Just nabbed me a pair of these babies from a local store for $150 which seemed like a decent price. On my first listen boy was i impressed! I've tried many cans for hip hop over the years beats by dre, sync by 50, soul by ludacris, sol republic, monster plus many others and these surpass them all. Seeing as I've never heard Ultrasone cans before i played it safe and went for the cheaper model, if these keep impressing me i'm definitely going back to get a higher end model! A lot of the reviews say the s-logic takes some getting used to but personally it sounded fine from my first listen, a very nice, wide soundstage considering its a closed can. These german headphone companies keep impressing me over and over again!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 2/3/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 2/3/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/18/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/18/11
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 2/3/11
- brandUltrasonetagged by System, 1/18/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 1/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- post buying questions for m50 Last post on 5/25/11 at 7:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones better than the Beats by Dr. Dre? Last post on 12/17/12 at 9:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Perfect Headphones (Opinions Needed) Last post on 12/23/12 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choose :) Last post on 12/11/12 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones For Korean Pop Last post on 2/16/12 at 1:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is a review of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was sent to me by Cambridge Audio in the UK as a loaner for the purpose of doing this...
HiFiMAN RE-00 Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Massdrop for the loaner. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/823483/hifiman-re-00-earphone-review-by-mark2410 Brief: OMFG...
This review won't be too detailed, just a vote of respect for such a fine pair of headphones. I tend to like warm toned headphones, rather than purely neutral sets, and the Philips Fidelio X2 has...
The NAD VISO HP50 could have been a truly outstanding headphone. They produced a set with great sound, with a marvelous midrange, bass when it is called for in the music and highs that do not...
Philips SHP8000 40mm Dynamic Semi Open Full-size Headphones 10/21/2016 This ends up being an import only, semi-open, full-size around-ear headphone, priced at about $80.00...
FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread) - Page 45post #661 of 6772/27/14 at 5:37pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #662 of 6779/14/14 at 6:01ampost #663 of 6779/17/14 at 6:13ampost #664 of 6779/17/14 at 6:52amThe only problem with comfort is the pad material. They are made of fake leather so they make your ears feel hot after a while (1hr~). The pads also contact your ears, which can get annoying. If you can find good replacements then comfort is a non-issue imo.
Clamping force is adequate. Not too clampy but good enough for portable use.post #665 of 67710/10/14 at 2:15pmQuote:
I picked up a pair of used DJ1's while back but wasn't overly impressed with the sound and certainly not with the comfort. The other day I put some Brainwavz HM5 velour pads on them and man what a change. The HM5 pads are very comfortable and the sound is much more balanced with a very good soundstage. Maybe worth a try.......post #666 of 67712/7/14 at 7:17am
I've been lurking on Head-Fi for many years and I appreciate all of the commentary you guys provide. It has been invaluable to me over the years in learning everything headphones, and also how to appreciate sound and music on a whole new level. Thank you.
SO... after about 6 years of heavy usage on my HFI-580, the wire -- actually probably the left cup connector -- has died.
I knew it would happen eventually. Considering the sheer amount of hours I've logged on them, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner! Goes to show the good quality of Ultrasone headphones.
My question to you is: what is the easiest (or best) way of re-cabling the HFI-580?
Would you recommend simply taking it to a shop somewhere, or is it an easy enough fix that I could do at home? What's the general cost of having a shop fix it?
Also; anyone know the general price range of a new cable? Any reputable brands or types that you'd recommend?
And just so you know, I would NOT prefer to outright buy new headphones (yet)... UNLESS the cost of fixing the cable would end up being more than the current price of the 580.
This baby is well worn-in and I definitely 100% noticed a burn-in effect, especially over the first year. Moreover, it's gotten even better as the years pass... so I really don't want to have to restart that whole process.
Any info very much appreciated! I know you'll guide me in the right direction.
Thankspost #667 of 67712/17/14 at 10:12pm
It's been a few years but man, I'm rediscovering the potential of the HFI 580 and modding.
These headphones are so close to being fricking fricking awesome, but I always felt the mids to be a bit too hot and with a need of a bit more soundstage.
I think I've been able to rectify these problems at the moment
It's a fairly #SchittyMod by all means, but it works quite well
But basically, if you look to the right pad for a moment. You'll see that I used cardboard and plumped up the height of the pads to create ear room. This put a bit of water on the mids and also increased soundstage. Bass impact was also better.
But then I decided to put some dampening foam in there since there was room. I had a leftover mattress pad that was pretty ripped up and useless for its original function. I spent 10 minutes shaving off pieces of it until it became thin enough to fit the 580 and without dampening too much. It's between 5mm to 1cm right now and it works quite welll.
I honestly dig this so much more.post #668 of 67712/14/15 at 7:58pm
For anyone interested, I just posted my first headphone review ever.
It's about the HFI-780 and can be found on the HFI-780 Appreciation thread. Lots of comparisons between my long beloved 580's and the new set of 780's.
Enjoy!post #669 of 6778/17/16 at 11:27ampost #670 of 6779/12/16 at 7:22ampost #671 of 6779/12/16 at 7:44ampost #672 of 6779/12/16 at 8:00ampost #673 of 6779/12/16 at 12:20pmpost #674 of 6779/22/16 at 12:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by Farelistic
MIDS: As the burn in process and listening has continued, I've noticed a certain lack of fullness in the mids when listening to certain songs (Somewhere in the more mainstream rock genre - Cartel, Boyslikegirls, old Blink, Anberlin, My American Heart, The Ataris, etc.) Although these are still spectacular phones, I specifically notice this weakness when I listen to Paramore. It seems to be particularly effective in songs foundationally built on power chords. On the other hand, the problem seems to be somewhat remedied depending on the original song's mix; The Ataris - Boys of the Summer and This Providence's Beautiful sound fine. Ultimately, as I am running my HFI's straight out of either my MB or iPhone 4, hopefully my later purchase of an iBasso D4 amp/DAC will remedy this issue.
On a sidenote, this issue doesn't affect how AMAZING Hans Zimmer sounds on my cans =]
Have you listened to the Interstellar soundtrack?? Put a good set on and its unreal!
- FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 35 seconds ago
- › can anyone intro me to a cable maker? need one for my audeze sine 52 seconds ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation 57 seconds ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 1 minute ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Setting up a Schiit stack with my computer / headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP60 2 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Sony MDRXB400/BLU Extra Bass Over The Head 30 mm Driver Headphone,... by InternPrimas
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone by InternPrimas
- › Panasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitor by Kerry56
- › Chord&Major 01'16 Electric Tonal Earphone by Cinder
- › Cowon PM2-128SL Plenue M2 PM2 High Resolution Music Player 128GB... by twister6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...