- 140 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: Hawaii
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Preamble: I have already reviewed some of 1MORE’s and Xiaomi’s audio products in the past and all of them offered a great sound experience for their very reasonable price point. The...
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 762post #11416 of 374581/29/13 at 6:52pmThink of MLE's fun factor as a rating as to how immersive a headphone is. Does it transport you into the game? Do you feel as if you're actually there? I believe that's what MLE's trying to convey in his fun factor. Sure positioning and soundstage help, but so does a good amount of bass. Deep sub bass (for many) add to a fun factor in headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11417 of 374581/29/13 at 6:56pm
Thanks for all the quick responses guys.
I don't think I'm ever going to be in a truly quiet environment and as such, am leaning toward a closed headphone.
At school, roommates are always going to be making noise. And even at home (have 2 brothers and a sister), it's never going to be quiet.
Isolation is a huge part of game immersion for me and I don't want to be hearing any background noise when I'm gaming/watching a movie.
A shame after hearing all this good stuff about the K702 Anni but I don't think i'll ever be in a quiet enough environment to truly appreciate the headphones.
Maybe my trip to bestbuy tomorrow to see what open headphones sound like with a bunch of people around will change my mind...
I've also heard it said a couple times that the K702 Anni's are "semi-open". Can someone explain this? Is "Semi-open" as in provides better isolation than normal open headphones?
Pretty much narrowed it to mmx 300 or a K550 if I'm going for a closed headphone.
If anyone else has recommendations for a closed headphone, please let me know.
Edited by MadDogz - 1/29/13 at 7:15pmpost #11418 of 374581/29/13 at 7:45pmQuote:
I'd recommend the PC360s.
For mainly competitive PC gaming the anniversaries are over-kill.
The PC360s will do just as good at positional cues and will probably sound even clearer for competitive gaming due to a less bassy and less warm signature. They also have the mic already taken care of and are easier to drive (meaning you won't need to invest in additional amping).post #11419 of 374581/29/13 at 7:52pmQuote:
Basically it's an open headphone, but maybe with slightly less openings on it. Semi-open doesn't mean a whole lot though.
It's mainly a marketing term to differentiate headphones, like the DT880s being semi-open and the DT990's being open. "Semi-open" also makes buyers think that it will isolate somewhere between an open and closed headphone, but that's not always the case.
The AKGs don't have much isolation and they leak. They're a little less open then some headphones like the AD700 and HD5xx, but still pretty open.
Oops, I've said the word "open" too many times and now the word is starting to sound funny and not make sense
Edited by chicolom - 1/29/13 at 7:54pmpost #11420 of 374581/29/13 at 7:54pmpost #11421 of 374581/29/13 at 8:37pmQuote:
Are you saying you only use the anniversaries for gaming, and not outside of gaming??
I hear the CALs are a good compliment to anythingpost #11422 of 374581/29/13 at 9:11pmQuote:
Primarily, not exclusively.post #11423 of 374581/29/13 at 9:36pmThread StarterAlternative? Some Dt990 pros. Unless you want to go full alternative and get closed. Pro 900 with a lot of treble reduction via E17.post #11424 of 374581/29/13 at 9:45pmpost #11425 of 374581/29/13 at 9:50pmQuote:
Why would I do that?post #11426 of 374581/29/13 at 10:02pmThread StarterWhat do you mean. The Pro 900? They sound very artificial and metallic unless you tone down that bass a bit. Otherwise, theyre pretty good compliments. That bass is pretty awesome.post #11427 of 374581/30/13 at 2:02am
hi mad lust,
what are your settings when you did test the AKG K701?
I currently got those paired up with a asus xonar essence stx soundcard.
I normaly use dolby headphone but some say stereo is the way to go in games.post #11428 of 374581/30/13 at 2:37amQuote:
Set your Audio Channels in your Xonar Audio Center to 5.1/7/.1 and (if your game supports it) in game audio to match. Set your Analog Out or Output to Headphone. Check the Dolby Headphone box and set it to DH-2.
AFAIK, MLE doesn't pc game so he wouldn't likely be able to answer your question.post #11429 of 374581/30/13 at 6:22amQuote:
My apologies, I did mean the Pro900. I was actually thinking of something along the lines of the he-400 or maybe even a portable headphone recently. Hell, I might use the he-400 with my PS Vita when I go out.post #11430 of 374581/30/13 at 7:18am
Then which set would you recommend as a balanced set between "Fun" and "Competitive"? Q701? DT990? I'm still partial to the 598, since I tried on a 558 the other day. The comfort level for my particular head shape with Sennheiser's clamp design is closer to a 9.5 for me than a 7.
Quote:Originally Posted by ruuku
Think of MLE's fun factor as a rating as to how immersive a headphone is. Does it transport you into the game? Do you feel as if you're actually there? I believe that's what MLE's trying to convey in his fun factor. Sure positioning and soundstage help, but so does a good amount of bass. Deep sub bass (for many) add to a fun factor in headphones.
I wonder how much CMSS-3D and Dolby Headphone differ. First time I heard CMSS-3D in game, it blew my mind how stuff sounded like it was coming from outside of the headphone. An AI enemy yelled at me from down a hallway. It sounded like I was there, with a voice coming off in the distance, the hallway giving the voice a hollow-sounding effect. (Note that this is just with the Creative Fatal1ty Headset MKII. http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-HS-980-Fatal1ty-Professional/product-reviews/B002BH3JDA ) That drew me in more than deep bass ever could.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Chord Hugo 11 seconds ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 26 seconds ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 3 minutes ago
- › Brand New to "Head-Fi" - DAC/Amp Selection Help 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear + 3 cables. Price is net. 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 5 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear