or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 66

post #976 of 3844


i thought i would be disappointed too with the bass output so i got a fiio e11 also... just to be "shure". but now i see that it doesnt even need an amp to sound great straight out of my ipod classic or macbook.

 

amped... its becomes an even greater headphone. then you got options of EQ'ing some more of the lows if you find it "lacking". its gonna take that and give you what you want. great great headphone overall. big upgrade from my srh440s.

 

and yes i agree with a lot of posts saying that source is very important. 

 

enjoy. be ready for quite a surprise. :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Tomorrow I'll finally get my srh940, I'm excited.

I'll see if I'm  pleased or not  by the  bass, the descriptions from reviews were a bit confusing.



 

post #977 of 3844

I've listened to the 940s through four different amplifiers and heard stronger bass, so I don't think it's an issue of the amplifiers being coloured. At least, no more than any amp is coloured in comparison to the iPod's headphone out (bass light, slightly harsh treble).

 

Never mind that every piece of audio equipment is coloured at least a little bit...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikryst View Post

so for those on the fence about getting an amp... it is not necessary. for those saying that it needs an amp to open up the lows... then they are probably using a colored amplifier. 

 



 

post #978 of 3844

I've had no damage so far to the plastic. I would say these things are pretty durable, but I'm careful with my stuff.

 

The headband is bending a little more on the left side than the right side, though. No biggie so far, but I'm keeping my eye on it.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

There are a few people who have had their SRH940's since release. Maybe they can chime in how bad the damage has been since release and if the paint has been an issue.

 



 

post #979 of 3844

I don't feel like reading all 66 pages of this thread, and I haven't found my answer in the last ten pages. Sorry if this has been said before.

 

I own the SRH 440. I find the ear pads very hard and sticky at times. I read many comparison between the 840 and 440 pads, saying how the 840 were softer. I think I read the 840 pads were made of memory foam. It is common knowledge that using the 840 pads on the 440 is an improvement in comfort. My question is, are the 940 pads made as soft and comfortable as the 840? Are they recommended for use on the 440?

 

I would think so, since the 940 are considered higher end than the 840. I'd just like a confirmation of this before I order the 940 pads.

 

Thanks

post #980 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimLaroux View Post

I don't feel like reading all 66 pages of this thread, and I haven't found my answer in the last ten pages. Sorry if this has been said before.

 

I own the SRH 440. I find the ear pads very hard and sticky at times. I read many comparison between the 840 and 440 pads, saying how the 840 were softer. I think I read the 840 pads were made of memory foam. It is common knowledge that using the 840 pads on the 440 is an improvement in comfort. My question is, are the 940 pads made as soft and comfortable as the 840? Are they recommended for use on the 440?

 

I would think so, since the 940 are considered higher end than the 840. I'd just like a confirmation of this before I order the 940 pads.

 

Thanks


Argh, I recall reading something about this somewhere in this thread too....

 

I think I've read that the 940 pads are more comfortable than the 840's since they're made of velour rather than pleather. However, I also seem to recall that the 940 pads reduced the bass on the 840's and the 840's pads increased the bass on the 940's. I don't quite recall the specifics though.

 

post #981 of 3844

So I got to hear a pair of SRH940s today. I was a previous SRH-840 owner (liked them very much, but the comfort wasn't the greatest with my melon). I was very impressed with their comfort and construction. Very nicely improved over the 840s in this area.

 

My source was a Peachtree Nova/Denon SACD player. They sounded quite "open" for closed headphones and very spacious. That said, I preferred the sound of the SRH840s. I just couldn't get over the light bass. frown.gif

 

 

post #982 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

So I got to hear a pair of SRH940s today. I was a previous SRH-840 owner (liked them very much, but the comfort wasn't the greatest with my melon). I was very impressed with their comfort and construction. Very nicely improved over the 840s in this area.

 

My source was a Peachtree Nova/Denon SACD player. They sounded quite "open" for closed headphones and very spacious. That said, I preferred the sound of the SRH840s. I just couldn't get over the light bass. frown.gif

 

 


Heya,

 

The bass isn't light, it's neutral. You're used to booming mid-bass caused by more isolation with pleather pads. Or you simply prefer more mid-bass bloom. There's nothing in the reviews and information in the thread that claims that the headphons are bassy, in terms of being colored towards bass. It's common knowledge and the reviews all state that the headphone is neutral and forward on the mids/highs. The bass is very extensive, it can drop quite low, but it's not by any means a bassy headphone. It will however, reproduce accurate bass for something like a cello, but it will not do the sub-bass vibration and thump of a subwhoofer.

 

Some people need a lot of bass. I'm a basshead myself. I have Ultrasone PRO 900's for that reason. The SRH940 is not a bassy headphone in that sense. It's good for literally everything except bass-centered music because of that. I would not call it an everything headphone, because I just preferred more bass on my electronica and some other things, so I have more than one headphone.

 

Anyhow, keep listening to your SRH940. Also, know that you can EQ it quite a bit and it takes a lot to distort it (unless you're unamped). You can actually give it quite an oumph in bass if you increase the lower frequencies just a few dB, and it suddenly fills out if you're looking for more (bloomed) bass.

 

Very best,

 

post #983 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post




Heya,

 

The bass isn't light, it's neutral. You're used to booming mid-bass caused by more isolation with pleather pads. Or you simply prefer more mid-bass bloom. There's nothing in the reviews and information in the thread that claims that the headphons are bassy, in terms of being colored towards bass. It's common knowledge and the reviews all state that the headphone is neutral and forward on the mids/highs. The bass is very extensive, it can drop quite low, but it's not by any means a bassy headphone. It will however, reproduce accurate bass for something like a cello, but it will not do the sub-bass vibration and thump of a subwhoofer.

 

Some people need a lot of bass. I'm a basshead myself. I have Ultrasone PRO 900's for that reason. The SRH940 is not a bassy headphone in that sense. It's good for literally everything except bass-centered music because of that. I would not call it an everything headphone, because I just preferred more bass on my electronica and some other things, so I have more than one headphone.

 

Anyhow, keep listening to your SRH940. Also, know that you can EQ it quite a bit and it takes a lot to distort it (unless you're unamped). You can actually give it quite an oumph in bass if you increase the lower frequencies just a few dB, and it suddenly fills out if you're looking for more (bloomed) bass.

 

Very best,

 


LoL...I think I know what constitutes as neutral bass....I wouldn't classify these as neutral bass. Neither would the FR graphs. You are entitled to your opinion, but guess what, so am I and I don't have to be a Monster Beats fan to hold my opinion.

 

 

BTW, just have a look at the gear I own/owned....I think I've been around the block enough times. wink.gif So please tell me how the HD800s, T1s, HE-6s, HD600s, LCD-2s have "mid bass bloom"?

 

 


Edited by MacedonianHero - 8/19/11 at 7:26pm
post #984 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post




LoL...I think I know what constitutes as neutral bass....I wouldn't classify these as neutral bass. Neither would the FR graphs.

 

 

BTW, just have a look at the gear I own/owned....I think I've been around the block enough times. " id="yui_3_3_0_8_131380608369620" rel="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/wink.gif">wink.gif So please tell me how the HD800s, T1s, HE-6s, HD600s, LCD-2s have "mid bass bloom"?

 

 


I have to agree with Peter (MH). I have the HD800, which by many accounts are either bass neutral or bass light, and even the Senn has more impactful bass. I think the 940 bass is more akin to the AKG K70x bass. The bass mod for the Shure does help though. I use it and it gives the 940's bass a bit more needed impact. Btw, I'm not a basshead either.
post #985 of 3844

Don't ask me why, but the more I hear people say they're bass neutral or even bass light, the more I want them. Is this wrong?

 

If the bass has little impact and is similar to the K601 or KRK KNS-6400 then I'll be happy.

 

BTW is there an upper mids peak on the SRH-940? I think I'll probably like them if so. I keep dreaming I'll be able to snag a pair for $200 with some sale, but highly unlikely. Maybe I'll bite if they come down to $230 or so. Maybe I can score a good deal by calling JR. Me being the cheapskate hates closed headphones so much that I won't want to spend $250 on a closed pair made of plastic. Sorry, yes, I'm too picky. I want them made out of solid STEEL!!

post #986 of 3844


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post



I have to agree with Peter (MH). I have the HD800, which by many accounts are either bass neutral or bass light, and even the Senn has more impactful bass. I think the 940 bass is more akin to the AKG K70x bass. The bass mod for the Shure does help though. I use it and it gives the 940's bass a bit more needed impact. Btw, I'm not a basshead either.


I am very happy with the HD800's bass impact...but the K701s and 940s just didn't do it for me in the bass department.

 

post #987 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Don't ask me why, but the more I hear people say they're bass neutral or even bass light, the more I want them. Is this wrong?

 

If the bass has little impact and is similar to the K601 or KRK KNS-6400 then I'll be happy.

 

BTW is there an upper mids peak on the SRH-940? I think I'll probably like them if so. I keep dreaming I'll be able to snag a pair for $200 with some sale, but highly unlikely. Maybe I'll bite if they come down to $230 or so. Maybe I can score a good deal by calling JR. Me being the cheapskate hates closed headphones so much that I won't want to spend $250 on a closed pair made of plastic. Sorry, yes, I'm too picky. I want them made out of solid STEEL!!


I hardly expect at $250 that you'll get steel. LoL I think the 940 is built just about in line with their price. Build quality is pretty much the same as the 840.
post #988 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post



I hardly expect at $250 that you'll get steel. LoL I think the 940 is built just about in line with their price. Build quality is pretty much the same as the 840.


Ross, I thought the build quality and fit was actually above the SRH840s...very nice refinements IMO.

post #989 of 3844

i think the srh840 is one of the most versatile headphones around.

it is my second most favorite closed headphone.  just behind the ultrasone ed.8.  and actually ahead of the d7000.

so, it is quite something considering it's $200 price tag.

 

so, i've been quite keen to try these new 940s.

but, i must confess that the frequency response graphs have me a little concerned, though.

 

using two "tried and true" benchmarks for "warm" vs. "bright" versions of neutral - the HD650 and the K702, you can see that the srh840 tracks closer to the HD650.  with a slightly lumpier path through the midbass and midrange.  with a slightly elevated midbass.

the SRH940 tracks quite closer to the K702.  albeit with a slightly narrower peak in the upper mids / lower treble.  the K702's peak is wider, leading to it's unique s.s.  tongue_smile.gif

 

i'm not trying to throw rocks or anything here.  i just thought it might be helpful for those out there choosing a closed headphone.

particularly if they are at all familar with the sound signatures of the ubiquitous K701 and HD650, then this might help them choose between the 940 and 840 respectively.

 

 

 

hd650-srh840.pngk702-srh940.png


Edited by TheWuss - 8/19/11 at 8:21pm
post #990 of 3844

Here is a good deal on an opened box but unused set of Shure SRH940's.   Best price I have seen anywhere!   They are also a Shure-authorized reseller so they are also coverd by the factory warranty.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread