Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beats by dre Pro Indepth review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beats by dre Pro Indepth review

post #1 of 99
Thread Starter 

Hello again, Head-fiers and alike.

 

This will be the first review and measurement test of the Beats pro with a proper look for what makes it thick or thin.

 

As the Beats by Dre Pro was my headphone of choice to bring to the lab for the first test, expect other headphones to get the same treatment later.

 

Package

 

They came in a standar beats package the day I got them as there are many other reviews and Clips showing off.

 

A List of things featured to be found of their website includes:

 

Beats by dre pro headphone Monster cable headphone cable with Coil (extends from 1.8 meters to 2.1)
3.5 milimeter to 6.35 milimeter TSR connector Touring soft case (opposed to hardcase studios)
Microfiber cloth All round sturdy package

 

Comfort

 

A thing to adress is that these are very depending on the size of the users ear it seems.

Their circular shape was a pretty bad choice for all around comfort level, as were the increased ear cup foam density too it seems, due to the hardness of the earpiece.

 

If your ears have a tad too large size, the edge of the stiched area in the middle of the cups will put quite abit of pressure against your ear. To boot, the edge itself may also cause some friction in the area due to the headphone not sitting on and being prone to move some.

 

Design & construction

 

They are considerably more sturdy than the studios were due to them being more tightly fit into eachothers parts, and having an almost all aluminium construction.

 

Also the headphone sport a Dual input/output desing wich seems kinda odd due to the fact that chaining together several headphones from one source seems to not look very well on the satisfactory fidelity and sound pressure level in output against single headphone audio preformance.

 

They also sport no active noise cancellation nor any built in Class D amplifier that the studios had.

 

A Rotatable earcup was also added due to them being marketed for Pro or Dj applications, although I have to say the feature doesn't work as well as it was seemingly intended to.

 

Sound measurement and listening

 

As the most important part of the review, the Beats by dre pro was measured and listened to on various equipment.

 

_DSC0064.JPG

This is the Tektronix two channel digital phosphor oscilloscope with the beats pro on a Square wave test. (All were done between 50-5000hz)

 

_DSC0065.JPG

Same as before but with some damping done to the earcup wich resulted in a little improvement only.

 

_DSC0070.JPG

Here is the Sine wave generator that was used for this test.

 

_DSC0074.JPG

Here is the microphone used wich was a Omnidirectional Abacus
Arta 80 audio analyser with pressure applied around the earcup due to its working standars.

 

To start with the frequency respones as opposed to the studios was still quite similar but with a revelation of something not many would like.

 

Looking at them

iconGraph.php?graphID=1383

Studios courtesy of headroom

 

0,1425,i=242538&sz=1,00.jpg

Beats pro courtesy of Pcmag, as is the graph under with their associated others measured.

 

0,1425,i=242539&sz=1,00.jpg

(Wonder how the pro became so different between each test and how controlled it was)

 

Our measurment were somewhat in between the two show by Pcmag.

 

We started of at 20hz as a reference point wich in comparsion to the test done by headroom would be starting with measurment at 10db+ from their 0 point.

 

As it was, the headphone were fairly even from 20hz to 160hz were it started to drop by -1,5db. At 320hz that gap was pushed towards the double at -3db. Following that came a downfall by -4.4db at 640hz wich went down to -5,2db at 905hz and culminated at 1280hz with -7.4db. After that it went towards the referenc point of +-0db at 2770hz as of our measurement. After that it dropped down by -6.5db by 3760hz with a reach towards the sky again by -0.92db at 4650hz. Falling again occured at 4960hz by -8.52db and another change at 7240hz made it back towards -6db. At 8000hz it was about -6.47db and 10,24khz revealed the biggest drop yet by -10,7db and after that it went so bad that it became practically dead at 14khz.(Note the 10db difference as mentioned above)

 

A rollercoaster like that migh be fun to ride but listening to it certainly was not pleasant by any means..

 

Also by looking at the square wave response in the picture above and compairing it to this

graphCompare.php?graphType=4&graphID[]=1383

(This and the picture of the oscilloscope is the subject of matter)

 

This is a more detailed set of accurate measurement made by Tyll hertsen of Innerfidelity.com

 

Also another much more correct measurement by Tyll on the studios for comparsion.

 

It was pretty strange how the succeded with making even wider gaps between the not especially fast response for either of them.

 

Also to note is that monster did not provide any impedance spec for the headphone but it could be safe to say that in relation to headphones like Denon ah-d5000, the beats pro were about 20 ohms with different resistance incorporated.

 

To sum the things up, listening to the headphone was done also.

Equipments used was a desktop computer with settings as to make the path as clean as possible with associated Focusrite Saffire DAC run through Foobar2k in Asio and a custom built amplifier as well as the Argon HA-1 "class-A" headphone amplifier and a Micromega cd player.(All of these were used in various combiations with some other pieces then and then)

 

Listening to things like The McIntosh Audio espectacular reference disc 24bit/96khz with tracks like

Antonio Vivaldis Four Seasons Concerto in E Major RV 269 Spring Allegro and Zoltan Kodalys Duo for violin and Cello Op. 7 Allegro Serioso non troppo showed the lack of transparency in a very immideate way that most people would notice no matter if comparing to cheaper,similar priced and high end headphones made by some of the companies that are liked here on head-fi.

 

For testing out the sheer speed of the transducer I followed up with Aphex twins Bucephalus bouncing ball wich contains very fast transient shifts and many sudden great dynamic changes in it, clearly showed a great lack of speed and a heavy overbearing low end together with a top that were pretty oblivious to any sort of musicality nor exactness.

 

Other acts with Pianos,Violins,Drums,synthetic bass followed by tracks recorded live and tracks very well listened to I found nothing at all that really could give any hope to this headphone in anyway.

 

Conclusion

 

The soundsignature could very well be described as muddy with overbearing low end even more than the studios already had.

After all monster outdid themselves with a product with No class D amplifier Nor noise cancellation and a higher price that fell lower than the already low standar the studios had. Even if the recordings were done in such a way as to have instruments or synthesized to sound more or less at certain frequencys, the beats fell short no matter what I tried.

 

Hereby for anyone who were having a modicum of hope for monster bigger headphones, I wouldn't give much for looking at them again even though they had made mediocre headphones.


Edited by Deadmeat20 - 7/28/12 at 10:34am
post #2 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat20 View Post

Conclusion

 

The soundsignature could very well be described as muddy with overbearing low end even more than the studios already had.

After all monster outdid themselves with a product with No class D amplifier Nor noise cancellation and a higher price that fell lower than the already low standar the studios had. Even if the recordings were done in such a way as to have instruments or synthesized to sound more or less at certain frequencys, the beats fell short no matter what I tried.

 

Hereby for anyone who were having a modicum of hope for monster bigger headphones, I wouldn't give much for looking at them again even though they had made mediocer headphones.


So you went through all that so that you could come to the same conclusion 99% of the people here have already made. The other 1% are deaf so they don't really matter.

post #3 of 99
At least he gas a method
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat20 View Post

Conclusion

 

The soundsignature could very well be described as muddy with overbearing low end even more than the studios already had.

After all monster outdid themselves with a product with No class D amplifier Nor noise cancellation and a higher price that fell lower than the already low standar the studios had. Even if the recordings were done in such a way as to have instruments or synthesized to sound more or less at certain frequencys, the beats fell short no matter what I tried.

 

Hereby for anyone who were having a modicum of hope for monster bigger headphones, I wouldn't give much for looking at them again even though they had made mediocer headphones.


So you went through all that so that you could come to the same conclusion 99% of the people here have already made. The other 1% are deaf so they don't really matter.

post #4 of 99

Great initiative, I wanted to read a review on these and it pretty much confirmed it's not even worth testing in a store if I see one. Also this thread was very useful to me in the sense I finally saw a frequency on the D1100 and it pretty much confirms my big complaint about them, the recessed mids.

post #5 of 99

they are obviously rediculously overpriced. my shure dj headphones probably sound better and tehy were less then 1/2 the price. monster is obviously playing people as idiots and the people are falling for it. when will this madness end.

post #6 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat20 View Post

Conclusion

 

The soundsignature could very well be described as muddy with overbearing low end even more than the studios already had.

After all monster outdid themselves with a product with No class D amplifier Nor noise cancellation and a higher price that fell lower than the already low standar the studios had. Even if the recordings were done in such a way as to have instruments or synthesized to sound more or less at certain frequencys, the beats fell short no matter what I tried.

 

Hereby for anyone who were having a modicum of hope for monster bigger headphones, I wouldn't give much for looking at them again even though they had made mediocer headphones.


So you went through all that so that you could come to the same conclusion 99% of the people here have already made. The other 1% are deaf so they don't really matter.



Because he's not blindly stating that they suck. Wait, class D amp in the headphones...?


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post

they are obviously rediculously overpriced. my shure dj headphones probably sound better and tehy were less then 1/2 the price. monster is obviously playing people as idiots and the people are falling for it. when will this madness end.



Never? Unless legitimate headphone companies advertise as aggressively as heavily as Monster, against Monster products, people will always be getting them because that's what they're told to do.

 

That being said, I still think they're fine, just not great. I mean sure, they have bloated bass, but that's probably fixable with some modding (did you notice the cups resonate a bit?) but they work almost as well amped on a DAP, and that's probably one of their few redeeming qualities. But for $400, they're speaking blasphemies when you can get the DX1000 for only bit more.

post #7 of 99

Let us sticky this to link to the new guys when they ask about the Beats.

post #8 of 99

I don't think that putting them on my ears, listening to music through them and making the conclusion that Beats are a POS is blindly stating they suck. I don't need a bunch of testing equipment to tell me they are crap. I have eyes and ears...that's all I need.

 

But I guess to the ones that need the "scientific" proof...well...here it is.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post


Because he's not blindly stating that they suck. 


 

post #9 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub Beatz View Post

Let us sticky this to link to the new guys when they ask about the Beats.



I would love this, but you know...new people don't exactly search or even look at front-page threads.

post #10 of 99


Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 I finally saw a frequency on the D1100 and it pretty much confirms my big complaint about them, the recessed mids.

 

You did not research this before you bought them?
 

post #11 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croozer View Post


Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 I finally saw a frequency on the D1100 and it pretty much confirms my big complaint about them, the recessed mids.

 

You did not research this before you bought them?
 


D1100 was so new when I got them there wasn't any reviews around except for one here on head-fi and some random comments here and there. I didn't expect any really superb mids but wasn't expecting it to be THAT bad. XB500 has so much better mids. Mids aren't my only gripe about them though.

post #12 of 99

Measurements! Subscribed.

post #13 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer View Post

I don't think that putting them on my ears, listening to music through them and making the conclusion that Beats are a POS is blindly stating they suck. I don't need a bunch of testing equipment to tell me they are crap. I have eyes and ears...that's all I need.

 

But I guess to the ones that need the "scientific" proof...well...here it is.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post


Because he's not blindly stating that they suck. 


 


I wasn't implying you were in that group. tongue_smile.gif

post #14 of 99

I had a guy tell me that "even audiophiles say the Beats have flawless SQ", I asked him to expose these frauds.

post #15 of 99

thanks for putting all that effort in reviewing this relatively new Monster headphone.(^_^)

I hope those newbies considering this headphone can understand the graphs though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beats by dre Pro Indepth review