or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 28

post #406 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germancub View Post

And to anybody speculating on the sound without actually having heard them,
PLEASE STOP. That seems to be a growing pandemic on head-fi and it's really annoying.


 

THANK YOU!!  I cannot think of a bigger waste of bandwidth than people who haven't heard a certain set of cans opining about how they sound.

 

post #407 of 3844

Okay. I'm picking up a pair of these tomorrow. I *need* a good closed can. W1000x will have to wait.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germancub View Post

Earphone solutions had the best price on them I found, for $254 shipped, if you use discount code "et5". Anyway, as for soundstage, I feel that it's the largest ive ever heard in a closed can, giving most open dynamics a run for their money. It's vast, actually and completely dwarfs the HD650's soundstage in my opiniion. It's very similar to the DT880 and T1 in more ways than one, with detail resolution, bass extension and refinement on an even higher level than anything I've personally heard in a dynamic headphone, especially at this price point. If I had a gun to my head and had to choose one headphone to live with for the rest of my "career", I'd choose these. They're not as picky about source as most headphones, they sound just perfect unamped and just always sound great with everything I've tried with them.

 

I suspected so. HD650's soundstage is amazingly small for it being open. Although I didn't upgrade.
 

 


Edited by Katun - 6/5/11 at 8:21pm
post #408 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

I think I'm going to buy these next and do a comparison of them against my DJ100 and KRK KNS-6400. I bet the DJ100 will still be my favorite closed headphone for female vocals, but maybe I'll be shocked and surprised.

The SRH-840 lost out to my DJ100 and KRK KNS-8400, so the 940 better be good! regular_smile%20.gif

 

So..on a scale of 1 to 10 what is the comfort?

How about the level of detail? Does it have more detail than say the DT-880 or K702? I imagine way more than the 840.

 

What's the cheapest price on these? I may sell my K702 to get a pair. I almost never use my K702 anymore.

 

BTW I still hate the price..sorry...I guess if they're sound really good then maybe they'll be worth it.

 

I don't care how nice all that plastic is, it's still plastic..and $300. Shure isn't exactly known for making comfortable headphones either.

 

Maybe I'll score a deal on them at JR like I did with the HD-650/598.


I personally found 840 quite detailed.

post #409 of 3844

Are the SRH940's earcups any deeper (earpads taller) than the SRH840s, from anyone who has both or has owned both?  My left ear actually touches the grille on my SRH840s, which gets annoying after a while.

post #410 of 3844

Alright, ordered these for $300 (missed the $280 deal this morning). But at least I'll get them Wednesday due to ordering with Amazon Prime. I'll post impressions once they get here. I have a feeling I'll be impressed.

post #411 of 3844
The ear cups are pretty much exactly the same as far as depth and length goes, as the pads are swappable between both. Katun, welcome to the club, I know you're going to love them!
post #412 of 3844

Thanks. I'm like, "What Club?" and then I looked at your signature... biggrin.gif

 

It'll be my first Shure headphone. I'm excited to see how it sounds.

post #413 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germancub View Post

The ear cups are pretty much exactly the same as far as depth and length goes, as the pads are swappable between both.

 

Thanks for the info!
 

 

post #414 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

Alright, ordered these for $300 (missed the $280 deal this morning). But at least I'll get them Wednesday due to ordering with Amazon Prime. I'll post impressions once they get here. I have a feeling I'll be impressed.


Looking forward to your impressions Katun. I've read some of your reviews and I think they're great.

 

post #415 of 3844

I A/B'd the 840s and 940s at a meet recently and although I didn't spend enough time with them my initial sense is that the sound is quite different between the two.  My biggest observation was that the 940s sounded more open while the 840s had a more forward midrange.  I would say that all in all the 940s were generally superior.  However, these are very rough observations.

post #416 of 3844

Hi all

 

I'm a satisfied srh840 owner(actually i think they are pretty good,and one of the most natural sounding closed cans out there)

I use them with an ipod nano 5th gen and sometimes with a MF Xcan v8.

 

My only two complains are the following:

 

1)Comfort. They are not bad,but after a long listening session,my ears get sweaty

 

2)There is a slight mid bass/bass emphasis that i don't really like so much.

 

So i wanna ask if somebody tried 940 velour pads on 840.Is that bass emphasis a bit reduced with the 940 pads,and are the 840 with the 940 pads a bit more comfortable overall,especially in warm summer days?

Also,what other sonic differences do you hear when you're using 940 velour pads on 840?(I find mids,and especially treble,to be just right on the 840 with the pleather pads)

 

Thanks in advance,and sorry for my english :)

post #417 of 3844

Alright, just got these a few moments ago, and I've been able to try them out!

 

First off, the build is exceptional considering it's all plastic. Very detailed, very sleek, and very clean. No complaints.

 

Comfort on the ears is very good. Comfort on the head, not so much. Right away the headband irritated me, but by the end of my first song, it wasn't nearly as noticeable. Now that I have them off my head and typing this, I feel like there is an indent in my head, and it kinda hurts. Hopefully, it will improve with a bit of stretching over time?

 

Sound wise, they definitely exceed my expectations. It's safe for me to say, IF the bass pulls itself together after burn in, these will be hands down in my Top 5 favorite headphones of all time, and possibly my favorite closed. There is just something special about the sound I cannot put my finger on. It just sounds good. It's extremely neutral and very, very detailed. It's a clean sound, without the fatigue. Like mentioned, the bass isn't cutting it though. It bottoms out way too early and has nearly no impact at the moment. I guess it would be good for monitoring? Well, as mentioned by others, if the bass picks up during and after burn in, then these will be flat out awesome!

post #418 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

Alright, just got these a few moments ago, and I've been able to try them out!

 

First off, the build is exceptional considering it's all plastic. Very detailed, very sleek, and very clean. No complaints.

 

Comfort on the ears is very good. Comfort on the head, not so much. Right away the headband irritated me, but by the end of my first song, it wasn't nearly as noticeable. Now that I have them off my head and typing this, I feel like there is an indent in my head, and it kinda hurts. Hopefully, it will improve with a bit of stretching over time?

 

Sound wise, they definitely exceed my expectations. It's safe for me to say, IF the bass pulls itself together after burn in, these will be hands down in my Top 5 favorite headphones of all time, and possibly my favorite closed. There is just something special about the sound I cannot put my finger on. It just sounds good. It's extremely neutral and very, very detailed. It's a clean sound, without the fatigue. Like mentioned, the bass isn't cutting it though. It bottoms out way too early and has nearly no impact at the moment. I guess it would be good for monitoring? Well, as mentioned by others, if the bass picks up during and after burn in, then these will be flat out awesome!


Glad you're enjoying them! They do indeed sound very special, and don't worry about the bass, it does come in very nicely. How would you compare them to your other headphones that you have or have had?
post #419 of 3844

Hey Guys, just received my pair of SRH940s and me and a friend spent an hour comparing it with the Alessandro MS2s. We plugged em both into my HUD-MX1 together and switched headphones to make a comparison.

 

Our first impression was that at the same volume at which i listen to the MS2s (bout 10-11 o clock), the 940s sounded distant and a little recessed. The MS2, in comparison had more punch in terms of bass and treble. We were both a little shocked at what a stark difference it was. However after turning the volume (bout 12-1 o clock) the 940s started to open up. and sound alot more alive. Still didnt quite have the impact that the MS2s had though, and at that volume, hissing from tracks became more obvious and the 940 started to leak sound through the velour pads. That said, the mids on the 940s without burn in, easily trumped the MS2s, voices had alot more depth to them, only catch was that more volume was required to drive them to that sweet spot.

 

Any of you guys own both headphones and have thoughts on this? I'm guessing the 940s still need to be burnt in and they are meant to sound more neutral than the MS2s. I'm a little surprised by how much i prefer the 'fun' sound to a more 'netural' one though. I'm guessing i'm too used to my MS2s

post #420 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet undergrd View Post

Hey Guys, just received my pair of SRH940s and me and a friend spent an hour comparing it with the Alessandro MS2s. We plugged em both into my HUD-MX1 together and switched headphones to make a comparison.

 

Our first impression was that at the same volume at which i listen to the MS2s (bout 10-11 o clock), the 940s sounded distant and a little recessed. The MS2, in comparison had more punch in terms of bass and treble. We were both a little shocked at what a stark difference it was. However after turning the volume (bout 12-1 o clock) the 940s started to open up. and sound alot more alive. Still didnt quite have the impact that the MS2s had though, and at that volume, hissing from tracks became more obvious and the 940 started to leak sound through the velour pads. That said, the mids on the 940s without burn in, easily trumped the MS2s, voices had alot more depth to them, only catch was that more volume was required to drive them to that sweet spot.

 

Any of you guys own both headphones and have thoughts on this? I'm guessing the 940s still need to be burnt in and they are meant to sound more neutral than the MS2s. I'm a little surprised by how much i prefer the 'fun' sound to a more 'netural' one though. I'm guessing i'm too used to my MS2s


If you like the grado sound, or any heavily colored sound signature, Shures will not be your cup of tea as they are the complete opposite. That's why there are so many headphones out there! Personally, I grew tired of grados (look at my sig), and found them to be painfully fatiguing and the neutral open sound of Shures was like angels singing. But, we all hear differently and that's what makes this hobby so much fun. I hope wherever you got them from has a good return policy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread