Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR xb1000? NEw? OMG
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR xb1000? NEw? OMG - Page 33

post #481 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassheadspl View Post


An amplifier is certainly required to get the most out of the 70mm drivers used in the XB1000. Due to the drivers being so large for headphones, they require lots of power to work to their full potential. Its seems you were powering them from a mp3 player of some sort without a amplifier because you say that the XB500 are much more superior. Well let me tell you that the reason why to your ears is because the XB500 don't really need an amp because of smaller 40mm drivers, so they sound better if compared against the XB1000.

+1

post #482 of 495

I will only add this

 

XB1000= COOL!

I paired it with a Bravo Audio Ocean Amp - changed 12au7 (Shuguang to Phillips (older model)

As I play it more and more, WOW factor +++++++ I was initially disappointed

 

Something odd just happened after 50 plus hours. There is strange sensation. You feel "air" going back and forth from drivers to eardrum and back.

 

Honestly, to be in 2013, and have a pair like these available is a treat. Is there better out there? YES, I'm sure there is. However, I am really glad I took the risk of ordering these from Japan, waiting a looooooooooong time (almost went MAD) and now having a club attached to my head!

 

Did recommended mods (paper behind driver) and thin foam covering driver. Woot WooT! Feeelin the bass mates!


Edited by SHAMuuu - 9/26/13 at 8:19pm
post #483 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMuuu View Post
 

I will only add this

 

XB1000= COOL!

I paired it with a Bravo Audio Ocean Amp - changed 12au7 (Shuguang to Phillips (older model)

As I play it more and more, WOW factor +++++++ I was initially disappointed

 

Something odd just happened after 50 plus hours. There is strange sensation. You feel "air" going back and forth from drivers to eardrum and back.

 

Honestly, to be in 2013, and have a pair like these available is a treat. Is there better out there? YES, I'm sure there is. However, I am really glad I took the risk of ordering these from Japan, waiting a looooooooooong time (almost went MAD) and now having a club attached to my head!

 

Did recommended mods (paper behind driver) and thin foam covering driver. Woot WooT! Feeelin the bass mates!

 

what is the disappointment with these. I have read many places and its not quite clear. Is it that the sound isn't clear or the bass is weak. 

 

How does the bass compare to something like a momentum or something or an hd650.

post #484 of 495

To get the best out of them, yes, but I wouldn't say an amp is outright required to enjoy them.  I'm using them with just computers/iPods with software EQing and I'm already impressed.

 

 I have a Z02 and it didn't change the sound of my XB1000s any more than I could through EQ.  Any suggestions for a good bass-centric portable amp for them?  I want to see how far I can push these.

 

I own the XB500, XB700, and XB1000, and out of the three my favorite is absolutely the XB1000, the soundstage is much better than the XB500 and XB700.  The XB1000 focuses most on sub-bass, and out of the box there is less mid-bass than the XB500 and XB700, but I've been able to EQ the mid-bass to XB500 levels.  I agree with the comments stating that it sounds like a nightclub, the vast soundstage makes music sound like it's coming from around you rather than from speakers near your ears, highs sound much more natural than the XB500 and XB700, and you feel the sub-bass more than you hear it.


Edited by ajnauron - 10/1/13 at 2:58am
post #485 of 495

^fiio e12

post #486 of 495

Just needs a good amp. Some patience to "burn-in" and if feelin brave, perform the 2 mods.

 

I was disappointed initially because of the hype, you expect it to sound like 2 KICKER SOLO X 18" strapped to your head, but thats unrealisic. However, clean BASS TEST (for headphones) show what this beast can do. Often, its the music file not having undistorted clean bass. If the track is clean, it will play it beautifully.

 

It's worthwhile methinks to get. I mighty happy with them!

post #487 of 495

I think what I like most about my XB1000, after the comfort, is the fact that it's almost like you are not wearing headphones. It feels like you have a real sub. There is not way too much bass I think, of course there is a lot :P But the thing is that it just sounds like you are in a room and listen to a good stereo system with a sub, calibrated.

I have other headphones for gaming, but you "know" you are listening to headphones. Both due to sound, as well as lack of comfort.

post #488 of 495

Does anyone know where to get replacement ear pads for the XB1000?

post #489 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

^fiio e12


These are like many headphones out of box that don't meet expectations. They need the break in time and paired with a decent amp. Mids can be adjusted with equalizers on computer or mp3.

 

My disappointment was the BASS wasn't earth shattering, but that was just plugged into my laptop. In time, the BASS is amazing IMO.

 

Tried McKinley amp. Not bad. Bravo Ocean. Once amp broke in, AMAZING!

 

Did mods (heart rate will elevate, need steady hands), and played the hell out of them (leave them and go do stuff as they broke in)

 

Final Result: 90s never sounded so good. I stick to my "club attached to my head" statement. A must for any collection! I have 6 pairs, but I have these on more often than not. My V-Moda LP2s have been getting less and less. Shure (440,dj750) once in a blue moon. Numark Electrowave and Fanny Wangs 2k, almost never now.

 

GET EM!


Edited by SHAMuuu - 2/17/14 at 3:48am
post #490 of 495

yeah I really want these.

post #491 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMuuu View Post


These are like many headphones out of box that don't meet expectations. They need the break in time and paired with a decent amp. Mids can be adjusted with equalizers on computer or mp3.

 

My disappointment was the BASS wasn't earth shattering, but that was just plugged into my laptop. In time, the BASS is amazing IMO.

 

Tried McKinley amp. Not bad. Bravo Ocean. Once amp broke in, AMAZING!

 

Did mods (heart rate will elevate, need steady hands), and played the hell out of them (leave them and go do stuff as they broke in)

 

Final Result: 90s never sounded so good. I stick to my "club attached to my head" statement. A must for any collection! I have 6 pairs, but I have these on more often than not. My V-Moda LP2s have been getting less and less. Shure (440,dj750) once in a blue moon. Numark Electrowave and Fanny Wangs 2k, almost never now.

 

GET EM!

 



Man, break in. It's funny because the XB900 were the first "audiophile" headphones I got and at first I though the bass was amazing. Then overtime of course the bass just got more "Earth-shattering" (however, the highs became a bit too much, imo). Then when I got my ATH-M50's, I thought they had a much more flat response. Now, after using some XB-1000 I'm really noticing the break in. It's like having a sub woofer inside your head. Driving with a Fiio E12 and eq'd with the bass on max.
post #492 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emongaa View Post
 

Does anyone know where to get replacement ear pads for the XB1000?

 

Saw some on eBay.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/251435772502

post #493 of 495
I cant wait to get the ZX-1 and try these with it.
post #494 of 495
Doesn't the JVC SZ-2000 thump a ton more than these?
post #495 of 495
The real disappointment is the jack constantly breaking off. I've gone through three pairs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR xb1000? NEw? OMG