or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 735

post #11011 of 37338

I played around with the Annies a bit after they arrived yesterday. They are fairly comfortable and I like the velour earpads. The only thing is that it seems that I have such a massive head that the headband doesn't really give me a comfortable enough fit. It's snugh, but I feel that there is a little too much force on the top of my head. I'm glad I got these as opposed to the regular Q701s. I can't even imagine trying the bumps, my head hurts already...;)

 

As far as sound quality, I can't really comment on that as of yet. There did seem to be some grain on some music I listened to, but to be fair, that was using my built-in computer DAC. I'm going to at least buy a decent one (along with an aditional amp for gaming) before forming my final opinion.

post #11012 of 37338
Thread Starter 
I have a big head, and I still have some headroom. You would definitely find the Q701 and older Ks to be absolute torture if the Annie is causing discomfort. I get zero downward pressure, and most of the pressure is from the very slight clamp of the cups. I can literally raise the Annie a little and the headband just sits there. Near zero down pressure.

You must be experiencing what I do with the older models. I have zero headroom, and so it sits very tight with constant down pressure. Looks like you need the HD650 which has headroom for a gargantuan.

As for grain.... hmm, I dunno. The Annie is *quite* smooth for everything except maybe some anime. Anime tends to be quite mid and upper range oriented, it makes even the HD650 sound grainy.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/19/13 at 11:11am
post #11013 of 37338
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Felipe View Post

Does a Sound Blaster Z drive well a K702 65th Anniversary Edition?

I would make a guess the Sound Blaster Z should have no problem driving the K702.

(Can't see any reason why not).

Check out the Sound blaster Zx, Newegg and Amazon are selling it for $120 with free shipping.

post #11014 of 37338
Thread Starter 
The Annie gets loud off many things, but loudness =/= driven well. Again, these drivers are finicky., You can drive them loud even with a lowly Fiio E5, but you're not gonna get your money's worth.

I don't know why people constantly recommend low power devices for the AKGs which are the most finicky bastards when it comes to amping than any other headphone I have heard (other than the HE-4).

They prefer amps with over 1watt of power at their impedance (64ohm, for spare power), FWIH. That's how much they scale. Most of these devices can't even do that at 32ohm. Not that they don't sound good off desktop power amps like the E9K. As long as you have over 200mw (max power the K702s can take in at once) at the AKG's impedance, you should be doing pretty good. For example, the Fiio E11 only does 200mw at 32ohm. At 64ohm, it's about half of that, which means the AKGs can handle a lot more than the E11 can give it.

The Annie is more forgiving due to the better seal (allowing for more volume to reach your ears), and smoother sound which hides defects, but it's a disservice to skimp out on power.

edit: Damn, I woke up too late, and couldn't send the Mixamp. Well, I guess I have a day to use them...
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/19/13 at 11:42am
post #11015 of 37338
Thread Starter 




Got my Brainwavz stands. Bought two of them (Annie and HE-400).

Currently using one for the SLYR... biggrin.gif

They go for $25 on Amazon... I think they're a lot more classy than the Rubbermaid Hose Hook I was using... and a lot more sturdy.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/19/13 at 12:07pm
post #11016 of 37338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post





Got my Brainwavz stands. Bought two of them (Annie and HE-400).

Currently using one for the SLYR... biggrin.gif

They go for $25 on Amazon... I think they're a lot more classy than the Rubbermaid Hose Hook I was using... and a lot more sturdy.

 

Sweet I bought one.

 

-Erik

post #11017 of 37338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The Annie gets loud off many things, but loudness =/= driven well. Again, these drivers are finicky., You can drive them loud even with a lowly Fiio E5, but you're not gonna get your money's worth.

I don't know why people constantly recommend low power devices for the AKGs which are the most finicky bastards when it comes to amping than any other headphone I have heard (other than the HE-4).

They prefer amps with over 1watt of power at their impedance (64ohm, for spare power), FWIH. That's how much they scale. Most of these devices can't even do that at 32ohm. Not that they don't sound good off desktop power amps like the E9K. As long as you have over 200mw (max power the K702s can take in at once) at the AKG's impedance, you should be doing pretty good. For example, the Fiio E11 only does 200mw at 32ohm. At 64ohm, it's about half of that, which means the AKGs can handle a lot more than the E11 can give it.

The Annie is more forgiving due to the better seal (allowing for more volume to reach your ears), and smoother sound which hides defects, but it's a disservice to skimp out on power.

edit: Damn, I woke up too late, and couldn't send the Mixamp. Well, I guess I have a day to use them...


But would you say the Mixamp+E11 is sufficient for the Annie?  I also use E11 attached to Pioneer AVR (Phones Surround) as well.  If not, is there another more powerful amp (under $200 or so) that also has a bass boost or adjustable EQ like the E11 that may do Annie's more justice?  I auditioned the Magni as well but, the sound quality seemed close enough and I preferred the E11 bass boost so the Magni was sent back.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

post #11018 of 37338
Thread Starter 
Your Pioneer AVR has definitely got to be more powerful than the E11, so you're making SQ worse.

I personally wouldn't bass boost the Annie, which would take away from the mids...but that's just me.

The E9K, Magni, O2, and other desktop amps would be decent with the Annie. The E11 is basically about half the potential of the Annie, IMHO. Perhaps you may not notice the difference, but it's there. If you're fine with the E11, than that's fine. I just personally don't see how people can spend over $400, and not drive their headphones to somewhat near their best potential. Like buying an HD800 and using only 128kbps files.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/19/13 at 2:46pm
post #11019 of 37338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Your Pioneer AVR has definitely got to be more powerful than the E11, so you're making SQ worse.

I personally wouldn't bass boost the Annie, which would take away from the mids...but that's just me.

The E9K, Magni, O2, and other desktop amps would be decent with the Annie. The E11 is basically about half the potential of the Annie, IMHO. Perhaps you may not notice the difference, but it's there. If you're fine with the E11, than that's fine. I just personally don't see how people can spend over $400, and not drive their headphones to somewhat near their best potential. Like buying an HD800 and using only 128kbps files.

Appreciate and respect your advice/opinions.  Correct me if wrong, I thought the double amping just added to the power output.  I re-boxed Magni but, still have it.  Maybe I will give it more time.  My concern and goal was to have a little more low end presence as I typically use 7.1 home theater and miss the sub late at night.  I use these exclusively for 70%games & 30% movies, no music which probably reveals larger differences, so maybe that's why I am a little less critical.  I came from HD598 so I must have that large soundstage.

 

Is it possible to use another EQ before Mixamp+Magni on PS3 or even added some where in chain on my HTPC->AVR (I use MKV's in XBMC for Bluray)?  If not, thanks for the advice regardless.

post #11020 of 37338
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I would make a guess the Sound Blaster Z should have no problem driving the K702.

(Can't see any reason why not).

Check out the Sound blaster Zx, Newegg and Amazon are selling it for $120 with free shipping.

 

 

Thanks.
 
Some say that Q701, K701 and K702 are hard to drive because they are highly sensitive even they are just 62-Ohm though.
 
They say that amps such Fiio E9K are not so good to drive AKGs because it has a high floor noise. They recommend O2. So I ask whether SBZ drives well these AKGs.
 
I saw Zx is for the same than Z, but I live in Brazil hence I cannot buy from Newegg or Amazon.
post #11021 of 37338

Hello folks. I did not know this thread existed. This is highly informative. I see that AKG is a good brand for gaming. Something I cannot see anywhere is whether the Q701 is closed or open ear. It looks open, but I cannot find a definitive answer.

 

Is there anyone here who uses a Core3D card (i.e. Recon3D or Sound Blaster Z) with closed-ear headphones? I'm looking for a good set for under $400 that plays well with SBX. I currently own an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional, but will be upgrading to a Sound Blaster ZxR in the future.

post #11022 of 37338
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Felipe View Post

Some say that Q701, K701 and K702 are hard to drive because they are highly sensitive even they are just 62-Ohm though.

They say that amps such Fiio E9K are not so good to drive AKGs because it has a high floor noise. They recommend O2. So I ask whether SBZ drives well these AKGs.
I saw Zx is for the same than Z, but I live in Brazil hence I cannot buy from Newegg or Amazon.

Try asking on this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626971/akg-k702-65th-anniversary-edition

post #11023 of 37338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger de Ceiba View Post

I played around with the Annies a bit after they arrived yesterday. They are fairly comfortable and I like the velour earpads. The only thing is that it seems that I have such a massive head that the headband doesn't really give me a comfortable enough fit. It's snugh, but I feel that there is a little too much force on the top of my head. I'm glad I got these as opposed to the regular Q701s. I can't even imagine trying the bumps, my head hurts already...;)

 

As far as sound quality, I can't really comment on that as of yet. There did seem to be some grain on some music I listened to, but to be fair, that was using my built-in computer DAC. I'm going to at least buy a decent one (along with an aditional amp for gaming) before forming my final opinion.

I don't think they are velour. I think the Q's and K's are velour, but the Annies are memory foam. I definitely noticed a different in the pads. They keep cooler it seems, while being more comfortable (for me at least), and seem to not attract hair/dust/crap as much. My goodness, lol. I thought they was plenty of room for any head size. Read below, I had the same uncomfort in the beginning, somewhat anyway. Aw. Well, hope it gets better. Maybe try the X1 when it comes out. Should be similar to the Annies, maybe with more bass. Do the headphones justice! Use something better! Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I have a big head, and I still have some headroom. You would definitely find the Q701 and older Ks to be absolute torture if the Annie is causing discomfort. I get zero downward pressure, and most of the pressure is from the very slight clamp of the cups. I can literally raise the Annie a little and the headband just sits there. Near zero down pressure.

You must be experiencing what I do with the older models. I have zero headroom, and so it sits very tight with constant down pressure. Looks like you need the HD650 which has headroom for a gargantuan.

As for grain.... hmm, I dunno. The Annie is *quite* smooth for everything except maybe some anime. Anime tends to be quite mid and upper range oriented, it makes even the HD650 sound grainy.

Same here, on all accounts. This is so much more comfortable than the Q's. Actually, at first, I thought it was uncomfortable. It was def more comfy, but I had a similar uncomfy feeling. Well, I just adjusted them and/or have gotten use to them. I wouldn't change a thing about these. Not the way they look, feel, are built, or perform. I don't see what could be improved at all. Biggest thing for me is how damn comfy they are as well as being auto-fitting. No things to click. Just slide it on. Other companies should take note. No grain with me either. Even with it being oriented that way, the bass is wholly satisfying. This is coming from someone who grew up with hip-hop/rap influences. I love bass. I love all the ranges, but I gotta have my bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The Annie gets loud off many things, but loudness =/= driven well. Again, these drivers are finicky., You can drive them loud even with a lowly Fiio E5, but you're not gonna get your money's worth.

I don't know why people constantly recommend low power devices for the AKGs which are the most finicky bastards when it comes to amping than any other headphone I have heard (other than the HE-4).

They prefer amps with over 1watt of power at their impedance (64ohm, for spare power), FWIH. That's how much they scale. Most of these devices can't even do that at 32ohm. Not that they don't sound good off desktop power amps like the E9K. As long as you have over 200mw (max power the K702s can take in at once) at the AKG's impedance, you should be doing pretty good. For example, the Fiio E11 only does 200mw at 32ohm. At 64ohm, it's about half of that, which means the AKGs can handle a lot more than the E11 can give it.

The Annie is more forgiving due to the better seal (allowing for more volume to reach your ears), and smoother sound which hides defects, but it's a disservice to skimp out on power.

edit: Damn, I woke up too late, and couldn't send the Mixamp. Well, I guess I have a day to use them...

Those stands are sexy. What are they made out of for $25? You must make some decent money, lol, or get good deals somewhere along the line, maybe both. I always see you getting new stuff. So, would your Marantz receiver be enough for the Annies? Also, what are you going to use to mix the game/chat volume when using the receiver?

post #11024 of 37338

Well, after using it a bit more it not as uncomfortable as I had thought originally.

post #11025 of 37338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhalf View Post

To answer you earlier questions, the M-Stage got here today, so its already bought. Im copying my post from Nameless' thread:

****snip*****

Boy, I just want this to be over. Hopefully Ill have the DGX tomorrow, and will use DGX-Line out-> M-stage- Annies

That sucks, dunno why they're regressing like that... AFAIK CMSS-3D and DH were always fairly popular in the PC space. I've read the Z series isn't as neutral as something like the Ti HD too but haven't seen any conclusive proof or testing. Hopefully the DGX works out for ya.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)