- 16,413 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 941post #14101 of 382936/7/13 at 10:56amThread StarterI like it's sound signature for music, it's wireless... for $45... it's a no brainer to me. Not sure it'd get much use with what you already own being around.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #14102 of 382936/7/13 at 11:09amQuote:
That's what I'm worried about too, but I don't have anything for console gaming. That's also because there's no need yet, but I'm sure in 3 months when the girlfriend and I are living together entirely, it's going to be a necessity... unfortunately. I think I'll grab them and put them away for the time being. The risk is low enough, I suppose. If it doesn't work out, some will get a great deal on them.post #14103 of 382936/7/13 at 11:26ampost #14104 of 382936/7/13 at 11:31amThread StarterSo I guess I got THx Tru Studio working. I guess I'm just too used to Dolby headphone, because THx TS just isn't the same. Ah well.
What sucks is that even though my laptop has an optical out, I can't get it to do anything but 2 channels, even if it supports Dolby Digital. Makes no sense. Was hoping to at least get the PLYR 1 to work properly on it.post #14105 of 382936/7/13 at 11:54am
yes sorry, i'm a complete newbie to hifi.
But i wanted to skip the entry level headphones and bought the Annies straight away (they weren't so expensive at 370 $ with exchange rate to €, in Austria they cost about 750$) so i wouldn't have to upgrade soon (or ever).post #14106 of 382936/7/13 at 12:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by roguegeek
I have a 75% discount on Skullcandy items today. Was thinking about getting the PLYR1 since it's only $45. I know you generally liked it, MLE. I'm hesitant since it's closed and wireless, but what do you guys think? Worth it to just try? Beyond gaming, does Skullcandy make anything worth trying with this discount?
What is the code? Or is it a one time use only? I have a pair of PLYR 2's I got for half off long ago and they are awesome for late night TV watching. I would def. pick up another pair if they are on sale again.
Erikpost #14107 of 382936/7/13 at 12:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
So I guess I got THx Tru Studio working. I guess I'm just too used to Dolby headphone, because THx TS just isn't the same. Ah well.
What sucks is that even though my laptop has an optical out, I can't get it to do anything but 2 channels, even if it supports Dolby Digital. Makes no sense. Was hoping to at least get the PLYR 1 to work properly on it.
That makes absolutely no sense. The entire point of optical is to carry more than two channels. There has to be a way to address that. Driver issues is the first thing I'm thinking.post #14108 of 382936/7/13 at 12:31pmQuote:
It's a company thing not available to the public. Otherwise, I would have been posting it all over the deals thread.post #14109 of 382936/7/13 at 3:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by minion1990
so, today i got my annies and i've got a question.
everybody wrote they are extremely hard to drive, and so out of curiosity i plugged them into my Galaxy sII and they are pretty loud. (I'm going to buy a essence stx or an xonar phoebus for my pc).
Is this normal or did i get a fake?
For a good while I used only a lowly FiiO E5 to amp my Q701 ($20 amp, basically just volume control on the line-out from my iPod). And it was still great, gave me more chills than I'd had in a long time. Thing was, the perception of depth, or distance, seemed to be better fleshed out, the acuteness improved with quick note decay, and more dynamic when I played Xbox hooked up to my AV receiver and Q701s. When I went back to the E5, it seemed flat by contrast. Sometimes I still may plug my Q's straight into my iPod Video for the sake of simplicity and slipping it into my pocket while doing house chores, but I'll go out of my way to use a nice amp, and I always use an amp these days while gaming in headphone surround. So you can get by without a headphone amp, but it's a step up to use a nice amp with nice headphones.
The Koss KSC75, on the other hand, I just plug that straight into my DSS.Quote:Actually the entire point is to carry a digital signal really fast... and even so, the cable doesn't have enough bandwidth to send 6 channels (5.1) of audio at once unless you compress it using DDL or the DTS equivalent.
I saw a code to get V-MODA's at a great discount through my new employer, but I don't have an employee email yet. Think I could also get Momentums that we carry in the store, or other Sennheisers. I'm saving for a car first though, been wanting one for a few years (like every time I have to drop a few thousand on repairs).post #14110 of 382936/7/13 at 6:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Evshrug
I saw a code to get V-MODA's at a great discount through my new employer, but I don't have an employee email yet. Think I could also get Momentums that we carry in the store, or other Sennheisers. I'm saving for a car first though, been wanting one for a few years (like every time I have to drop a few thousand on repairs).
Man how I wish my employer got that discount. Alas, telecommunications is not retail, so we certainly don't qualify.post #14111 of 382936/7/13 at 11:26pmThread Starterpost #14112 of 382936/8/13 at 3:04amQuote:That's why I'll be gaming mostly, possibly exclusively on PC because of DRM, used game fees, etc. because games are so much cheaper, plus you get better performance to boot.
Edited by HiFiGamer1995 - 6/8/13 at 3:07ampost #14113 of 382936/8/13 at 3:14ampost #14114 of 382936/8/13 at 3:54ampost #14115 of 382936/8/13 at 4:50amThread StarterThe U7 uses Dolby Home Theater V4, which I hear is inferior to Dolby headphone. I'd personally go with whatever has Dolby Headphone. Since I can't get my soundcard to output Dolby Digital 5.1 to it's optical out (so my receiver or PLYR 1's base can decode into Dolby Headphone), I think I'm gonna buy the Xonar U3. It has Dolby Headphone. It's fairly inexpensive, and I'll just run a cable from it's headphone jack to my amplifier. THX Tru Studio is decent, but I miss my Dolby headphone.
That being said, setting up virtual surround seems to be an outright pain in the ass. For instance, on my Recon 3Di, EVERY SINGLE TIME I plug in my headphones, the sound settings default back to 2 channel. In order to get virtual surround, it HAS to be seti to 5.1 surround. So yeah... constantly having to go into the sound options to fix that is soooo stupid.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/8/13 at 6:56am
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP 1 minute ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 1 minute ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 1 minute ago
- › PS audio Powerplant P5 1 minute ago
- › DLeeWebb breaks 55,000 posts - Daylight Second 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Techno, Electro & Underground Beats 5 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Music Sport Earbuds 6 minutes ago
- › Plussound Audio Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Head-Fi Times "A Ghetto burnout newspaper" 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear