Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why are brands like Beats and skullcandy so popular and widely regarded as the "best" headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why are brands like Beats and skullcandy so popular and widely regarded as the "best" headphones? - Page 2

post #16 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat28037 View Post

Marketing, marketing, marketing. Most people don't think beyond what the manufacturer tells them Beats are the best because Monster says so. Skullcandy is the best because the Skullcandy marketing department advertises they are. After all, they wouldn't lie, would they? Their target audience are sheep when it comes to buying stuff. Tell them it's the best and they believe it. There should be some kind of class in High School about "getting the most for your hard earned money".Believing advertising rolls over to a lot of things. Look at all the 4 wheel drive soccer Mom driven SUVs on the road. The only time 99.99% of those behemoths see "off the road" is when Mom cuts the corner backing out of the driveway and drives across the lawn. They don't need a 4 wheel drive SUV but Ford & Chevy said they did. (this is me stepping off my soap box).


I've said this on many occasions. I'd expand it to advertising and social psychology in general. Fact is, there are people who are going to try to sell you something. It could be a political or social viewpoint, a product, or something intangible like an image. They're not going to tell you that they're trying to manipulate you. It's up to you to recognize this and resist, if you figure it's something you don't want. Unfortunately most people are terrible at this sort of thing. I've been skeptical of advertising for a very long time, but that's because I was taught to be so. If advertisers/politicians/etc. are going to use what social psychology has taught us about human nature, then at least people should be taught how it works, too, so they can defend themselves. It's only fair.

post #17 of 115

Marketing, marketing, marketing.

 

This is the case in pretty much any industry out there.  The one's on the shelves at your local B&M are rarely the best thing you can get for your money.  Most people don't know or care.

post #18 of 115

I'm not actually trying to dis Swiss watches in general, what I meant was like watches with tourbillons that can cost as much as a Ferrari; they may be considered as pieces of Art and can totally justify the cost because of the workmanship involved in making them, but the basic purpose of a watch is to tell time accurately, in that case, a $20 digital watch can probably do the same job or better. In the same sense, the Beats were costly not because of their sound quality, but more because of the look, so if people think they are worth it, I guess they are as long they don'y try to tell everyone how good they sound. I know many people who actually bought the Beats as fashion accessories rather than for their SQ. wink.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiofan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post

Well, why do so many people buy Swiss watches that cost thousands of dollars that don't tell time as accurate as a $20 digital watch? You tell me. wink.gif


Haha well I was going to make a similar post from a differenct angle, many people tout Rolex and Tag to be the best watches but people who actually know watches would be able to rattle off 10 brands that use better movements and quality in general. This happens with every indusrty there are so called premium products for the masses and then there are premium products for the professionals and enthusiasts. 

post #19 of 115


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post

I'm not actually trying to dis Swiss watches in general, what I meant was like watches with tourbillons that can cost as much as a Ferrari; they may be considered as pieces of Art and can totally justify the cost because of the workmanship involved in making them, but the basic purpose of a watch is to tell time accurately, in that case, a $20 digital watch can probably do the same job or better. In the same sense, the Beats were costly not because of their sound quality, but more because of the look, so if people think they are worth it, I guess they are as long they don'y try to tell everyone how good they sound. I know many people who actually bought the Beats as fashion accessories rather than for their SQ. wink.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiofan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post

Well, why do so many people buy Swiss watches that cost thousands of dollars that don't tell time as accurate as a $20 digital watch? You tell me. wink.gif


Haha well I was going to make a similar post from a differenct angle, many people tout Rolex and Tag to be the best watches but people who actually know watches would be able to rattle off 10 brands that use better movements and quality in general. This happens with every indusrty there are so called premium products for the masses and then there are premium products for the professionals and enthusiasts. 


 


Are you sure?, I can't seem to justify my the cost of my Patek Phillipe or Omega. They are pretty much status symbols just like the beats, its the thing thats in, the thing thats cool, people buy it to fit in, have you noticed everyone at a yacht club has a rolex?

post #20 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslike View Post

...have you noticed everyone at a yacht club has a rolex?

 

I'm usually too busy trying to remember my alias and pulling my suit jacket back to make it look tailored.

post #21 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post


Well, why do so many people buy Swiss watches that cost thousands of dollars that don't tell time as accurate as a $20 digital watch? You tell me. wink.gif




 

Because they have personality and you really don't need that much accuracy in a timepiece.

Also, you don't have to spend all that much. On my wrist is an old Zenith, probably made in the late 40s or early 50s. It's a 19J handwound. I think I paid around $200 for it. It stays within about 120 seconds a month. What I like most is that it is understated and classic. That's almost impossible to find in modern offerings.

Anyhow, people like Bose and Skullcandy because they don't know about the alternatives. If everyone had the wealth of information that's here, they'd buy better headphones.
post #22 of 115

Where is trollface.jpg when you need it?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwrymen View Post

Zenith is USSR clock, you know?


 

Anyway, doesn't anyone find it funny that Beats actually lack in sub-bass frequencies.  Seriously, they lack bass extension.  I wonder what a Beats buyer would say if they listened to a Beyerdynamic 770...

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2231&graphID[]=1383

post #23 of 115

The same reason we elect people to public office who have no intention of serving our interests.  Marketing...  The glossy surface carries much more weight than the often murky area that is one's own judgment of what something really is.  And the glossy surface can be anything with the right words and imagery. 

post #24 of 115

I really dont care, what brand it is as long as i get brain liquifying bass.....  and that I cant hear anything but the music!  darthsmile.gif

post #25 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat28037 View Post

Marketing, marketing, marketing.


Don't forget marketing.

post #26 of 115

I really object to the phrase 'widely regarded'. Will Ferrell seems to be 'widely regarded' to be a very funny actor/comedian - with the exception of 'Step Brothers', I have found his efforts to be about as funny as cot death.

 

As pointed out, its all about marketing. Occasionally marketing will coincide with good technology, but that will have very little to do with the people doing the marketing - the hallmark of their craft is the ability to create something from next-to-nothing. If Hyundai ever hope to have a 'Lexus', they will need the spin doctors.

post #27 of 115
Thread Starter 



I object to the notion that Will Ferrell isn't hilarious.  With the exception of a few movies, he has been in so many classics.   And I found Step Brothers to be epic. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

I really object to the phrase 'widely regarded'. Will Ferrell seems to be 'widely regarded' to be a very funny actor/comedian - with the exception of 'Step Brothers', I have found his efforts to be about as funny as cot death.

  

post #28 of 115

So what happens if Will Ferrel starts wearing Skull Candies while wearing a rolex???

post #29 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat28037 View Post
 There should be some kind of class in High School about "getting the most for your hard earned money".


coming from someone on an audiophile site that is terribly ironic.

post #30 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnSmith View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat28037 View Post
 There should be some kind of class in High School about "getting the most for your hard earned money".


someone on an audiophile site that is terribly ironic.

...XDD....in most people's eyes, we're insane for wasting so much money
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why are brands like Beats and skullcandy so popular and widely regarded as the "best" headphones?