There are so many threads on these headphones with all kinds of opinions. It's unfortunate to start a new thread and then base your decision on the 3 people who respond. Most people have already said what they think about them.
Related Forum Threads
- Best over the ear headphones under $200 Last post on 12/16/12 at 12:47pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Over-Ear Headphone and Amp Combo for a budget. Last post on 8/10/12 at 4:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me find a new pair of over-ear headphones! Last post on 10/5/12 at 2:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing over ear headphones under $200 Last post on 7/17/12 at 2:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ...need some advice for buying a new over the ear head phones... Last post on 10/23/12 at 6:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Wireless headphones…bluetooth even…last time I tried anything wireless was my cordless phone and before that was probably back in the “70’s” with an "all in one headphone with FM/AM radio", anyway...
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
ATH M50 for my music - Page 2post #16 of 201/14/11 at 6:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 201/14/11 at 10:59pmQuote:
Hes right, although i still love reading anything to do with the M50's ,,,, cause i lurve thempost #18 of 201/28/11 at 10:02pmThread Starterpost #19 of 201/29/11 at 12:43am
Just to throw my own 2-cents into the mix.
I own the M50s (a very satisfied listener) and have auditioned the SRH840's a couple times at the local Guitar Center. I know that's not the same as owning a pair, but it's better than nothing--I actually listened to the Shure's earlier today when I was comparing them against some Beyers.
In any case, the M50's are excellent all-around cans IMHO, and not limited to hip-hop fans or bassheads. There's been so much use of "recessed mids" to describe them, both here and in almost every other thread about the M50's. I think until you've heard neutral or even forward mids, you won't really understand how much of an exaggeration 'recessed' is. I will agree that the SRH840's sounded much more forward, the mids being very much apparent, but I think unless you're actively looking to hear out the mids, you won't be missing anything with the M50's.Granted, that's just another opinion, but if that's what you want to base your decision on, I highly suggest searching some of the other threads for more input on this same type of debate (i.e. SRH840 vs M50).
Some other things to consider that may/may not help your decision: the M50's are much more portable, being able to fold up should you ever want to carry them somewhere. The 840's are generally a little more uncomfortable for long-term use, but if you have sensitive ears, then the M50's may feel more uncomfortable because of the tighter headband (this can be stretched out though, and actually 840 pads can be used on the M50 to increase comfort). The 840's also have a detachable cord.post #20 of 201/29/11 at 1:18am
The answer to this thread is very simple, does the OP like neutral and balanced and natural sound, or bassy, warm, fun mainstream sound.
Here are the options-
Shure 840 - if you want balanced
AT m50 - if you want fun
Tier 2, next step up:
Beyer DT250 - if you want balanced
Beyer DT770 - if you want fun
How much you wanna spend determines what tier, and what sound signature you like determines the phone, it really is quite simple. I would personally go balanced sound for the types of music you listen to.
- ATH M50 for my music
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Denon AH-MM400 59 seconds ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 1 minute ago
- › Official Head-Fi Houston Fourth-of-July Weekend Meet: Saturday -... 1 minute ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB50: All of your basses...all of them. 3 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 4 minutes ago
- › Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 16, 2016, Wikia HQ 5 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 6 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 7 minutes ago
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Rob80b
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...