I knew I wasn't the only one who thought the 840 was lacking in bass! :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/18/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 1/18/11
- brandShuretagged by System, 1/18/11
- productShure SE215tagged by System, 12/15/11
- productShure SRH 550 DJtagged by System, 1/26/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 1/26/11
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 1/20/11
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone else actually prefer the Shure SRH940s over their younger brother 840s? Last post on 12/11/11 at 9:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Which of these headphones are the best for me... Last post on 1/13/13 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- What $200 headphones have detachable cables? Last post on 7/24/12 at 7:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction Oriveti seems to be a rather obscure company, without any big breaks or long-running hype trains. They offer a single model that seems to be highly regarded, but hasn't really...
Background: The Audio-Technica CK10 is a dual BA IEM that was released in 2008, back then in those simpler times, CIEMs were a highly niche market, three BA drivers per ear was considered a lot,...
Focal Utopia Review Utopia - definition: An imagined state of things in which everything is perfect. My initial intention was just to write some detailed impressions, but throughout that...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I'd like to acknowledge Head-fier Ajaxander (Andy) and also Ken Ball from ALO/Campfire...
Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 6post #76 of 38441/16/11 at 9:51pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 38441/16/11 at 9:54pm
UAH MY EYES!!!!!, what happened to the sleek black, utilitarian look of the Shure's.post #78 of 38441/16/11 at 9:55pmQuote:
that's because they are a studio monitor, not a bass can they are supposed to be detailed not bassy.post #79 of 38441/16/11 at 10:33pmQuote:
if you want bass and quality just downgrade about 10$ and get the srh750dj. 10$ was the only difference at my local best buy.
post #80 of 38441/17/11 at 12:15am
I do have to agree with some of the people here--now that I've seen the 940 a couple times, the silver just doesn't do it for me (and that's ironic because Argyris means "silver" in Greek). It's synonymous with lower midrange computer towers from about 2006 for me. Brushed silver metal is gorgeous. Silver plastic is anything but. This of course is all IMO.post #81 of 38441/17/11 at 12:58amQuote:
True, the SRH750DJ does bring a nice boost in bass. I just wish it retained the form factor and build quality of the SRH840 in the bargain. As it is, I find the SRH750DJ too uncomfortable (e.g. having too little swivel; too wide a headband arc; and too-shallow earpads with inferior, SRH440-grade stuffing) and too creaky to be practical for regular, extended listening.post #82 of 38441/17/11 at 1:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Argyris
I do have to agree with some of the people here--now that I've seen the 940 a couple times, the silver just doesn't do it for me (and that's ironic because Argyris means "silver" in Greek). It's synonymous with lower midrange computer towers from about 2006 for me. Brushed silver metal is gorgeous. Silver plastic is anything but. This of course is all IMO.
yea, brushed steel=sexy, silver plastic=sad old street walker.post #83 of 38441/17/11 at 7:42am
but guys, of they didn't change the headband, and simply added 4 bumps...wouldn't the people who complained of the pressure on the top of there head be yelping in pain...post #84 of 38441/17/11 at 8:06am
Just comparing the front and side views with my 840s, it looks like every piece is new. Oval outer cup areas, for instance. Headband looks different too (I mean besides the obvious "bumps").
The 840s don't really lack for bass for me. They're about equal to my Denons in the lower frequencies.post #85 of 38441/17/11 at 9:33am
I'm constantly amazed with all the different headphone designs out there. You'd think by now they'd know what constitutes a comfortable pair and just work on driver and enclosure design. After all, we buy them to listen to, not to look at.post #86 of 38441/17/11 at 10:13am
Well, there are differently-shaped heads to consider. And different applications (portable, head-banging, lying in bed, studio, office...). And very open vs. open vs. semi-open vs. closed-but-not-very-isolating vs. closed. And heavy vs. light. And circum-aural vs. supra-aural. And different materials. And driver sizes. And enclosure dampings and materials.post #87 of 38441/17/11 at 9:41pmQuote:
I too dislike the "metallic" look for plastic; it just looks cheap. "I'm just plastic, but I so wish I were metal!"post #88 of 38441/17/11 at 9:43pmpost #89 of 38441/17/11 at 10:44pmpost #90 of 38441/17/11 at 10:48pm
I favor the m50 over the 840 due to the headband actually being tailored to a real human head, unlike the Shure 840 which is tailored for something not human. Studio monitors should always be comfortable, no excuses. The Beyer DT150 was just insanely terrible in the headband and the Shure 840 was also pretty awful, both were shaped oddly and did not conform to the head well at all, put a lot of pressure at one spot at the top of your head, so its nice to see the new one has a more corrected shape...
...unlike this dt150
or the 840 thats not ^ that bad but still annoying
- Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 36 seconds ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 59 seconds ago
- › Greetings from down here to my peeps in the Noble thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 1 minute ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › ad700x how loud? 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 7 minutes ago
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by harry501501
- › RHA MA750i by meetpatel3686
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY - Whole Aluminium Body, Triple Drivers Hybrid 2... by ustinj
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones by mrstrangeguy
- › Focal Utopia by x RELIC x
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...