Im looking to buy my first set of mid price cans. Ive heard Sennheiser 280 Pros that a friend has and liked them ok. I own a set of Westone UM2s that I like and use as IEMs for live music performance, but wouldn't mind some more low end extension and clarity in the upper mids and highs.
So what Im looking for:
- clean, detailed sound, but not low end shy (Im a bass player, so I like my lows to be tight and punchy, but well represented)
- a nice open soundstage as they'll be used for mixing and in the studio as well as just normal music listening.
- Comfy (the 280 Pros felt just fine to me) I ride hours on end on a tour bus so I need something that I can wear for a while
- Id like some isolation. From what Ive read, isolation and bass response go hand in hand, so Im pretty sure Im looking for a closed set
- max price of ~125 unless a few more bucks will get me something far better
As far as style of music goes, I listen to literally everything from Top 40 stuff to black gospel to all types of rock.
What Ive looked at and would like comments on specifically:
Senn. HD 280 Pro and 595
Ultrasone Pro 550
Audio Technica ATH A700 and M50