Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR xb1000? NEw? OMG
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR xb1000? NEw? OMG - Page 32

post #466 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

I still very much would like to see a frequency response graph for these with Sony listing the specs as reaching down to 2 Hz. :P


Which, of course, remains completely moot unless you're listening to earthquake recordings.

 

post #467 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpearce View Post


Which, of course, remains completely moot unless you're listening to earthquake recordings.


Ofc but I'm interested in seeing how the curve looks like down low (not so much past like 10Hz) but on the way DOWN TOWARDs 10Hz, if it's like a steep uphill from say 70Hz downwards for example. :P Based on the description these doesn't seem to have that much of a midbass presence at all so I'm thinking it would look quite funny. XB700 already was quite special in this regard, started having the biggest boost around the areas where other headphones starts rolling off. Also I'm interested in the mids/highs, if the recessed mids can be seen from the graph or not like quite a lot people described.

 


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 11/9/11 at 11:06am
post #468 of 499

I found the XB 1000 from Beach Audio for $189 & I think that was shipped. They arrived promptly in a new, unopened box. There were 11 pairs left the last time I checked. I think your offer of $200 used is fair because $299.99 is the lowest price elsewhere. Good luck selling them. By the way, I absolutely love the XB1000. I don't tend to think of them as "bass-ie;" just accurate with a very good frequency response.

post #469 of 499

OK, didn't know Tyll had actually tested these as I didn't know he had tests up for headphones he hasn't written a review about. Anyway here's the link, doesn't look impressive at all from the frequency response curve and what's suprising is that XB500 and XB700 both have better bass extension too. Oo  Too unbalanced in the mids and highs IMO. Bass looks fine for a basshead though. But that drop at 2kHz & 5kHz, ouch. Now it makes sense about the comments about the perhaps even more recessed mids.

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRXB1000.pdf


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 11/27/11 at 4:20am
post #470 of 499

Are the XB1000s out of production ?

 

Sony's website says they are "No Longer Available"

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=MDRXB1000

 

Does anyone know for sure if they discontinued the XB1000s ?


Edited by Cry_Me_A_River - 3/23/12 at 12:09am
post #471 of 499

Wouldn't suprise me as they didn't seem to be that impressive sound wise and probably cost too much to make so there's little profit to make out of a special 70mm driver that would need a peaked interest to be worth having in production which doesn't seem to be the case (probably worse than expected).

post #472 of 499

Hey, i own a pair of XB 1000's and 500's.

 

Out of both of them i would say that the 500's have a more punchy bass thats "in your face",  initialy it comes off as though they have more bass.  But after listening to the 1000's you realise that the bass is more of a feel, and that there is more of it in smaller doses.

 

Both have exeptional Highs and mids.  I listen to all kinds of music ranging from all types of electronic music to Rock.

 

With that said if you get the right type of song the 1000's will not sit back idle, they can and will punch you in the head given the chance. Its honestly like having massive subwoofers straped to your head.

 

When it comes to the other headphones you mentioned, i never listened to them so your gonna need someone else for them.

post #473 of 499

I just got my XB500's today and I got to say I truely underestimated them.  Their bass is pretty stunning with an EQ.  Right off the bat they weren't bad, but once I used iTunes to amplify the EQ and give it a Treble Boost while adding Bass Frequency Boost to it, it started shaking my head.  It got too fatiguing.  I really like how much bass they have, I just wish all that bass wasn't fatiguing after a while.  I still crave for it though.

post #474 of 499
Hi,
My adventure started some days ago, I sat in an webcommerce and looked at headsets for sale.
Have been using Koss Porta Pro since... forever.... and for gaming I use Logitech G35, which I feel has a lot of bass!

That beeing said, I was lookind and some sony's caught my eye. They were of the DJ-sort, not the XB-series..
I googled them and I found videos of them on youtube where people said they worked better than the beats by dr.dre that cost 50% more.

So I got a tad interested in the sony headphones and I found that there are several series, the XB, the M* and some others..
Since I looked at specs of drivers and such at first glance, I thought I had to investigate more.

Then I found the XB series in another ecommerce, the XB600 gold looked so pimp! So I tried googling more.
Suddenly I found this fairytale with 70mm drivers, called the XB1000.

The sony website says they are discontinued, I read some about them, but I cant find a lot of info compared to other headsets.
I guess this is due to the price, also that they look like strapping some monster truck wheels on your head! (rather silly).
I also dont find them all that pretty in the pictures, though that might change when the awsomeness arrives.

So, yes.. I said arrives! I ordered them for 1600 Norwegian kroners! That is 262 US $!
Looking forward to testing these! I will use them mostly at work I guess, listening to trance, electro, rock, etc. I may use them in transit too, but I dont know if I dare, since it would look rather silly!
post #475 of 499

I got these cans for fun. I wanted something to just numb my brain with bass once in awhile.

 

Honestly, if you can find them cheap then they are definitely worth it but the sound isn't really anything special.

 

The comfort was great even though they are massive. As for the bass though, it's good but particular. First of all it only kicks in at sub bass and there's a lot of songs that don't use sub bass as much compared to mid-bass. I also have the pro 900s and these guys are two completely different animals when it comes to bass. They can't compete in bass because they don't even have the same type of bass. It's weird thing to say but I found I love the bass on the xb1000 when a song actually compliments the sub-bass well. They are like being in a car with massive subwoofers right next to your head and it just rattles your brain

 

.On the other hand I feel disappointed when a song that I love with my pro 900s comes on and I can't even enjoy it properly with my xb1000 because it just lacks mid bass comparatively. All in all the xb1000 are just good at one thing, and it's sub bass. IF you can find them cheap I would buy them otherwise there are a lot better well rounded cans in their price range. Also, if you only care about bass .. I would try the pro 900s over the xb1000 if you can find a good deal. They are at least somewhere well rounded COMPARED to the xb1000s. I only mention them because I saw them on amazon for really cheap $250.

post #476 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morghulis View Post

I got these cans for fun. I wanted something to just numb my brain with bass once in awhile.

 

Honestly, if you can find them cheap then they are definitely worth it but the sound isn't really anything special.

 

The comfort was great even though they are massive. As for the bass though, it's good but particular. First of all it only kicks in at sub bass and there's a lot of songs that don't use sub bass as much compared to mid-bass. I also have the pro 900s and these guys are two completely different animals when it comes to bass. They can't compete in bass because they don't even have the same type of bass. It's weird thing to say but I found I love the bass on the xb1000 when a song actually compliments the sub-bass well. They are like being in a car with massive subwoofers right next to your head and it just rattles your brain

 

.On the other hand I feel disappointed when a song that I love with my pro 900s comes on and I can't even enjoy it properly with my xb1000 because it just lacks mid bass comparatively. All in all the xb1000 are just good at one thing, and it's sub bass. IF you can find them cheap I would buy them otherwise there are a lot better well rounded cans in their price range. Also, if you only care about bass .. I would try the pro 900s over the xb1000 if you can find a good deal. They are at least somewhere well rounded COMPARED to the xb1000s. I only mention them because I saw them on amazon for really cheap $250.

I know of more than one instance where someone preferred the XB1000 to the Pro 900, and seing as they are much cheaper, and imo better looking, should I consider them?

post #477 of 499

the xb1000 are far better than the pro 900's the bass is not even in the same league the xb1000 obliterates the pro 900's 

post #478 of 499

Don't waste your time.  the XB1000's are in the top 3 worst pairs of SONYs I've ever owned.  The sound is so hollow and tin can sounding (let's not forget the reduced bass) that I had to immediately rip them off my head and switch to the vastly superior sound of my old XB500s.  :(

post #479 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowington View Post

Don't waste your time.  the XB1000's are in the top 3 worst pairs of SONYs I've ever owned.  The sound is so hollow and tin can sounding (let's not forget the reduced bass) that I had to immediately rip them off my head and switch to the vastly superior sound of my old XB500s.  :(

did you use them with an amp?

post #480 of 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post

did you use them with an amp?


An amplifier is certainly required to get the most out of the 70mm drivers used in the XB1000. Due to the drivers being so large for headphones, they require lots of power to work to their full potential. Its seems you were powering them from a mp3 player of some sort without a amplifier because you say that the XB500 are much more superior. Well let me tell you that the reason why to your ears is because the XB500 don't really need an amp because of smaller 40mm drivers, so they sound better if compared against the XB1000.


Edited by Bassheadspl - 8/8/13 at 3:59am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR xb1000? NEw? OMG