Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) is a company that I am very fond of. I absolutely loved their previous flagship, the TFZ Series 5 and praised it with very high word. It became one of my...
From the Doukaudio website: "Shenzheng Cavins Technology Co.,LTD has been established since 2014.. We are devoted to design and research of hi-end level of audio equipments under our own brand...
Brainwavz Intro ABOUT US Brainwavz provides high-end earphones specifically designed for high-quality sound and tailor-made to provide the user with a solution that can be used across a wide range...
Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD A Serious Common Denominator | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION Angles of Approach There’s always been a certain connotation...
http://www.fidue.com/content/view?brand=fidue_en&item=81&core=news Fidue have been active for some years now and they seem to have release great quality products / earphones. Personally,...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 724post #10846 of 373401/16/13 at 1:02am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #10847 of 373401/16/13 at 1:07amThread StarterCheck Amazon, I saw it there... or maybe you meant there's. Count me in. Just put it in the box of goodies, assuming you get the headbands that soon. I'll paypal you the cost.
Okay, so looks like I got everyone for the HE400. Nameless, I'll pm you Chico's address, Chico sends to Evs, and Evs sends to Calpis. I assume everyone is ok with this, and the cost to ship to the next person. Also assume everyone is okay with 7 days to use them, so I should get them back in a month, unless I wanna sell, in which case Calpis holds onto it...
As for the Annie, that will be sent out once I get the HE400 back... maybe not immediately though, lol.
Probably send it out this Friday...since it's payday.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/16/13 at 1:08ampost #10848 of 373401/16/13 at 1:17amQuote:
OK. Yeah, they're on amazon, but they're way overpriced.
I'll probably order 4 pairs off of parts express and then keep 2 and send you two, if that sounds good...post #10849 of 373401/16/13 at 1:24amThread Starterpost #10850 of 373401/16/13 at 1:32am
I don't know, I haven't used it long enough to find out I doubt you can hurt it much though. It's just a metal band with two pieces of plastic on each end.
Whatever happened to the Yuins? Did you send them back?post #10851 of 373401/16/13 at 1:47amThread Starterpost #10852 of 373401/16/13 at 2:22am
When I ordered from parts-express, I ordered like 2 sets of headphones, a bunch of banana clips, and some heatshrink tubing to help alleviate the pain of the shipping cost. The headband itself needs a little force to get them attached to the 75's. I was worried that I was applying too much force when I attached them but they should be fine, I had the same headband on 3 different 75's.
I'll send you out a logitech wireless mouse. I got it in an rma but I got another mouse a few weeks later and and got turned into a backup mouse. I have other backup mice now so that's just sitting around unused. It's the Logitech VX Revolution, let me know if you want it and I'll send it along with the he-400.post #10853 of 373401/16/13 at 2:33amThread StarterAs long as it has a good range and doesnt need line of sight, im down... though I would still use tbe built in trackpad on my keyboard when im away from the desk. Going wireless for a mouse is basically to eliminate cables, though it would remain at the desk.
What I want is wireless HDMI, optical, audio, etc, as long as quality remains 100% the same as wired. Come on technology!
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/16/13 at 2:35ampost #10854 of 373401/16/13 at 2:35ampost #10855 of 373401/16/13 at 2:57amThread Starterpost #10856 of 373401/16/13 at 3:13ampost #10857 of 373401/16/13 at 5:43amQuote:Originally Posted by chicolom
Just found my old parts express headband under a pile of misc cables.
I thought I'd try it out on my KSC35s...
I'm not sure how the sound differs from the clips, probably not very much at all. The pressure is about the same, perhaps slightly more...so slightly warmer/bassier. Not quite sure yet. It's hard to A-B compare...
There is more room to position the drivers on the ear then with the clip-ons though. You can move them to be more centered and aimed into your ear with the headband. Could make the sound fuller....
OK, I tried some swapping and comparing between the KSC35 with the either the KSC75 clips, or the headband. There are definitely some differences.
To sum up:
+ Fuller mids
+ More body and impact to sound
+ Better balance between frequencies
+ Taller soundstage height, "bigger" sounding
+ Airer sound
+ More soundstage width
+ More separation between parts
You can pretty much say the pros of one are the cons of the other.
The airiness part is sort of a grey area though, because the airiness is sort of tied to/comes at the expense of the mids. The KSC35 is a bit grainy up top anyways, so I'm not sure I want to hear the "air" it has to offer all that much. I'd rather hear some more mids instead.
- The mids are fuller with the headband, no question. That's the first thing I notice when I swap. There is more body to the mids and lower mids/upper bass with the headband. When I put the clips back on the mids get sucked out some and it's more "V" shaped, and the highs sound more stranded off and isolated from the rest of the frequencies (which I think also makes the clips sound airier up top - as there are less mids next to the highs so they sound more highlighted, airey, and slightly more metallic).
- The balance sounds closer to a full sized headphone with the headband.
- With the headband on the soundstage sounds taller and the overall sound sounds "bigger."
- The clips are airier sounding (keep in mind what I said at the end of the first bullet point about the air).
- With the clips the soundstage has more width. While the headband soundstage does sound taller, the width sounds more compressed as well. Coming from the headband, it sounds like you squished the soundstage height and stretched the sound more to the sides instead, but perhaps stretched it too thinly (losing some mids and fullness). That's pretty much to be expected, and you should be able to attribute that to the different position and distance from the ear with the clips.
- There is also some more separation between parts with the clips. I think a part of that has to do with the mids "getting out of the way" more with the clips, which can add separation to the sound but at the expense of sounding thinner. The other part is related to the differences in soundstage width from the different physical positions of the drivers.
- I didn't test imaging, but I imagine it will probably do a little better with the clips and the extra room they give in the soundstage.
Keep in mind this is with the KSC75 clips. I'm assuming the differences between the KSC35 clips and the headband will be smaller, since they're a little less distant than the KSC75 clips.
So far, I prefer the sound with the headband. It's a fuller more balanced sound, closer to a that of a full sized headphone. I think the fuller mids and added body are worth the loss of some soundstage width and separation. I mainly use the KSC35 for things where soundstage and imaging isn't critical anyways, like TV/movie watching. When I need moar soundstage, I've got my full size headphones.
Some of the shortcomings I've always had with the KSC75 and 35 (both with 75 clips mind you) were that the mids were too thin, the soundstage was to short (height), and the highs were too grainy/sibilant. The headband helps alleviate those issues some, and IMO the pros outweigh the cons.
> Most importantly, using the headband makes me miss the Q701's less than when I'm just using the '75 clips.
Edited by chicolom - 1/16/13 at 7:16ampost #10858 of 373401/16/13 at 5:51ampost #10859 of 373401/16/13 at 6:24am
My gameplan is hopefully get the K702/65 in about a month or two.
I wasn't planning on buying any new headphones for a while, so I spent some money in the Fall to upgrade some other gear that needed upgrading (TV, Camera, etc.) Now that the K702/65 looks legit though, I've put it on my "to buy" list and am going to work towards getting it next.
The Q701s have been "my headphone" ever since I got them, so I 'd kick myself if I didn't check out the K702/65, especially since it's limited. AKG may decide to later bring the new changes to the other x70x headphones, but I don't want take that chance. I know headphone makers can be slow and stubborn to make any changes like that, so I'm not naive enough to expect it or wait for it.
The Q701s are headphones that have a special place in my audiophile heart, so I don't want to just sell them off to fund the new hawtness. There probably isn't really a place for both a Q701 and K702/65 in the same home, but I still want to do a comparison between the Q701s and K702/65s first before I make a decision to keep or say goodbye to Q701. That means some good old A-B action. Going of the consensus of impressions coming in on the 65th, that comparison will probably read very similar to my "K702 vs Q701" comparison but with the descriptions of K702 and Q701 flipped and a "65th" added to the all the "K702"s, but I still want to do it.
MLE, if I do decide to sell the Q701, I could send them out to you for one last stop before I sell them - in case you want to hear them again, next to the anniversaries.
Edited by chicolom - 1/16/13 at 6:32am
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 1 minute ago
- › FiiO's dynamic in-ear monitors F1 is available with limited... 1 minute ago
- › Ranking the stars - Flinkenick's Flagship 16 IEM shootout 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 4 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 4 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › TFZ Balance 2M by ustinj
- › Nobsound NS-01E Mini Tube Headphone Amplifier Stereo HiFi Amp Audio... by crabdog
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by Wokei
- › Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by DynamikeB
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by Army-Firedawg
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by Johannus
- › LZ-A4 by peter123
- › Etymotic ER4XR by leaky74
- › Etymotic ER4SR by leaky74
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear