or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 790

post #11836 of 37355

i have a question from a non audiophile (or soon to become one)

 

 you have mid high lows

 

Singers voice what are they classed as? or are part of the mid high low depending on how they sing?

 

just curosity

post #11837 of 37355

No matter how they sing, human vocals are centered within the midrange, just as most other instruments are, they have fundamental tones centered from 100-1khz and overtones that can go to 6-8khz and sometimes 10khz.

 

This is a great resource:

 

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm


Edited by TMRaven - 2/19/13 at 10:18am
post #11838 of 37355

Hey MLE i have not been on here in awhile and have not read but skimmed over the back posts because,  "IT'S JUST TOO MUCH TO READ".. Just curious how did that receiver work out for you?? Does it have more than plenty of power for all your headphone needs just from the headphones out jack and lastly how does that dolby headphone decorder inside the receiver compair to the mixamp pro variants..

 

"any year" ?? What's the real differences if any??


Edited by I95North - 2/19/13 at 4:49pm
post #11839 of 37355
I never thought I would experience such... luxury.





Fullsized ear speakers oooooooooooh yeah baby! Am I allowed to say porn?


The next few days should be VERY interesting...
post #11840 of 37355
Thread Starter 
Rogue, directional cues from headphones I rate about 7.5 and up won't be much different. The only differences worth nothing are tonal balance and soundstage which isn't gonna be a humongous factor once you get to performance this good.

The 990s are plenty detailed as is. The K701 rates higher because there is less bass, so it puts easier focus in details. Easier focus =/= more details.

As for my receiver, I do find it to have ample power for the headphones I have used, as well as a ton of gain/volume. The dolby processing is identical to the Mixamp, and has no hiss. If you can score a receiver for a good price, this will take care of amp/dac/gaming needs. Just no voice chat.

The only thing to keep in mind is that receivers tend to have really high output impedance which won't match with most standard headphones. Planars and the AkGs K70x and Qs wont get affected much, but other lower impedance headphones will.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/19/13 at 9:06pm
post #11841 of 37355
By the way Mad, I brought your gear inside RIGHT as the mailman dropped it off. So nothing was left out in the cold smily_headphones1.gif I don't really have time to audition the HE's or ODAC tonight though... Had stuff to do between mail arrival and now, when I should sleep before an early morning.
post #11842 of 37355
Thread Starter 
Didn't see your last post until now. The Q701 looks so pretty in pics. Nice headband mod. wink.gif
post #11843 of 37355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

I never thought I would experience such... luxury.
 

 

 

Very few ever get to experience the luxury of the parts express mini stereo headphones...

post #11844 of 37355
Thread Starter 
Oh, Chico. Lol.
post #11845 of 37355
Nice threesome Evshrug... wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post

So I see that there is the mini-USB connector on the back of the ODAC/02 combo and then a Line In on the front of it. So that means I'll be able to have the PC connected via the USB, and the Mixamp connected to the Line In?

Or would I be unplugging things every time I wanted to switch between PC use and console gaming with the Mixamp?

The computer communicates with the DAC via USB and the DAC feeds the amp over RCA, 1 output on the former and one input on the latter (plus the headphone out, duh)... So yeah, you'd be unplugging stuff and whatnot. That's why I mentioned that the O2's front ports might be friendlier in that regard, or the E17/E9K's multiple input/outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

No matter how they sing, human vocals are centered within the midrange, just as most other instruments are, they have fundamental tones centered from 100-1khz and overtones that can go to 6-8khz and sometimes 10khz.

I'm sure an opera singer covers more of that range than someone like say, Taylor Swift? tongue.gif Not that I have much experience with opera (and I plead the fifth on Taylor Swift).
Edited by Impulse - 2/19/13 at 9:43pm
post #11846 of 37355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Rogue, directional cues from headphones I rate about 7.5 and up won't be much different. The only differences worth nothing are tonal balance and soundstage which isn't gonna be a humongous factor once you get to performance this good.

The 990s are plenty detailed as is. The K701 rates higher because there is less bass, so it puts easier focus in details. Easier focus =/= more details.

 

It sounds like, in terms of competitive gaming and directional audio, I can't really go wrong with either one of them when it comes to a more comfortable alternative to the AD700. I think I may continue to eyeball the K702 for right now. The bonus check can't come soon enough.

post #11847 of 37355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post

The computer communicates with the DAC via USB and the DAC feeds the amp over RCA, 1 output on the former and one input on the latter (plus the headphone out, duh)... So yeah, you'd be unplugging stuff and whatnot. That's why I mentioned that the O2's front ports might be friendlier in that regard, or the E17/E9K's multiple input/outputs.

 

Yeah... that kind of rules out the O2+ODAC.

 

So there wouldn't be any unplugging wires all the time with the E17/E9K combo? That sounds better to me... and the E17/E9K would be better for customization such as bass boost, right? Since the O2+ODAC is meant to be just a neutral amp.

 

Are there any other AMP/DAC's out there I should consider that also have multiple inputs/outputs and no need for unplugging stuff to go back and forth?

 

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Annies. I really like the look of them compared to other sets (I know looks aren't everything) but they seem to be really comfortable as well. And from reading MLE's review, they seem to be real good for an "all arounder" headset and using it for different purposes.

post #11848 of 37355

Welp, alright, finally caught up with like 200 posts.

 

@MLE, yea, I'll have her keep me busy while you're trying to pawn her off :o

 

Haven't been hanging around lately because another hobby of mine has been taking away all my attention and money. I could've bought a set of Annies by now or some MadDogs, guess they'll have to wait. Haven't even been playing any games that much for the past month. I was going to pick up the limited edition MGR:Revengeance but I'll have to settle with waiting till the regular edition goes on sale. I did manage to pick up a pair of Grado SR60's though for a ridiculously cheap price.

post #11849 of 37355
Thread Starter 
Ooh, how are they? Always wanted to try the 60i or 80i, as they use softies stock.

BTW, once I hit 10,000 posts, I'll no longer be using this account in favor of something simpler and new. I'll only log in to update the first post, and/or when buying/selling stuff.

Haven't thought of a name. I was know as Shin, Chaos Zero, and actually a million other names on my other forums. Raven Crimson as well, but we already have a Raven on Head-fi. tongue.gif
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/20/13 at 12:07am
post #11850 of 37355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Ooh, how are they? Always wanted to try the 60i or 80i, as they use softies stock.

BTW, once I hit 10,000 posts, I'll no longer be using this account in favor of something simpler and new. I'll only log in to update the first post, and/or when buying/selling stuff.

Haven't thought of a name. I was know as Shin, Chaos Zero, and actually a million other names on my other forums. Raven Crimson as well, but we already have a Raven on Head-fi. tongue.gif

 

I like them. No problem with comfort or anything. I do have the older non "i" version so the cord is way too long to use them away from the desktop. Sound is pretty much what everyone says, great for rock and metal and okay for anything else.  Soundstage is a bit smaller than what I'm used to and it leaks like a mother. Treble is a little hot but not piercing (to me). Guitars sound awesome on these.Vocals are in your face, it's been awhile since I've heard something so upfront with it.

 

All that being said, I really really want to try the SR225i.

 

Name suggestion, Burning Fighting Fighter

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)