There are so many threads on these headphones with all kinds of opinions. It's unfortunate to start a new thread and then base your decision on the 3 people who respond. Most people have already said what they think about them.
Related Forum Threads
- Best over the ear headphones under $200 Last post on 12/16/12 at 12:47pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Over-Ear Headphone and Amp Combo for a budget. Last post on 8/10/12 at 4:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me find a new pair of over-ear headphones! Last post on 10/5/12 at 2:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing over ear headphones under $200 Last post on 7/17/12 at 2:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ...need some advice for buying a new over the ear head phones... Last post on 10/23/12 at 6:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I got these on a pawn shop deal, and wanted some cheap headphones that could deliver for what I was looking for. An all-arounder that provided clarity, good bass, nice treble, and handled all...
Introduction: I still don't know why I keep buying headphones, really! I thought I was done but no, headphones like this one have to pop up on my radar and I'm weak enough that I have to buy...
Comparing these to my Philips L1 and my Beyer T1 they have a lot more mid-bass through midrange and are slightly tilted toward the high. They sound great but quite a bit different sound signature...
DISCLAIMER This review is based on the demo set at Jaben Singapore, which I have demoed extensively no less than 3 times. Though fit is pretty good, but as perfect fit is not achieved, I shall...
Sound Quality Straight out of the box, it sounded great, pretty much like the original CAL!. I’ve done over 100 hours of burn-in. DAC is FiiO E10. As I mentioned in one of the posts, it reminded...
ATH M50 for my music - Page 2post #16 of 201/14/11 at 6:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 201/14/11 at 10:59pmQuote:
Hes right, although i still love reading anything to do with the M50's ,,,, cause i lurve thempost #18 of 201/28/11 at 10:02pmThread Starterpost #19 of 201/29/11 at 12:43am
Just to throw my own 2-cents into the mix.
I own the M50s (a very satisfied listener) and have auditioned the SRH840's a couple times at the local Guitar Center. I know that's not the same as owning a pair, but it's better than nothing--I actually listened to the Shure's earlier today when I was comparing them against some Beyers.
In any case, the M50's are excellent all-around cans IMHO, and not limited to hip-hop fans or bassheads. There's been so much use of "recessed mids" to describe them, both here and in almost every other thread about the M50's. I think until you've heard neutral or even forward mids, you won't really understand how much of an exaggeration 'recessed' is. I will agree that the SRH840's sounded much more forward, the mids being very much apparent, but I think unless you're actively looking to hear out the mids, you won't be missing anything with the M50's.Granted, that's just another opinion, but if that's what you want to base your decision on, I highly suggest searching some of the other threads for more input on this same type of debate (i.e. SRH840 vs M50).
Some other things to consider that may/may not help your decision: the M50's are much more portable, being able to fold up should you ever want to carry them somewhere. The 840's are generally a little more uncomfortable for long-term use, but if you have sensitive ears, then the M50's may feel more uncomfortable because of the tighter headband (this can be stretched out though, and actually 840 pads can be used on the M50 to increase comfort). The 840's also have a detachable cord.post #20 of 201/29/11 at 1:18am
The answer to this thread is very simple, does the OP like neutral and balanced and natural sound, or bassy, warm, fun mainstream sound.
Here are the options-
Shure 840 - if you want balanced
AT m50 - if you want fun
Tier 2, next step up:
Beyer DT250 - if you want balanced
Beyer DT770 - if you want fun
How much you wanna spend determines what tier, and what sound signature you like determines the phone, it really is quite simple. I would personally go balanced sound for the types of music you listen to.
- ATH M50 for my music
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
- › SR60-Mod part II 32 seconds ago
- › TDK IE800 Dual High-Performance Dynamic Micro-Drivers IEM 35 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800... 45 seconds ago
- › Review: SPL Auditor 1 minute ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 1 minute ago
- › need help upgrading USB cable 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 5 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 6 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 6 minutes ago
- › $1000 Challenge - List your best amp/headphone pairing that can be... 7 minutes ago
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Skullcandy INK'D Earbuds (Green) by Bassbanger101
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi