Just nabbed me a pair of these babies from a local store for $150 which seemed like a decent price. On my first listen boy was i impressed! I've tried many cans for hip hop over the years beats by dre, sync by 50, soul by ludacris, sol republic, monster plus many others and these surpass them all. Seeing as I've never heard Ultrasone cans before i played it safe and went for the cheaper model, if these keep impressing me i'm definitely going back to get a higher end model! A lot of the reviews say the s-logic takes some getting used to but personally it sounded fine from my first listen, a very nice, wide soundstage considering its a closed can. These german headphone companies keep impressing me over and over again!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 2/3/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 2/3/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/18/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/18/11
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 2/3/11
- brandUltrasonetagged by System, 1/18/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 1/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- post buying questions for m50 Last post on 5/25/11 at 7:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones better than the Beats by Dr. Dre? Last post on 12/17/12 at 9:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Perfect Headphones (Opinions Needed) Last post on 12/23/12 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choose :) Last post on 12/11/12 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones For Korean Pop Last post on 2/16/12 at 1:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread) - Page 45post #661 of 6672/27/14 at 5:37pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #662 of 6679/14/14 at 6:01ampost #663 of 6679/17/14 at 6:13ampost #664 of 6679/17/14 at 6:52amThe only problem with comfort is the pad material. They are made of fake leather so they make your ears feel hot after a while (1hr~). The pads also contact your ears, which can get annoying. If you can find good replacements then comfort is a non-issue imo.
Clamping force is adequate. Not too clampy but good enough for portable use.post #665 of 66710/10/14 at 2:15pmQuote:
I picked up a pair of used DJ1's while back but wasn't overly impressed with the sound and certainly not with the comfort. The other day I put some Brainwavz HM5 velour pads on them and man what a change. The HM5 pads are very comfortable and the sound is much more balanced with a very good soundstage. Maybe worth a try.......post #666 of 66712/7/14 at 7:17am
I've been lurking on Head-Fi for many years and I appreciate all of the commentary you guys provide. It has been invaluable to me over the years in learning everything headphones, and also how to appreciate sound and music on a whole new level. Thank you.
SO... after about 6 years of heavy usage on my HFI-580, the wire -- actually probably the left cup connector -- has died.
I knew it would happen eventually. Considering the sheer amount of hours I've logged on them, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner! Goes to show the good quality of Ultrasone headphones.
My question to you is: what is the easiest (or best) way of re-cabling the HFI-580?
Would you recommend simply taking it to a shop somewhere, or is it an easy enough fix that I could do at home? What's the general cost of having a shop fix it?
Also; anyone know the general price range of a new cable? Any reputable brands or types that you'd recommend?
And just so you know, I would NOT prefer to outright buy new headphones (yet)... UNLESS the cost of fixing the cable would end up being more than the current price of the 580.
This baby is well worn-in and I definitely 100% noticed a burn-in effect, especially over the first year. Moreover, it's gotten even better as the years pass... so I really don't want to have to restart that whole process.
Any info very much appreciated! I know you'll guide me in the right direction.
Thankspost #667 of 66712/17/14 at 10:12pm
It's been a few years but man, I'm rediscovering the potential of the HFI 580 and modding.
These headphones are so close to being fricking fricking awesome, but I always felt the mids to be a bit too hot and with a need of a bit more soundstage.
I think I've been able to rectify these problems at the moment
It's a fairly #SchittyMod by all means, but it works quite well
But basically, if you look to the right pad for a moment. You'll see that I used cardboard and plumped up the height of the pads to create ear room. This put a bit of water on the mids and also increased soundstage. Bass impact was also better.
But then I decided to put some dampening foam in there since there was room. I had a leftover mattress pad that was pretty ripped up and useless for its original function. I spent 10 minutes shaving off pieces of it until it became thin enough to fit the 580 and without dampening too much. It's between 5mm to 1cm right now and it works quite welll.
I honestly dig this so much more.
- FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 46 seconds ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 3 minutes ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 3 minutes ago
- › Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs 3.0. Free shipping in CON U.S. 5 minutes ago
- › WHO ARE THE BEST LOOKING PEOPLE ON EARTH? 5 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio "Pro" desktop line discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › CRYO UP-OCC 3.5"-3.5" Interconnect 6 minutes ago
- › AWEI ES-900i Headset Earphones Speakers with Mic for Smart Phone -... by mrplt
- › AKG K712 Pro by KopaZ
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by twister6
- › FiiO E09K by Chuck Canada
- › Noble Audio Savant by uchihaitachi
- › RHA T10i by zim2411
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by ardacer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2