- 116 Posts. Joined 7/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 9/21/14 at 4:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
I bought this in october. I agree with other reviewers, the sound is definitely value for money you can read other reviews for that. However, the build quality is terrible. I took good...
"Low cost champion", "Best in it's own way"... i love the way how things work in this earphone business :) however, please do not worry, vaziyetu here to correct things (again). first of all,...
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015: X2 -partial-, Evshrug's X7 Review added) - Page 1033post #15481 of 293947/29/13 at 10:50pmWhat about the Sony MDR - R1? anyone tried this? Im guessing for gaming, only the X1, 990 Pro, and maybe MA900 are the only oneswith good bass and good sound stage for surround sound?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #15482 of 293947/29/13 at 10:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by kman1211
I really think the Sony MDR-MA900 needs to be added to this review. They are phenomenal for gaming, their soundstage is incredible and very 3D sounding. I honestly think their soundstage is quite a bit better than the Q701s and HD 598s, both of which can sound a bit congested and 2D in comparison.
Are they really better than the Q701's for competitive gaming? Did you A/B compare them or is that based off memory?
Edited by cheuh - 7/30/13 at 1:00ampost #15483 of 293947/29/13 at 10:52pm
I scored the Philips Fidelio X1 headphones a week ago for $237 from Sonicelectronix (they had a coupon code up when I order that took off $12 from their normal price). This is my first set of killer headphones ever and I am shocked each time I use. The sound is simply incredible. Prior to this I had only used Turtle Beach headphones and all I can say is the ones I had from TB were crap compared to these. I have the X1 hooked up to a Mixamp and I cannot believe the sounds I have been missing on my PS3 and 360. They also feel great when I wear them with my glasses.
I am a believer in the X1.post #15484 of 293947/29/13 at 10:58pmThat's a bit of a shame, I would love for Beyer to release an open-back that isn't overly elevated in the treble. I did like the T1 when I heard it but I agree it's a bit bright and tizzy, wouldnt be a headphone I would buy, I cant handle elevated treble for extended periods of time. The T1 was less bright than the HD 800 for me though, which I found rather unpleasant, it didn't sound harsh but it was quite bright and splashy sounding and some reason it gave me ear fatigue in a short amount of time.
I may consider loaning my MA900s out but it will be a while if I do as I'm kind of moving around a good deal until school starts up again.post #15485 of 293947/29/13 at 11:11pmI can't say for sure on the Q701 yet, I am going off memory on them sadly. I could be wrong though. I always had a little trouble truly grasping the Q701s soundstage and imaging properly while with the MA900 I never did. I will be able to compare them properly when i can borrow my friends Q701. I did hear the MA900 vs HD 598 though.post #15486 of 293947/30/13 at 12:57ampost #15487 of 293947/30/13 at 2:06am
You might want to check this thread:
MLE's thread is mainly for console gamers.post #15488 of 293947/30/13 at 4:29ampost #15489 of 293947/30/13 at 4:40amQuote:
Oh no.. i was almost convinced on buying the t90's :p now after reading around a bit more maybe not.. the reviews seem mixed.. some people really love it while others hate it.. maybe i neet to hear it myself..post #15490 of 293947/30/13 at 4:58ampost #15491 of 293947/30/13 at 4:58amThread StarterI mean, trebly headphones don't bother me, but I'm over that phase. So while I love Beyers, they're just not what I look for in sound anymore.post #15492 of 293947/30/13 at 11:15am
Hi Mad Lust,
Thanks for all the great tips and info! Your thread is so useful. I'm a PC gamer and I play alot of competitive FPS games. I've decided to get a pair of Audio-Technica AD700X. Not alot of reviews out yet for this update on the AD700. I'm hoping I don't have any comfort issues. Just gonna have to try them out. I'm going to be feeding them from an ASUS Xonar DGX card and will definitely be using Dolby Headphone for some virtual surround positioning.
Kromaticpost #15493 of 293947/30/13 at 2:47pmKromatic,
I used an AD700 for three years, definitely a special headphone with great value. The downside is poor bass extension, so it sounds fairly lean, but the pluses are accurate, out-of-your-head soundstaging that is one of the best with virtual surround, light weight and low fatigue, and easy clarity to pick up on tactical details while gaming. I actually think it responds well to EQ, I used the bass-boost function with my Recon3D and was really impressed playing Metro: 2033, the scene where the anomaly rumbles past actually seemed bassy and powerful.
I would recommend not being afraid to bend the headband (3 places, in at the center then out flatter at 1/3rds areas) so that the ear cups sit more flush with your head (too wide at stock for most European heads), and maybe trying a hair-tie or medium sized rubber band between the "wings" to increase clamping force. They don't require as much special expensive amping as other headphones.
I think you will be quite impressed.post #15494 of 293947/30/13 at 10:22pm
So it only took me forever, but I finally put up my thread about Marantz receivers with Dolby Headphone processing. I hope it's useful for anyone looking at going the AVR route for DH.post #15495 of 293947/31/13 at 3:01amWith the dss/mix amp, do you have to feed it a Dolby digital (true surround signal) for it to process to Dolby headphone, or can it do it from a stereo source
Because surely optical can only output coded Dolby digital or 2 channel lpcm, so although consoles code output to Dolby digital it wouldn't work on pc unless you're running with Dolby digital live?
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015: X2 -partial-, Evshrug's X7 Review added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition is The Best AK 240 Ever Made like... 8 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 35 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 43 seconds ago
- › Senn HD650 with sparkle and sharp punchy bass 43 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 50 seconds ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 54 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535 BRAND NEW! 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2