or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 737

post #11041 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger de Ceiba View Post

SoAmusing, I have (as well as most other people) a "mount" in the middle to back of the cranium. Our head isn't exactly flat or perfectly globular...


Haha, I'm just giving u a hard time! In the middle to back of my head (only can see when near bald) I had a place that looks like someone hit my head with a shovel, lol. Oh wow, lol, you even have a diagram! Nice! Wow, after examination of the human skull, we have odd heads. That's a lot of weight in the rear. Well, that helped a lot, because I think that's exactly what I did and exactly what I do now.


Edited by SoAmusing777 - 1/20/13 at 4:00pm
post #11042 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by mild555 View Post

Does anyone have experience with HE500 in gaming?
 
Are they doing good with virtual surround?
 

I'm actually wondering about that myself. Although I really want the HE-500 or (HE-400) for non gaming use, since my Annies will probably hold that honor. I will also own a Stax set up at some point in my life. 

post #11043 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAmusing777 View Post
 

 

Jeez dude - you write a lot without actually saying anything.

 

Honestly - there's no need to quote a wall of text just to add "me too", "I agree", "Thankyou", "I leaned something" etc.

 

You say you're trying to learn and find the best setup etc, but you're posting your thoughts often as statements, not questions which makes it hard to know whether you're trying to add information to the thread or get information from it.

 

What exactly is your setup and what are you after?

 

From what I gather you're looking for the best gaming audio from a console?

 

Also music from the PC?

 

Are they in the same room (able to share hardware?)

 

What have you actually tried with your system?

 

Have you tried a mixamp? Chances are it would solve 90% of your gaming issues (in conjunction with a headphone amp to power the K702's)

 

Have you tried any of the solutions you mention and find them lacking?

 

(note - MLE posted this thread with mainly surround sound console gaming in mind, thus why you don't get some information you're after from his reviews etc)

 

By chance - (please don't be offended) - would English be a second language for you? It would explain a lot of the strange style and cohesion of your posts and you're doing very well if that is the case.


Edited by raband - 1/20/13 at 3:17pm
post #11044 of 37284

If anyone cares, MLG dropped Astro as their official headphone sponsor and is partnering with Turtle Beach instead.

 

So now all those tournament folk are going to be using Surround Angles instead of Dolby Headphone.

 

I don't know how to feel about this, but I've always thought Turtle Beach products to be a couple tiers below Astro and Skullcandy.

 

http://www.turtlebeach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

post #11045 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by raband View Post

 

Jeez dude - you write a lot without actually saying anything.

 

Honestly - there's no need to quote a wall of text just to add "me too", "I agree", "Thankyou", "I leaned something" etc.

 

You say you're trying to learn and find the best setup etc, but you're posting your thoughts often as statements, not questions which makes it hard to know whether you're trying to add information to the thread or get information from it.

 

What exactly is your setup and what are you after?

 

From what I gather you're looking for the best gaming audio from a console?

 

Also music from the PC?

 

Are they in the same room (able to share hardware?)

 

What have you actually tried with your system?

 

Have you tried a mixamp? Chances are it would solve 90% of your gaming issues (in conjunction with a headphone amp to power the K702's)

 

Have you tried any of the solutions you mention and find them lacking?

 

(note - MLE posted this thread with mainly surround sound console gaming in mind, thus why you don't get some information you're after from his reviews etc)

 

By chance - (please don't be offended) - would English be a second language for you? It would explain a lot of the strange style and cohesion of your posts and you're doing very well if that is the case.

Not always. You make a very valid point though. I guess I just quote so people can see what I'm responding to, and even though it's not me saying much of anything, at least they see that someone read it and found it helpful or whatever.

 

Yes, I am. I'm doing both. I learn quickly. I do use question marks.. My goodness.

 

Current setup is in my profile. I may put it in my sig later. It's a Yamaha AX710 receiver, with the headphones plugged into it. I have a usb mic that sits on the desk in front of me.

 

I'm after a virtual surround tech that will utilize lossless. Optical can't carry 5.1 other than through Dolby Digital. HDMI is the only way to go for the PS3, hence me wanting to use a receiver. Also want to mention I'm going to be using the Antlion Modmic in my final setup.

 

Yes, best gaming audio from a console.

 

Yes, I love music more than anything. The music will come from the PC.

 

Yes, they are in the same room.

 

Tritton AX Pro, Psyko Carbon 5.1, and a Yammy receiver (the one I have) coupled with the Q and K702 Annie.

 

No, I can't use the mixamp. It's DD5.1. Everything I've tried so far has been lacking, with my current receiver being the best.

 

EDIT: Just wanted to add something here.

 

Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post
 

I actually wouldn't mind seeing an A/V receiver shootout here in this thread. May be a bit overkill for headphone processors, but it's also the only way to get virtual surround out of HDMI sources short of the Smyth Realiser (and that only takes LPCM).

 

EDIT - So, the PS3 only has 3 options, and the only way to get lossless out of it is HDMI, which leaves me with only a choice of the receiver, plus add-ons.

 

I know he did. I know that.

 

*Sighs* Why be offended? No, it's my first and only language. I did very well in school in English, although I hated it, maybe partially due to how complex it can be coupled with all the stupid essay topics and time limits on some of them. I'm still working at this. When I speak in person, it's different. I've never done this forum thing before either, so it's all new to me. That's just awful to hear for me, but thanks for the input?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post

If anyone cares, MLG dropped Astro as their official headphone sponsor and is partnering with Turtle Beach instead.

 

So now all those tournament folk are going to be using Surround Angles instead of Dolby Headphone.

 

I don't know how to feel about this, but I've always thought Turtle Beach products to be a couple tiers below Astro and Skullcandy.

 

http://www.turtlebeach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

I do. What an interesting choice on their part. I feel the same. Thanks for the link.


Edited by SoAmusing777 - 1/20/13 at 4:39pm
post #11046 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post


That sucks, dunno why they're regressing like that... AFAIK CMSS-3D and DH were always fairly popular in the PC space. I've read the Z series isn't as neutral as something like the Ti HD too but haven't seen any conclusive proof or testing. Hopefully the DGX works out for ya.


It has! For me, Dolby Headphone is an immense improvement over DHTV4 and Pro Studio. I may pony up and get a better DAC at some point though.

post #11047 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhalf View Post


It has! For me, Dolby Headphone is an immense improvement over DHTV4 and Pro Studio. I may pony up and get a better DAC at some point though.


I'll have to consider getting an Omega Claro or Xonar STX instead of a Sound Blaster ZxR, if this is so. Does Dolby Headphone have positioning for audio above and below, like SBX?

post #11048 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaWolf View Post


I'll have to consider getting an Omega Claro or Xonar STX instead of a Sound Blaster ZxR, if this is so. Does Dolby Headphone have positioning for audio above and below, like SBX?

The Xonar DX & D1 sound cards ($70) come with the same audio processor (CMI8788) as the Essence STX & ST.

So you can just use any external headphone amplifier you like into the Xonar DX/D1.

 

Also the Titanium HD ($100-$150) seems to be the preferred card for Creative Labs sound cards.

You can also plug any head amp. into to the Titanium HD.

post #11049 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaWolf View Post

What's a place with a decent return policy, by the way? I was going to just order from Amazon. I've used them, but have never filed a return, so any advice would be helpful.

Go with Amazon, they have a very liberal return policy (no restock fee) and excellent service. If you decide to return them the worst case scenario is you'd have to pay for the shipping if you admit you're returning them because you just didn't like them.
post #11050 of 37284

So, I did my first heavy gaming session with the Annies on the Mixamp with chat on Fri night.  As I started out, with the chat dial at around 4 o'clock, I heard my friend just fine, but the game sound was... lacking.  It clearly wasn't full bodied and lacking punch.  Hailin mentioned earlier that he was able to turn the dial back towards game and still hear voice well, so I gave that a go.  I found I could get the dial to 2 o'clock without impacting chat volume and the game sound was back to what it should be.  I ended up with the Magni at between 11 and 12 o'clock as well.

 

While playing, I came to a better understanding (I won't claim to fully understand this early on!) of the enormity of the x70x soundstage.  It was sooo spacious.  And for the first time ever, I was able to pinpoint the location of my friend during matches.  On the HPX-1s and even the PortaPros, I would definitely get sound surrounding me, but the specific locations of sounds was more generalized.  I had two very specific instances where I heard my friend take cover, got a bearing on where I thought the sound likely came from, went to that location, and sure enough found him exactly where I had heard him! biggrin.gif

 

I want to mention something I discovered about double-amping with the Mixamp.  The first time I hooked everything up, I had the Annies plugged into the Magni, turned it and the Mixamp on, and found I could turn the Mixamp all the way up without hearing any hiss.  On Fri, I hooked the Annies straight up to the Mixamp after my gaming session and actually heard some hiss with the volume dial at 2 o'clock (where I had it during my gaming session).  It didn't go away until I dialed back to about 1 o'clock.  So, basically, find your Mixamp's hiss spot before double-amping, then add in the amp.  I'm guessing this was already known and probably mentioned earlier in the thread, but thought I'd share it nonetheless. smile.gif


Edited by Vader2k - 1/20/13 at 7:52pm
post #11051 of 37284
Thread Starter 
I found that regardless of finding the point where the Mixamp doesn't hiss, it will still hiss once you get to a loud enough decibel level when double amped.

For example...

Maxing out the Mixamp + external amp on lower volume

vs

Mixamp on no hiss area + louder on external amp

Is the SAME EXACT hiss. Do an SPL test, and you'd see, there's no difference. The Mixamp introduces hiss to the audio chain from the beginning, even if it's inaudible to your ears. Once you reach a certain volume range, the hiss will come out, even if the Mixamp isn't up to that point itself.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/20/13 at 8:01pm
post #11052 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by raband View Post

Jeez dude - you write a lot without actually saying anything.

 

Honestly - there's no need to quote a wall of text just to add "me too", "I agree", "Thankyou", "I leaned something" etc.

 

QFT

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAmusing777 View Post

Yes, I am. I'm doing both. I learn quickly. I do use question marks.. My goodness. 

 

I do. What an interesting choice on their part. I feel the same. Thanks for the link...

 

No offense, but it's really hard to read your posts.  

 

Here is my constructive criticism... wink.gif

 

You tend to use very fragmented sentences, which are inherently confusing and hard to follow.  You also post and say things like, "Yes.  Yes.  No.  Sometimes.  Same here.  Sure it does.  Maybe.  I love that too.  I agree..."  Those responses mean nothing to the reader unless the reader takes the time to go back and forth and try to match each response to each question and decipher what you're trying to say.  We're not privy to your thought process you had at the moment you wrote your post, and we don't want jump back and forth between the quoted text and your reply to try and make sense of what you're referring to.

 

It's pretty confusing (and a little annoying) to try and read them.  To be honest, as soon one of your posts start to fall into the quick, fragmented response patterns that requires me to go back and look for the original questions, I just stop reading and skip ahead to the next post.

 

 

If you do want to post that way there is a better way to do it.  The best way for others to read and understand that type of post is by replying within the quote itself and bolding your replies.

 

Here's an example (Click to show)

 

What exactly is your setup and what are you after?

 

I'm after a virtual surround tech that will utilize lossless. Optical can't carry 5.1 other than through Dolby Digital. HDMI is the only way to go for the PS3, hence me wanting to use a receiver. Also want to mention I'm going to be using the Antlion Modmic in my final setup.

 

From what I gather you're looking for the best gaming audio from a console?

 

Yes, best gaming audio from a console.

 

Also music from the PC?

 

Yes, I love music more than anything. The music will come from the PC.

 

Are they in the same room (able to share hardware?)

 

Yes, they are in the same room.

 

What have you actually tried with your system?

 

Tritton AX Pro, Psyko Carbon 5.1, and a Yammy receiver (the one I have) coupled with the Q and K702 Annie.

 

Have you tried a mixamp? Chances are it would solve 90% of your gaming issues (in conjunction with a headphone amp to power the K702's)

 

No, I can't use the mixamp. It's DD5.1. Everything I've tried so far has been lacking, with my current receiver being the best.

 

^ See how much easier that is to read?  There is a reason Q&A interviews are written and formatted this way on both websites and magazines wink.gif  Sure it takes a little more time for you to write, but it takes infinitely less time for us to read and understand your reply.

 

 

It's also NOT necessary to quote and reply to every little comment that people make. 

 

When people post, they assume others are going to read it and acknowledge what they say.  They don't need always need a "verbal" affirmation for everything they've said.  So, it's NOT necessary to go through and multi-quote everybody's posts acknowledging everything they wrote.  Do that in your head.  

 

When you post massive multi-quotes and just say things like "Yes......I agree.....Good point.....Interesting..." - that's unnecessary posting.  Given the frequency in which you post in the aforementioned format, some of your posts come across being empty/unproductive/spammy/etc, although I'm sure you don't mean them to.  Just assume that everyone else already assumes that everyone else is going to read their posts.  For example, I assume you just read that last sentence twice, but that's a rhetorical assumption and I don't actually need an answer - silent acknowledgement will do. smile.gif

 

Personally, I typically l only post when I have something meaningful or productive to say.  When I do post, I take the time to write my posts carefully, I choose the words purposefully, and I mean what I say.

 

 

Anyways, that's my posting advice.  I apologize if I sound like an A-hole

You say you learn quickly, so lets see it!  regular_smile%20.gif


Edited by chicolom - 1/20/13 at 8:28pm
post #11053 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I found that regardless of finding the point where the Mixamp doesn't hiss, it will still hiss once you get to a loud enough decibel level when double amped.

For example...

Maxing out the Mixamp + external amp on lower volume

vs

Mixamp on no hiss area + louder on external amp

Is the SAME EXACT hiss. Do an SPL test, and you'd see, there's no difference. The Mixamp introduces hiss to the audio chain from the beginning, even if it's inaudible to your ears. Once you reach a certain volume range, the hiss will come out, even if the Mixamp isn't up to that point itself.

 

Really?  Bummer, didn't realize it's present in the signal overall.  I haven't pushed the Magni super loud yet, but so far I have heard zero hiss coming through.  Is there any chance the Magni is filtering it out?  Regardless, I'm curious and will probably try to hear where it starts to come through on the Magni.

 

It's a bit of a downer to keep finding the shortcomings of the mixamp, despite the usefulness it has.  First the below-35Hz clip, and now the persistant hiss.  I'm guessing this (and other) issues played a part in deciding to move into receiver territory?  I'm very curious to read your findings on the marantz.

post #11054 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger de Ceiba View Post

Our head isn't exactly flat or perfectly globular...

I place my headband on the crease between the parietal bone and the temporal bone.

 

 

 

An appropriate picture for Head-fi....

post #11055 of 37284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

 

An appropriate picture for Head-fi....


He's still trying to get IEM's to stay in

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)