, the X1 is more fun. Both have their place, and both are special to me.
For most of my main music genres (which tend to rely on bass), the X1 is more ideal.
It's really apples vs oranges.
If you love the DT990 and want a natural evolution of those (meaning more refinement, more realistic, and considerably less treble fatigue aka way less bright), the X1 is what you want.
Also, the X1 goes lower/deeper, while the 990 is more mid bassy. I prefer lower/deeper bass (more rumble, less bass headaches).
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/14/13 at 7:28pmpost #14320 of 374416/14/13 at 8:19pmMan, making it harder to decide each day. Looking for a great open compliment to the MD's. I wanted the open one to also double for gaming. Was set on the Annie, just waiting until after the Los Angeles meet. But now the X1 might be a contender... Le sigh.post #14321 of 374416/14/13 at 8:47pmThread StarterThat's a hard choice, and they are in the same price range.
While the X1 is leaning towards fun, it is actually (and IMHO undoubtedly) tonally neutral. It may be bottom heavy, but it is quite linear, with a slight tip up in the treble.
The Annie is tonally warm, and more balanced, with stellar mids, and smooth, non fatiguing treble.
I think those who have the Mad Dogs should decide if they want something open with the similar types of strengths (Annie), or something different and complimentary (X1).
Also, those wjo like the HE400 would also like the X1. It again wins in the treble region which is a weakness on the HE400 (overly emphasized). Lower mids are better on the HE400 (among the best in male vocals), and upper mids are a win for the X1 (too recessed on the HE400). Bass is all HE400 in that it is evenly full from sub bass to mid bass, but it's not as fun injected as the X1 which is emphasized/colored, so bassheads may prefer the X1 more.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/14/13 at 9:04pmpost #14322 of 374416/14/13 at 9:53pmI gave up on deciding if something sounded neutral XD
Balanced is easy enough to get a feel for, but sometimes you don't care if something is out of balance.
I want Creative to make Mac drivers for their internal sound cards :,( Me wants a Soundblaster Z, but I don't want to have to open my computer and remove the card every time I want to boot into Mac instead of Windows.
P.S. did I mention, I jumped on the BF3 sale too, and grabbed Tomb Raider while I was at it? Wanna give my GTX 660 something to impress me with now that I've beaten some old Star Wars games
P.P.S, and way off topic... Does anyone have experience driving stick-shift cars?post #14323 of 374416/14/13 at 10:03pmQuote:
That "someone else" is right here, you know...and I can personally attest to the Recon3D USB in question not being broken or anything. (Well, there was a lead weight slab rattling around in there because the screw stud keeping it in place snapped, but it was 100% functional, no PCB damage or anything.) It might just need a driver/firmware update for all I know, but the February 2013 drivers didn't change much, if anything.
Anyway, time to put BF3's audio to the test...very first impressions are that while the positioning still sounds strangely "off" at times, it's still far, FAR better than Bad Company 2's positioning ever was, so DICE actually did get their act together. And there's one more trick they did that I'm not sure HOW they pulled it off given the way XAudio2 works, but...the helicopters in the first real singleplayer mission after you exit the APC...they legitimately sounded ABOVE my head.
My prior statements on BF3 were based on extrapolations from BF:BC2's audio performance (they're both Frostbite engine-based, after all), which may very well be incorrect in retrospect. This is why I need more hands-on experience with things, but I just wasn't willing to spend more than $5 on BF3 after having lost faith in DICE's ability to make a good Battlefield game.post #14324 of 374416/14/13 at 11:05pmThread StarterEvs, I mean neutral in tonality. I find the Q701 to be pretty close to neutral in tonality too. The Annie is definitely warm.
So I compared Sleeping Dogs on PS3 via DH vs on PC via THX Tru Studio. I am definitely still for DH in terms of the surround effect, and rear cues.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/14/13 at 11:06pmpost #14325 of 374416/15/13 at 12:14am
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread 9 seconds ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 1 minute ago
- › Anything happening in North or South Carolina? 2 minutes ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › Good $30-$40 DAC and/or DAC/amps for music listening? 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 4 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 5 minutes ago
- › B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear