or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 839

post #12571 of 37463

Well as I said before it has 3 audio jacks on the back of the decoder box which refer to 5.1 surround sound. I assume this would work with surround head phones?

post #12572 of 37463
Huh, so your headphones have a cable that terminates into three plugs: fronts, rears, center+bass? If so, I guess you could hook up a bunch of pairs of computer speakers, but the connection may be proprietary to the Tritton Ax Pro instead of typical 3.5mm headphone jacks. There probably is a mic input in there somewhere. Do you agree with Mad's review of the AxPro? Seems that was the only multi-driver-per-earcup headphone that Mad tried.
Edited by Evshrug - 3/24/13 at 7:13pm
post #12573 of 37463
By the way Mad, thanks again for lending me (and the others) the HE-400. A headphone I otherwise probably couldn't have auditioned. Also, reading others' reviews and impressions, I'm really glad I got to hear them with the velours, that's definitely the way to listen to them smily_headphones1.gif
post #12574 of 37463
Thread Starter 
Anyone else want my Mixamp Pro 2011? More ideal with those who are planning on using an external amp. It's all packaged and ready to go. $90 shipped. All cables:

3.5mm male/male

RCA to 3.5mm

RCA to RCA with piggybacks

long 9ft USB cable

long optical cable

audio/mic Y cable

Xbox 360 controller cable

Nothing is missing. Original box and everything.


Just remember it has a shifty volume knob in that it distorts in the first 50% of the volume, so I tend to leave it maxed and control volume with the game/voice knob. Works perfectly that way. If you're using an external amp to help power it, then you won't have a single issue either way.

Significantly less hiss than any Mixamp after (5.8 and 2013 models hiss quite a bit more. This one is nearly dead silent, and IS silent with harder to drive headphones).
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/25/13 at 5:52am
post #12575 of 37463

Ok, there's a lot to go through in this thread so I thought I may as well just ask the question so sorry if this has already been asked...

I already have an Astro mixamp paired with some Sennheiser PC360's that I use for my PS3.

Is it a perfectly acceptable solution to run a Fiio E17 from a usb port on my laptop, then running the optical output from the E17 to the mixamp so that can perform Dolby Headphone processing?

I only want to do this for surround gaming, so whilst I'm just using the laptop for music/movies I'd just run the E17 direct to headphones/speakers.

post #12576 of 37463
Thread Starter 
No. Astro Mixamp must be first in the chain.

Also, the E17s optical port is an INPUT, not an output.

All you can do is optical to Mixamp, Mixamp's headphone out to the E17's analog/aux in.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/25/13 at 8:24am
post #12577 of 37463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Anyone else want my Mixamp Pro 2011? More ideal with those who are planning on using an external amp. It's all packaged and ready to go. $90 shipped. All cables:

3.5mm male/male

RCA to 3.5mm

RCA to RCA with piggybacks

long 9ft USB cable

long optical cable

audio/mic Y cable

Xbox 360 controller cable

Nothing is missing. Original box and everything.


Just remember it has a shifty volume knob in that it distorts in the first 50% of the volume, so I tend to leave it maxed and control volume with the game/voice knob. Works perfectly that way. If you're using an external amp to help power it, then you won't have a single issue either way.

Significantly less hiss than any Mixamp after (5.8 and 2013 models hiss quite a bit more. This one is nearly dead silent, and IS silent with harder to drive headphones).

good deal is it an ACTUAL Mircosft registered 360 controller, as crappy off brands don't work with computers [I don't need it but hell a pc gamer might be able to use a AStro Mix amp] plus it looks kinda neat and I hate on board sound cards [as that's MORE I have to maitance on my pc board >.>] Speaking of which my poor pc hasn't been cleaned in like 2 months q.q. Going to have to do it like tommorow or something >.> b4 it explodes

post #12578 of 37463
Thread Starter 
Controller CABLE. Meaning the cable between the Mixamp and controller that allows you to chat.
post #12579 of 37463
Said controller cable
post #12580 of 37463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

No. Astro Mixamp must be first in the chain.

Also, the E17s optical port is an INPUT, not an output.

All you can do is optical to Mixamp, Mixamp's headphone out to the E17's analog/aux in.

Whoops... Slightly important detail I missed there... :P

Anyway what about a HUD-MX2? That can send USB audio to optical output, I don't see why that wouldn't go to the mixamp?

post #12581 of 37463
Thread Starter 
You're missing an important detail, devices like that won't carry a Dolby Digital signal through. Digital signals will almost always be converted to PCM, losing Dolby Digital, losing the ability to let the Mixamp convert into Dolby Headphone. That, and it's doubtful the USB even takes in anything more than 2 channels.

In short, again, Mixamp must go first.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/25/13 at 3:08pm
post #12582 of 37463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

You're missing an important detail, devices like that won't carry a Dolby Digital signal through. Digital signals will almost always be converted to PCM, losing Dolby Digital, losing the ability to let the Mixamp convert into Dolby Headphone. That, and it's doubtful the USB even takes in anything more than 2 channels.

In short, again, Mixamp must go first.

Thanks again, I keep jumping the gun a little...

Anyway I think the solution has been staring me in the face all along, I was planning on buying the Fiio E17 as a replacement for my my Asus Xonar U3. But I'm probably better off just buying the E17 for general use and then keeping the Xonar for when I want to play games as that supports Dolby Headphone/Dolby Live natively etc.

Might be interesting to see if there's any difference in quality when plugging my PC360's directly into the Xonar U3 for Dolby Headphone, or using the spdif output on the U3 carrying a Dolby Digital Live signal to my Astro Mixamp.

post #12583 of 37463

epuld love to see what you fine, I do LOVE the surround ish sound omy the wii U, monster hunter is kinda cool when stuff sounds relivant to where it is, ;eft of me right of me behind me ect...

 

so that would be extra cool in good mmos as well! 

post #12584 of 37463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

You're missing an important detail, devices like that won't carry a Dolby Digital signal through. Digital signals will almost always be converted to PCM, losing Dolby Digital, losing the ability to let the Mixamp convert into Dolby Headphone. That, and it's doubtful the USB even takes in anything more than 2 channels.

In short, again, Mixamp must go first.
The Recon3D receives surround from computer audio through USB.
BUT, I get your main point, the processor must receive more than 2 channels of audio, and USB dongles or external DACs usually strip out the Dolby Digital Live (DDL) from the signal. I don't know if the U3 has SPDIF-out, especially one that would include DH processing, would be cool if it did but I'm not holding my breath at the cost of an U3. It's also kind of weird that essentially boredandlazy would be double-DACing.

Boredandlazy,
If you already have a Xonar U3 USB DAC (and if you don't game on consoles), why not just buy an amp instead of the E17, which is a combo DAC/Amp? The cheaper E11 has an amp basically comparable to the E17's, or you could buy a more powerful amp like an E09k, E12, or Schiit Magni.
Edited by Evshrug - 3/26/13 at 2:47am
post #12585 of 37463
Thread Starter 
Are you sure? I tried it, and I couldn't get surround audio through USB with the Recon. I had to use the optical.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)