I received the 940's today and here are my first impressions:
- They are hard to drive, I would not recommended these headphones for a single standard portable source like an ipod. You really need an amp for this babies, my EU iPod alone could not drive them, my Arrow had to be put in the Gain 2 setting.
- At its early stages they have quite a grainy treble, I hope it improves
- Its neutral, certainly not sweet like ed.8, pro900 and the 840's, and I like this!
- The Bass seems perfectly controlled, again neutral, not overemphasized like the headphones I mentioned above. I really liked this about the 940's, Im tired of cans that claim High-end and overemphasize Bass.
- Voices sound very, very good, especially female
- Very detailed headphone, hi-res, I was not expecting this from Shure. They live up to the "Critical Listening" marketing they use.
- High quality built, but to my taste these are really, really ugly. Grotesque proportions and over-designed forms/shapes, a pitty
- Good isolation and so far very comfortable