Hey guys, I am fairly new to high quality iems and need some advice. I recently was at best buy and bought some ultimate ears 500. Now they also had the s4s for about the same price and I was stuck between the ue's and the s4's. Which one is better. Should i return the Ue's to get the S4s? Thanks guys.
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 1/18/11
- productKlipsch IMAGE S4-WH In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphone, Whitetagged by System, 1/18/11
- productUltimate Ears 500tagged by System, 1/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Seeking Suggestions for In-Ear Headphones Last post on 9/22/11 at 2:00am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Torn between what to buy Last post on 5/28/11 at 9:17am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for a Cheap Pair of In-Ear Headphones for around $20-$60 Last post on 2/26/14 at 12:40pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FutureSonics Atrio MG7 vs Audio technica CKS 77 vs UE 500 Last post on 10/10/12 at 3:29pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Choosing new IEMs, upgrade from Klipsch S4s Last post on 9/11/12 at 5:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Introduction Reviewer Introduction Product Introduction Technical Specifications Sound Quality Signature Overview Sound...
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Overview I purchased these when they first came out during Black Friday in 2016, when they were on sale for $100 CAD. Until these I had mostly spent all of my money on IEMs since they're a lot...
INTRODUCTION Pioneer really surprised me with the new release of the DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I've recently tried out seven headphones that are considered high end and...
Ultimate ears 500 vs Klipsch Image s4
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 261/16/11 at 10:30pmThread Starterpost #3 of 261/16/11 at 10:40pm
The UE500 is pretty new and not many people here own it. Mine hasn't finished burning in but at the moment I'd say it depends on what type of sound you are after. The UE500, like all UE dynamics, doesn't really do anything exceptionally well but if you have to buy at best buy it's probably one of the better things you can grab off the shelf. The S4 has better clarity, more bass, and more treble - if you're into that sort of thing. I like the S4 a better than the UE500 but I'd still only buy it if I was forced to shop brick&mortar.post #4 of 261/17/11 at 5:37am
I bought the UE500s and took them back. They sounded great on my home stereo, but with my clip+ you had to turn the volume up to about 75% to hear anything. Also, the right ear was significantly louder than the left. I guess these UE500s needed an amp. Anyhow, I replaced them with the S4s and it was like night and day. The Klipsch S4s sounded so much better with my clip+. The UE500s sounded great with my home stereo, but with a portable MP3 they were lacking without an amp.post #5 of 261/17/11 at 6:22pmThread Starterpost #6 of 261/17/11 at 6:53pmpost #7 of 261/18/11 at 5:22amQuote:
If they sound good to you on your Classic............keep them.post #8 of 261/18/11 at 6:53pmThread Starterpost #9 of 261/18/11 at 7:02pmpost #10 of 261/19/11 at 10:31pmpost #11 of 261/20/11 at 6:53pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by matto
Don't mean to make it a bit more confusing for you but for $99 you can get the Klipsch Custom 3 shipped from www.adorama.com and I'm sure joker could even recommend these over the S4's or UE500's.
That looks like a great deal, I think I'm going to keep the UE500s though because they are very comfortable and the sound is good, but in the future those definitely look appealing.post #12 of 261/22/11 at 10:56pm
I've had both the UE 500's and the S4's, and IMO, the UE's are significantly better. I'm not really an experienced audiophile, but from what I heard (and confirmed by my dad, who's a bit of an audiophile), the S4's tend to be a lot bassier, and that seemed to make the music sound a bit darker and sort of boomy. The UE's, however, seemed to be a little more balanced maybe, and have less of a v-shaped sound than the Klipsches. I ended up returning the S4's and I'm currently happy with the UE's. Just my two cents, I guess it depends on your tastes.post #13 of 261/23/11 at 3:59amQuote:Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n
I've had both the UE 500's and the S4's, and IMO, the UE's are significantly better. I'm not really an experienced audiophile, but from what I heard (and confirmed by my dad, who's a bit of an audiophile), the S4's tend to be a lot bassier, and that seemed to make the music sound a bit darker and sort of boomy. The UE's, however, seemed to be a little more balanced maybe, and have less of a v-shaped sound than the Klipsches. I ended up returning the S4's and I'm currently happy with the UE's. Just my two cents, I guess it depends on your tastes.
Same here. I do not prefer the sound of the S4. Too bright and sibililant. Unfortunately, burning will not cure this.post #14 of 261/29/11 at 3:28pm
First, let me say how EXCITED I was to find this thread AND this site. I had the S4s last summer and loved the sound quality; but I lost them, and my wife gave me the UE 500s for Christmas.
I'm not an adiophile either, so I can't really comment except to say that I really enjoyed the sound quality of both.
What I WILL say is that the UE 500s had SUPERIOR noise-isolating compared to the S4s...and I say this having NEVER TRIED the Comply tips, which after discovering head-fi.org today I realized I should have (supposed to be both more comfortable AND better noise isolation than silicone tips??).
I'm speaking in the past tense because after using my 500s for a little less than a month I had to return them today. The left side was buzzing in my ear when they were plugged in to the speakers in our living room we use for TV/Wii--it sounded like I'd blown the left earphone, but I had never used it at high volume. I might have STILL kept the pair, but the kicker was that the wire started coming apart right where it meets the jack. To me, that seemed unacceptable given that I'd used them only 4-6 times in the gym and a fair amount on my Vespa.
SOOO...after reading this thread I'm tempted to take the cash from returning the 500s and buy another pair, and just hope that the quaility of the construction is a little better this time. I really want to try out the Comply tips that I never got a change to before.
A few questions tho: has anyone compared the 500s to the 700s or 350s? I like the idea of the 350s being more durable/sweatproof, but they don't include any foam tips. I read a thread on head-fi praising the 700s, but probably can't afford them unless I can get them under $100 (any ideas on if that's possible?).
So right now I'm leaning toward getting a second pair of 500s.
Final question---my brother recently laughed at the idea that earbuds could even COMPETE with big headphones in terms of sound quality. I'm not an audiophile but this made me mad because I love earbuds and don't like the idea that they can only produce crappy sounds. So is he right? Does an $80 pair of earbuds simply not compare to an $80 pair of standard headphones? In my experience, "noise-cancelling" headphones have all been terrible, but I've loved the 500's noise isolation...and like I said, the sound quality was great too.
^ Sorry, I had a lot of pent-up questions and thoughts and it's a real relief to find such a great community like head-fi. Thanks for your repsonses/comments.
Michaelpost #15 of 261/29/11 at 4:14pm
Its all subjective............the S4s sound better TO ME with the type of music I listen to. I prefer bassy IEMs, since I listen to alot of R&B and Hip-Hop.......TO ME the UE iems sounds tiny in comparison with my Mp3 players......both my former clip+ and Sony that I now have.
I dont see how everyone in HF used to praise, but now disses the S4s......... and this IEM wins all the awards?..... top 5 / 10 best IEMs at many, many MP3 and tech websites. I think many here hate, just to hate. I hope Im wrong, but that is the feeling I get. I dont see how an IEM can go from first to worst overnight. On another note, I had someone recommend the UE superfi4s to me last year............they were the worst sounding IEMs TO ME, tons of mids/treble, but no bass. Made all my music sound like a tin can.
Like I said, its subjective. I go by what sounds good TO ME, which everyone should do.
All that being said, I do recommend the S4s personally. Everyone that Ive let listen to them, says they sound great. *shrugs*Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ultimate ears 500 vs Klipsch Image s4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 35 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - Newer Thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA Forza Series: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › IEM for under 400€ 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones vs Speakers -- an Inconvenient Truth 2 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 2 minutes ago
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear