- 140 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: Hawaii
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Brainwavz Intro ABOUT US Brainwavz provides high-end earphones specifically designed for high-quality sound and tailor-made to provide the user with a solution that can be used across a wide range...
Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD A Serious Common Denominator | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION Angles of Approach There’s always been a certain connotation...
http://www.fidue.com/content/view?brand=fidue_en&item=81&core=news Fidue have been active for some years now and they seem to have release great quality products / earphones. Personally,...
Beyerdynamic has been a tried and true brand for me over the years. In fact, their T70p was my first ever headphone I purchased over $200 (how the times have changed). Their quality and...
I am really disappointed with these cans. I have a Koss Porta Pro and I was waiting at least a closer quality compared to this. My AKG K420 sounds much better, with much more detail. These cans are...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 762post #11416 of 373391/29/13 at 6:52pmThink of MLE's fun factor as a rating as to how immersive a headphone is. Does it transport you into the game? Do you feel as if you're actually there? I believe that's what MLE's trying to convey in his fun factor. Sure positioning and soundstage help, but so does a good amount of bass. Deep sub bass (for many) add to a fun factor in headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11417 of 373391/29/13 at 6:56pm
Thanks for all the quick responses guys.
I don't think I'm ever going to be in a truly quiet environment and as such, am leaning toward a closed headphone.
At school, roommates are always going to be making noise. And even at home (have 2 brothers and a sister), it's never going to be quiet.
Isolation is a huge part of game immersion for me and I don't want to be hearing any background noise when I'm gaming/watching a movie.
A shame after hearing all this good stuff about the K702 Anni but I don't think i'll ever be in a quiet enough environment to truly appreciate the headphones.
Maybe my trip to bestbuy tomorrow to see what open headphones sound like with a bunch of people around will change my mind...
I've also heard it said a couple times that the K702 Anni's are "semi-open". Can someone explain this? Is "Semi-open" as in provides better isolation than normal open headphones?
Pretty much narrowed it to mmx 300 or a K550 if I'm going for a closed headphone.
If anyone else has recommendations for a closed headphone, please let me know.
Edited by MadDogz - 1/29/13 at 7:15pmpost #11418 of 373391/29/13 at 7:45pmQuote:
I'd recommend the PC360s.
For mainly competitive PC gaming the anniversaries are over-kill.
The PC360s will do just as good at positional cues and will probably sound even clearer for competitive gaming due to a less bassy and less warm signature. They also have the mic already taken care of and are easier to drive (meaning you won't need to invest in additional amping).post #11419 of 373391/29/13 at 7:52pmQuote:
Basically it's an open headphone, but maybe with slightly less openings on it. Semi-open doesn't mean a whole lot though.
It's mainly a marketing term to differentiate headphones, like the DT880s being semi-open and the DT990's being open. "Semi-open" also makes buyers think that it will isolate somewhere between an open and closed headphone, but that's not always the case.
The AKGs don't have much isolation and they leak. They're a little less open then some headphones like the AD700 and HD5xx, but still pretty open.
Oops, I've said the word "open" too many times and now the word is starting to sound funny and not make sense
Edited by chicolom - 1/29/13 at 7:54pmpost #11420 of 373391/29/13 at 7:54pmpost #11421 of 373391/29/13 at 8:37pmQuote:
Are you saying you only use the anniversaries for gaming, and not outside of gaming??
I hear the CALs are a good compliment to anythingpost #11422 of 373391/29/13 at 9:11pmQuote:
Primarily, not exclusively.post #11423 of 373391/29/13 at 9:36pmThread StarterAlternative? Some Dt990 pros. Unless you want to go full alternative and get closed. Pro 900 with a lot of treble reduction via E17.post #11424 of 373391/29/13 at 9:45pmpost #11425 of 373391/29/13 at 9:50pmQuote:
Why would I do that?post #11426 of 373391/29/13 at 10:02pmThread StarterWhat do you mean. The Pro 900? They sound very artificial and metallic unless you tone down that bass a bit. Otherwise, theyre pretty good compliments. That bass is pretty awesome.post #11427 of 373391/30/13 at 2:02am
hi mad lust,
what are your settings when you did test the AKG K701?
I currently got those paired up with a asus xonar essence stx soundcard.
I normaly use dolby headphone but some say stereo is the way to go in games.post #11428 of 373391/30/13 at 2:37amQuote:
Set your Audio Channels in your Xonar Audio Center to 5.1/7/.1 and (if your game supports it) in game audio to match. Set your Analog Out or Output to Headphone. Check the Dolby Headphone box and set it to DH-2.
AFAIK, MLE doesn't pc game so he wouldn't likely be able to answer your question.post #11429 of 373391/30/13 at 6:22amQuote:
My apologies, I did mean the Pro900. I was actually thinking of something along the lines of the he-400 or maybe even a portable headphone recently. Hell, I might use the he-400 with my PS Vita when I go out.post #11430 of 373391/30/13 at 7:18am
Then which set would you recommend as a balanced set between "Fun" and "Competitive"? Q701? DT990? I'm still partial to the 598, since I tried on a 558 the other day. The comfort level for my particular head shape with Sennheiser's clamp design is closer to a 9.5 for me than a 7.
Quote:Originally Posted by ruuku
Think of MLE's fun factor as a rating as to how immersive a headphone is. Does it transport you into the game? Do you feel as if you're actually there? I believe that's what MLE's trying to convey in his fun factor. Sure positioning and soundstage help, but so does a good amount of bass. Deep sub bass (for many) add to a fun factor in headphones.
I wonder how much CMSS-3D and Dolby Headphone differ. First time I heard CMSS-3D in game, it blew my mind how stuff sounded like it was coming from outside of the headphone. An AI enemy yelled at me from down a hallway. It sounded like I was there, with a voice coming off in the distance, the hallway giving the voice a hollow-sounding effect. (Note that this is just with the Creative Fatal1ty Headset MKII. http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-HS-980-Fatal1ty-Professional/product-reviews/B002BH3JDA ) That drew me in more than deep bass ever could.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 4 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 4 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 4 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 5 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Ranking the stars - Flinkenick's Flagship 16 IEM shootout 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by Wokei
- › Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by DynamikeB
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by Army-Firedawg
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by Johannus
- › LZ-A4 by peter123
- › Etymotic ER4XR by leaky74
- › Etymotic ER4SR by leaky74
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by sonickarma
- › Meze 12 Classics by OSiRiSsk
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear