or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 69

post #1021 of 37329

S-Logic/S-Logic+ and Dolby Headphone - yay or nay?

Now I"m pretty sure the answer is "yay" due to the various positive impressions I've been reading but I"m just wondering if anybody in this thread has any of their own (in-depth) impressions to share, to help me out and of course to help the rest of the community out when they search on this topic (:

And...still waiting on those FA-011s to be in the hands of more head-fiers + reviewed when it comes to gaming!  Sub$150 bracket could always use more choices/competition.

post #1022 of 37329

I posted this on the AVS forum, but I'll post it here too:

 

Since the Datel/Intec headset mute switch adapter is no longer available, an the next closest thing I've found is this 2.5mm cable that has mute switch puck built in.

http://store.turtlebeach.com/x3x4xboxlivetalkbackcablepuck.aspx

 

Could be useful for those using headphones + mic with a mixamp and want a mute switch close at hand.

post #1023 of 37329

Back when I was a n00b I used my DJ1 Pros out of onboard sound for playing WoW. It was pretty awesome, but I know it would have been so much better if I had my X-Fi back then.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunit View Post

S-Logic/S-Logic+ and Dolby Headphone - yay or nay?

Now I"m pretty sure the answer is "yay" due to the various positive impressions I've been reading but I"m just wondering if anybody in this thread has any of their own (in-depth) impressions to share, to help me out and of course to help the rest of the community out when they search on this topic (:

And...still waiting on those FA-011s to be in the hands of more head-fiers + reviewed when it comes to gaming!  Sub$150 bracket could always use more choices/competition.



 

post #1024 of 37329

Hi!

 

I had the sa5000 which I used mainly for gaming, since when I am at my desk, I am playing, lol!

Anyway, I didn't find it bright. It was the best I had used for gaming, because the sound is neutral, the tight bass makes the sound feel clean, and the extended highs in my opinion are very welcome for gaming. I sold it because I feld it was ridiculous to have such good headphones with a miserable mic. I bought the pc360.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Anyone tried the Sony SA5000 for gaming? bigsmile_face.gif

 

I've always heard they have some similarities to the K702 and it's one headphone that's interested me lately.

Of course I wouldn't buy it for gaming of course..

 

It's probably too bright for me and I don't have a tube amp. I believe I read that's what it likes.

 



 

post #1025 of 37329

Just got my mixamp 5.8 - Am  I being special or is there no way to hook up a seperate headphone and mic?

 

I'm trying to use BeyerDT990 + a Speedlink Mic with the xbox chat cable.

 

I only have the headphone out on the receiver and a controller out - where does the mic go?

post #1026 of 37329

Theres a pink and green y adapter that you use thats included.

post #1027 of 37329

Haha, that will teach me to unbox things properly!  Cheers

post #1028 of 37329

whats a good site/place to buy ad700s from

i live in b.c canada =(

post #1029 of 37329

New member here. I have been a long time AD700/MixAmp user - I recently joined the site and now I have a few toys coming from fellow head-fi'ers: a DT 990 / 250 (2005) and a FiiO E7/E9 set. My question to you head-fi gamer experts is how should I best leverage the E7/E9 with the 360/PS3 (i.e. MixAmp) and my PC (i.e. Xonar DG)? I also have an early '11 MBP which I will be PC gaming on the road with. Any tips are appreciated. Also any re-confirmations that the DT 990 / 250 (2005)s are a good gaming buy (this thread has mentioned them positively several times). :) Thanks.

post #1030 of 37329

The DT 990 / 250 (2005s) are a good gaming buy.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3tch View Post

New member here. I have been a long time AD700/MixAmp user - I recently joined the site and now I have a few toys coming from fellow head-fi'ers: a DT 990 / 250 (2005) and a FiiO E7/E9 set. My question to you head-fi gamer experts is how should I best leverage the E7/E9 with the 360/PS3 (i.e. MixAmp) and my PC (i.e. Xonar DG)? I also have an early '11 MBP which I will be PC gaming on the road with. Any tips are appreciated. Also any re-confirmations that the DT 990 / 250 (2005)s are a good gaming buy (this thread has mentioned them positively several times). :) Thanks.



 

post #1031 of 37329
Thread Starter 
Just because I love you guys, I go out on a limb and try things you guys wouldn't normally do.

So I got my HE-4. Planar magnetic, and ludicrously hard to drive. But will the Mixamp alone drive it loud enough for gaming purposes?

The simple answer is YES! Before you all get excited, its the same situation as the 600ohm Beyers. It will drive it loud, but at times, the sound will clip/distort (mostly when a lot of bass is called for). How often? Less often than the 600ohm Beyers. Probably so infrequently, it wouldn't bother me.

Another thing to note: The Mixamp has to be fully on game, and the volume HAS to be Maxed to get it to where I normally like my volume at. Meaning that absolutely no voice chat can be mixed in.

So how does it perform?

The same thing I said of the DT880 applies to the HE-4. It is a sound whoring headphone that picks up a ridiculous amount of detail. I could hear EVERYTHING.

How is the soundstage? Not so big. But not small. Just about average in terms of open headphones. The PC360, AD700, K701, HD598, DT990 all have a definite advantage.

The soundstage reminds me of the DT880.

Positioning? Hmm, still up in the air. I need more testing, but I feel its mostly like the DT880 again, in that it lacks rear depth. Granted, this is with totally underdriving it with just the Mixamp.

Why would I do this? Because audio fidelity isn't a huge factor in video gaming. What's important is that all audio cueas can be heard. The HE-4 with the Mixamp only still sounds stellar, just not optimal.

For those wondering: the E9 actually drives the HE-4 LOUDER than the Lyr. However, there is a clear difference in body, weight, richness, and thickness to the sound. The E9 is very dry and lacking in emotion compared to the Lyr, which REALLY brings out the music with the HE-4. Does it sound good with the E9? You bet. But it pales when compared to the Lyr. The HE-4 and E9 don't pair up well, nor was it meant to. Orthos need quite a bit of power, and this time I can say the Lyr has proven itself to me, though its strangely not as loud as the E9.

As of right now, I will recommend the HE-4 to everyone who has a powerful amp to drive them. It bears a sonic resemblance to the DT880 and DT990. Midpoint between the two in tone. Bright, but with more mids than both, treble that's clearly superior to both, and bass that comes between the DT880 and DT990 in quantity, and just as good a quality that doesn't come close to messing with the mids.

Bass: 8
Mids: 9
Treble: 10 (for me. It will be too much for those that find the Beyer DT880 too harsh, but its clearly not as sharp as the DT990)

So yes, if you want a DT880 like sound with more bass, more mids, and cleaner treble, the HE-4 will do that, but only with a powerful amp like the Lyr. It has a very clear, very crisp, and very quick sound. Those who want warmth and smoothness will not find it in the HE-4. Its bright and its aggresive. Treble sensitive head-fiers, you will wanna skip it, the same way you skip the Beyers.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/18/11 at 10:15pm
post #1032 of 37329

Ok... So here's what I read...

"My name is MLE, and I decided I'm going to continue my quest to the find the ultimate gaming headphones. Because of this, I'm donating my He-4 to one lucky head-fier. Someone who has been with me through thick and thin. Even more importantly, someone who I'm friends with on facebook. Let's face it, being facebook friends is a big deal. So, without further adieu, I'd like to congratulate dub Beatz on being the lucky recipient of these brand new Hifiman HE-4 orthodynamic headphones. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy you."

 

If you don't believe me, just look at the post I quoted, which clearly shows MLE as the author. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

My name is MLE, and I decided I'm going to continue my quest to the find the ultimate gaming headphones. Because of this, I'm donating my He-4 to one lucky head-fier. Someone who has been with me through thick and thin. Even more importantly, someone who I'm friends with on facebook. Let's face it, being facebook friends is a big deal. So, without further adieu, I'd like to congratulate dub Beatz on being the lucky recipient of these brand new Hifiman HE-4 orthodynamic headphones. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy you.

 


 

 

post #1033 of 37329

lol

post #1034 of 37329
Thread Starter 
XD Dub, why couldn't you be a woman? redface.gif:o
post #1035 of 37329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

XD Dub, why couldn't you be a woman? redface.gif:o


O__O

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)