- 15,262 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
I just bought this headphone and it sound amazing, I did a burn in for about 20hr and the sound improve dramatically compared when the headphone was in the box. The comfort is phenomenal and due to...
Bought one of these to keep me going while I save for a replacement dac for my bedside rig. My previous Dac's have all been in the lower to mid end so this review is based on that level- Arcam,...
Details: Single balanced armature flagship universal IEMs from Final Audio Design Price: Heaven VII EU 550; Heaven VIII EU 600 Specs: Driver: Single BA | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: not...
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015) - Page 796post #11926 of 300032/24/13 at 12:29amThread StarterI've had my eye on the TH-600 since hearing of them, and I actually hope it is a rebadged D7000 or something very much like it. That would be my last headphone. If the D7000 was still around for $600, I would have rebought it (as well as Lawton leather pads for better comfort) and end this.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11927 of 300032/24/13 at 7:18ampost #11928 of 300032/24/13 at 7:43amAugh! AAUGH!
So, the HE-400 is too thick for my tastes. Switching from the E12 after it's battery died to straight out from the iPod's thinner-sounding headphone jack actually seemed to improve the sound a bit, or at least make it less THHHHICK-ah. The bass IS the best part and it does bass very well, but i miss the mids and treble impacts (like cymbals and high-hats) hurt. And now, I'm walking around the house with my ears feeling overly sensitive, picking up annoying buzzes from the dimmer lights and the whine under my ceiling fan. The HE-400 hits the valley of disbelief for me, the color pushes me back from feeling immersed in the music. Gaming was fine last night, in fact I've been having a lot of fun in Reach and doing quite well, but the embodiment of a soundscape is missing, even if I technically hear a sound coming from 2 O'clock or 5 O'clock.
I really wanted to hear the ODAC, I've been tempted to buy my own a few times, but I can't get it working. I'm going to work on it some more today, but I don't think I'll have the chance to do all the testing I'd hoped even if I do get it working.
Edited by Evshrug - 2/24/13 at 8:06ampost #11929 of 300032/24/13 at 8:58amThread StarterUse a different USB cable. The ODAC is picky with cables for some reason.
As for the HE400, sorry it's not for you. It does have fatiguing treble, I don't doubt it, especially when used to the smoother treble on the Qs. Having been used to the Annie, the HE400 gives me ear fatigue now.
You wouldn't like the 990s , Pro 900s, ans other treble happy cans.post #11930 of 300032/24/13 at 9:25amQuote:
No idea, honestly. I haven't heard the 770 pro 32 ohm in over a year, and I only demo'd it. Never heard the 250 or 600 versions. Only closed headphones that I can really compare it to are my cheap monoprices, I'd be the wrong person to ask on that :(post #11931 of 300032/24/13 at 11:21amThread StarterPretty sure the Mad Dogs are THE closed headphone to get at the price range, unless you want something bass heavy on purpose.
I don't have a need for another balanced headphone, so I want my D7000/TH-600 and call it quits.post #11932 of 300032/24/13 at 11:42amQuote:Originally Posted by Evshrug
So, the HE-400 is too thick for my tastes. Switching from the E12 after it's battery died to straight out from the iPod's thinner-sounding headphone jack actually seemed to improve the sound a bit, or at least make it less THHHHICK-ah. The bass IS the best part and it does bass very well, but i miss the mids and treble impacts (like cymbals and high-hats) hurt. And now, I'm walking around the house with my ears feeling overly sensitive, picking up annoying buzzes from the dimmer lights and the whine under my ceiling fan.
Having too much treble and not enough mids is opposite of how I would describe "too thick...."post #11933 of 300032/24/13 at 11:43amThread StarterLol, true. Though the HE-400 does have a very thick sound at least compared to the Q701. Mids aren't forward, but lower mids are pretty linear with the bass.post #11934 of 300032/24/13 at 12:42pmWell the bass dominates, mids are relatively pushed back, and it seems like a fair bit of treble is laid back except where it suddenly spikes up. I COULD see where someone could love this, and like I said it seems made for Massive Attack (lovely rumble), but I felt like it essentially destroyed Janis Joplin's performance by pushing her already recessed vocals back outside of the "music spotlight zone" and into a "backing vocals" area. Funnily enough, Jewel sounded pretty good, but I think the fact that "Gotta Start Feeding Our Souls" is just her singing and one acoustic guitar helped, and the lowest guitar notes really jumped out.
I tried the ODAC with one of the included cables (there were two in the bag) plus two of my own that are known to work with other things (one of them I literally unplugged my wi-fi bridge while it was on and plugged it into the ODAC). I'll dig out the other cable that was packed in the HE's bag, try starting up the computer with it plugged in. I'll also see if I can disable the motherboard's audio in the BIOS, maybe that'll help. I really want to hear the ODAC.post #11935 of 300032/24/13 at 12:48pmThread StarterSounds like a problem with your setup, not the ODAC.
I put it in 3 different setups and it worked just fine in all three. Only my main PC didn't like the first USB cable I used. After that, smooth sailing.post #11936 of 300032/24/13 at 12:50pmQuote:I didn't go to audiophile academy, so I struggle to describe without having mastery of the common description. Honestly, I felt that the bass dominated more than the treble, the bass was so full that everything else struggled to push through it. Sometimes the treble would cut through. Get ready to laugh... It's like you've got 6" thick slab of elastic, taught rubber on one hand, and a slender knife in the other hand, and the mids are ok but not...
Eh, g2g for now.
That's basically what the head of JDS labs said to me when I asked for suggestions. I wish I could use another computer, but the laptop's battery died, ballooned out, and the computer strangely won't run from the AC plug alone. I'll update you once I get it working, one way or another, but I know Calpis is waiting for it... So today is it.
Edited by Evshrug - 2/24/13 at 12:53pmpost #11937 of 300032/24/13 at 12:51pmThread StarterYou're just too used to your tin can AD700s.
The HE-400 has incredibly linear bass that is borderline flat and natural. It's the recessed upper mids and very sharp treble that make it a highly colored headphone.
Though again, the Ad700's have that peaky, bright signature and treble, which may be why you'd consider the HE400's treble not as strong as it's bass. Have to leat your ears adjust. The HE-400 has MUCH more treble than the Q701.
I always say, test the headphones ALONE for a few days, without going back to the others until like day 4. That way you can see what is gained, and what is lost. Constant A/B is not good, especially when the signatures are so different.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/24/13 at 12:54pmpost #11938 of 300032/24/13 at 12:59pmWell, I have been listening to the HE-400 exclusively the past 2 days, before that I'd mostly been listening with the Q701's. I'll ask Calpis if I can listen till Tuesday (which would be a week from when the post office got it to me, though Chico was more quick than I am and mailed it on a Friday), but I know he's probably anxious to form his own opinion and get his ODAC as well.post #11939 of 300032/24/13 at 1:00pm
I didn't feel like the HE400 bass was dominating or pushing anything else out. I thought it was quite in line with the overall sound.
The mids are a little recessed and could use more body and warmth, and the treble is still a little too sparkly for some types of music. Its definitely more balanced sounding than the DT990. The HE400 treble is not as HOT, and the mids aren't as recessed as the DT990.
It's also an exceptionally clear sounding headphone. Just the balance isn't perfect IMO.
...I need to write up my review already!post #11940 of 300032/24/13 at 5:19pm
Got my Annies and Mixamp Pro 2013 in so far.
And wow! I can actually hear footsteps in Black Ops 2 (a game with terrible audio, footsteps wise). This is without even using the Dead Silence and Awareness perks. With those on it would be even better... heh.
The headphones connected straight to my PC are fantastic as well... curious to see how much difference the E9K/E17 combo will make... they are coming in tomorrow.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 19 seconds ago
- › 6.3mm vs 3.5mm Does 6.5mm give better sound quality than 3.5mm plug... 22 seconds ago
- › I just failed the Tidal streaming equipment test!!! 1 minute ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 2 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post... 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 4 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 6 minutes ago
- › Looking for IEM or Full size headphones for roughly 100-400 7 minutes ago
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2